“The Case of The Missing Spikes & Less the Stellar Few Minutes”
Review of Barney's New York

Barney's New York
Ranked #9 of 38 Shopping in Beverly Hills
More attraction details
Owner description: Barneys is celebrity favorite for a reason-it presents a flawlessly curated selection of classic and trendy women's fashions, plus designer shoes, cosmetics, menswear, and a top-floor restaurant.
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

So I see these wallets - 4th floor. Some on sale and some full price. The salesperson is busy with other customers. No one comes to offer help. A couple walks on and wants to get help even before those of us waiting, about three separate parties.

After a long while, I asked salesperson to please show me the wallets, both the ones on sale and the full price ones. He makes suggestions but seems a little annoyed. I then say I'll take a sale-priced wallet. The next words out of sales person are: Ok, I need to see your ID. I said: I beg your pardon? Yes, I need to see ID, he says.
- Whoa, whoa, whoa! At ease buddy~ step back a little; you're going too fast here... as if stuck on stupid on the store's flawed opening question, and to make the point, I asked: What, for? What if I'm paying cash?
- For your protection he says.
- hmmm (explain to me why I need to be preempted with an aggressive Reverse Cavalry Draw to be protected?)

Very testy salesperson to say the least - and, although the question was out of place, he was not being overtly rude, just aloof at first, then testy.

I could write the name of the salesperson but no need. I'm not putting this case of tone-deafness on a salesperson on the 4th floor. I'm placing blame on Barney's and clearly its policies so they own up to it and how they come across. When asked of his name, he told me it is the name of a Mexican song, followed by a "ya' knaw". To which I said it sounded like a famous taco & guacamole joint on Olvera Street~ which I followed by the word: Thank you (Salamat~). It was kind of a bumpy exchange - and, a tone-deaf customer experience is an understatement.

- he asked if the item was for me or a gift.
- I said for me but to please box it in the original box and a bag. And, also, skip the gift receipt.
- He said: We don't have the original box, only the pouch: We are Barney's you know~
- I asked, Barneys as in you lose the box? Or some sort of incomplete packaging? The item was also missing the certificate of originality card and the extra spare spikes. Come to think of it, this item should have been on sale at the Warehouse site, not at the retail site, given how much it departs from the retail packaging.
- he then offered a Barneys box.
- I said a box is a box - With a ribbon, please.
- he then put a ribbon but made a big, ugly, tight knot; no bow or special curls with the ribbon
- he then discarded the price tag in the trash can, which would have been for my records; I said I might need it. He gave one from a similar wallet but could not wait any longer to see me go away, it seemed.

Is this surreal or what? You just can't make this stuff up~

I attribute his demeanor to burn out maybe or he needs to bet paid better - pay them better Barneys ~ I'm not sure that training would make things much better; in fact, perhaps this is the type of training they get (ignore, act aloof, challenge the customer, get in their head and then they will buy more to prove you wrong tactic) - his knee-jerk reaction asking me for ID looked a little artificial or fictional and he seemed to need convincing himself that he was asking me for ID before even determining the type of payment - the sale was already done: I, the customer, liked the product, had done research online and at competitor stores and saw a good deal and went for it: no need to spoil it~

Most my shopping at Barneys had been online (both at the retail site and at the Warehouse site). I visited all three stores in L.A., BH, the Americana & the Grove. Everyone points me to the BH store for a rich inventory supply of wallets and Italian ties. The selection of wallets and leather goods is very nice on the 4th floor~

They have a big sale after the holidays ~ very good, quality stuff and if you look and sort the prices & products online, you might find great value - but some sale-priced items do not appear on the website; so, you may want to go in person for the luck of the hunt: after all, they ARE Barneys and some items are only offered point-in-time (yet, you should expect all that's intended to be in the box for the item). Their return policy is within 30 days: very seamless.

Date of experience: December 2016

Reviewed 28 November 2016 via mobile

The store is lovely it's as if you are walking into a home. Lovely easy pace and of course friendly staff. The store is spotlessly clean and fresh. I was disappointed that the home wares department had gone?

Date of experience: November 2016
Reviewed 11 May 2016

Part of the upscale retail experience scene here is this giant-sized Barneys replete with all the necessities for looking good in the good life. Fun to see what's for sale, fun to see the shopping scene.

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed 20 March 2015

I arrive and the lady valet who took my car, opened a snack bar right in front of me and proceeded to eat as she entered my vehicle. RUDE!!!!
I explained the situation when I went into the store and the first person acted like it was no big deal. The second person, she just informed me that they are not part of the company and that she would pass on the information. That is not how you take care of something!!!

As far as shopping, I enjoyed looking at all the bags/purses and the sales associates were very nice. I looked at each floor and I loved the arrangement of styles.
When I proceeded to the cosmetics and beauty aids department I felt like a victim in shark invested waters. One person, at least, from each counter quickly came to me and was constantly hovering and trying to push the free product with purchase. It was not that big of an area. Everyone had to have seen me and they were fighting over me, basically. I ended up, buying nothing because of it. They need to learn some decorum.

Date of experience: March 2015