“Key lime pie heaven”
Review of Skates on The Bay

Skates on The Bay
Reserve with OpenTable
Skates on The Bay is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 790 Restaurants in Berkeley
Price range: US$15 - US$50
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: University Ave.
Transit: The AC Transit, #9
Description: Skates on the Bay is known for their fresh market ingredients, innovative menu, and spectacular views of the bay, Golden Gate Bridge, the Bay Bridge, and San Francisco. This beautiful and historic waterfront gathering place for fresh seafood and unmatched views of the San Francisco Bay, recently completed (April, 2012) a major interior design renovation, including the addition of a new raw bar, glass-walled private dining room and innovative menus. Originally opened in 1983 in the Berkeley Marina, the reimagined Skates on the Bay is a stunning restaurant to enjoy cocktails at sunset, late night Happy Hour, weekday lunch, weekend lunch or brunch with the family or dinner with a date any time of year.
Reviewed 8 March 2017

I have a precocious 4 year old boy. Which means Can't Eat In Fancy Restaurants Yet. I learned this at Skates. So to help me with my dining dilemma, the ladies at the front desk, quickly came to rescue. They entertained my son while I viewed the menu and ordered dinner with my server. She sweetly made it to go and even set up my Restaurant's Unlimited card. The food was ready in 15 minutes, completely packed with any and all necessaries, and my son and I continued our night adventure on Berkeley's marina.
Excellent support from excellent people at an excellent restaurant.

Reviewed 7 March 2017

Went here with friends recently on a cool Berkeley evening. There is a nice wine selection by the bottle and by the glass as well as some lovely cocktails. The menu is by no means overwhelming but there is a good selection of apps, mains and desserts. We had the BBQ prawns with grits. While we warned it was spicy, it really was not all that spicy. That said, it was good. The view is incredible and there is a terrific bar area.

Reviewed 4 March 2017

It's OK. The waiters are nice. Flavors are good. They don't seem to get orders right. Prices are high and if it is after dark who cares about the view it is simply black. At sunset it can be a beautiful view. With cocktails at $12 and soft drinks at $8 I would completely avoid the bar as it is both price, error riddled and slow.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

My food buddies and I frequent this comfortable restaurant with the great view of the Bay for birthdays, special celebrations, and just plain lunch. Cocktails, whether specialty or classic, are expertly prepared and presented. When it's cold, go for the warm drinks in mugs, and when it's hot, relax with one of their tall cool tropical creations. Happy hour features all these at good prices w/ a great bar menu. There is also a collection of refreshing wines from which to choose. Splurge on the hot artichoke crab dip appetizer (can't get enough of this stuff), the clam chowder, and any of their pasta dishes with cream sauce. I know, it's a dairy overload, but oh so good on a crisp Bay Area evening. The steamed clams are addictive, and we have never had a bad dinner here in over 20 years, whether it be beef, chicken, or fish. They also serve an array of delicious fresh sushi which we enjoy for lunch on warm summer days. Save room for dessert so you can enjoy a slice of their creamy key lime pie or an ice cream sundae. (there goes the dairy again) Highly recommend this place for comfort, view, and satisfying cuisine.

Reviewed 1 March 2017

Stayed here a couple of times during a week stay at the Double Tree. The food was very good, every in my party enjoyed their entrees. Not a very good craft beer selection and even the ones they offered, they were out! Service was OK, not great....nice walk from the motel.