All reviewsno elevatorgranolacafe next doorcontinental breakfastart museumqueen bedbay viewcampusucblinensquirkscomforterbart
Reviewed 6 June 2016

Folks - this is an old hotel. Given this before you decide to stay here, please realize bathrooms and the bathroom sinks may be small, rooms may be small, but they are nicely decorated. Room 302 has great view, very comfy bed. Service seemed fine, but we were there for a Paul Simon concert and Bancroft had best location for us.

Best - Location (5 minute walk to theater-no parking hassles!), if you need to be at Greek Theater or on UCB. Parking next door for $15 a night, cafe next door, but coffee served at continental breakfast was good.

Could improve - glasses in bathrooms, better towels.

We would definitely return.

Room Tip: Room 302 has view of Bay and Campanili
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2016

I stayed here recently on a business trip. The staff are wonderful and accommodating, though there was a miscommunication on my late check-out - I asked for as late as possible, but 15 minutes after the normal check-out I got a knock on the door asking if I wanted to leave. Apparently a note about late check-out wasn't in their system. Otherwise the staff was wonderful.

As it's an old building, so there are standards we're accustomed to in newer hotels that aren't present here. There are no elevators so any luggage will have to be carried upstairs. Also, rooms and bathrooms are small, but sufficient. The bed was very comfortable and the TV has many channels. One gripe is that WiFi is very spotty in the room (and elsewhere) - so if you have to get online it may be better to use LTE/4G or go to a coffeeshop. The hotel could definitely use an upgrade on it's WiFi.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 April 2016

One of the best aspects of Bancroft Hotel is the location. About a block and a half away from UC Berkeley's campus, the hotel is also next door to Cafe Stradda and perhaps 100 feet from FreeHouse, where you can order a craft beer, burger or fresh kale salad.

When I checked in at Bancroft Hotel, I was happy to learn that this little boutique hotel had 24 hour desk service, free wi-fi, and offered overnight parking for $15 if I was inclined. The hotel is also beautiful, but has an old world feel to it, with the wood floor and beams polished to a shine in the hotel. It's easy to see why weddings are held here.

I checked in, and after being given a metal key, I dragged my luggage up two flights of stairs (no elevator! Historical building...), and was greeted with a genteelly remodeled room with burnished wood floors and high ceilings. The bathroom was small, but brightly lit, clean, and had charming white tiles. I settled into the comfortable bed and fell fast asleep.

The next day I discovered the one big drawback to staying at the Bancroft: the Wi-fi. I was at the Bancroft on business, and so needed to use my company's VPN on my PC in order to log into the corporate network. Well, that didn't work. It didn't work at all. I could receive basic Internet just fine and surf Google, but the instant I logged into my company's VPN, the entire network connection dropped. As much as I enjoyed my stay at the Bancroft, this was a "no-go" for me. I enjoyed the hotel, the convenience to Berkeley, and having a continental breakfast in the morning, but it was a huge inconvenience for me to not be able to use Wi-fi for business at the hotel. I had to leave my room very early and log into my corporate email from Cafe Stradda, next door. As a result, I won't be staying at Bancroft Hotel again, but aside from the issue with the Wi-fi, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: April 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Hersheyswt
Reviewed 9 April 2016

I had a child graduate from UC Berkeley, and we were there again recently for another look with my youngest. I have stayed at several Berkeley properties, from the value chains on University to the pricey older hotels near campus. I stumbled on Bancroft Inn this time. I believe it is a bit harder to discover because it doesn't typically participate in the online booking services. I wanted to be close to campus and not have to pay a princely sum...of course, everyone wants this, and it has been impossible to find in Berkeley until now. Of course, the room is tiny, but it is more comfortable than I thought it would be. The beds are a tad bit hard with the metallic springiness of mattresses from 50 years ago. Back then, we thought that was a good bed, and I found it was relatively comfortable, despite the lack of cushiness. There was no A/C and the weather was fair/warm, but there is a ceiling fan and the windows open (however it's loud on the street so you'd probably want to close them at night.) For a single traveler, or two travelers sharing a queen bed, this is really quite fine for a one or two night stay, or if minimal time is going to be spent in the room. Note there is no elevator, but I found staying on the second floor manageable. If you are very fit, even the third floor would be no problem. They had a nice little business center with printer and computer on the second floor. There was a lovely breakfast room, and the food selection was limited, but much higher quality than the typical hotel breakfast--home-made cooked oatmeal, fresh yogurt and granola, bakery pastries, and natural tasting orange juice. The soaps/shampoos in the bathrooms were of fine quality, the kind you actually want to use. And I didn't mind the tiny bathroom...I've never lived in a modern home so I'm used to that. This hotel brought me back in time a bit. Since it was clean with a pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff, we had a nice stay. Also, don't forget to request and use your Strada coupon (cafe next door) for $ off your coffee. They have some of the best coffee in Berkeley.

Room Tip: I was near the end of the hall and noise level was reasonable for Berkeley.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 March 2016

This hotel is in serious need of a makeover. The rooms are old, dated, and worn. The bathroom is tiny and old. Avoid Room 201 unless you enjoy being awakened at 5 am by the person setting up breakfast in the nearby room without any consideration of the noise he/she is making. However, you will have to haul your luggage unassisted up many stairs to any floor so the higher floors will be difficult for those with heavy luggage. The food at the complimentary breakfast was extremely unappealing as well.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the second floor.
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with family