“This takes one back to an earllier, exciting place in time.”
Review of Kern County Museum

Kern County Museum
Ranked #2 of 28 things to do in Bakersfield
Reviewed 2 October 2018

The museum has been expanded and made far more comprehensive than when I visited it as a 3rd grader many decades ago. I loved every minute of the visit, even though the weather outdoors was in the high 90s.

All reviews
"enjoyed our visit"
"bakersfield sound"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed 24 September 2018

I have lived in Bakersfield all my life and this is my favorite place to go. I have probably been here at least 50 times and never get tired of it. I brought my kids and now my grandchildren too. It's great so don't miss out.

Reviewed 23 September 2018 via mobile

My parents, grandparents and I went here while I was visiting them (and to get the grandparents out of the nursing home). Despite having lived in the area (not me, them) for three decades none of us had ever been here before.
To be honest, I was deeply impressed by the quality of the exhibits and the size and scope of the museum. Even as a "native" I learned a lot, and being there with people in their 90s was interesting as they enjoyed seeing thing from their childhood.
I am also appreciative of the front desk letting us know we had arrived on "Smithsonian Museum Day" and we could get free tickets online. Not that the tickets were very expensive for the size of the museum, but it is always great to save money.
I highly recommend this museum and would like to go back again and show my kids.

Reviewed 18 September 2018

When wanting to know the history of Kern County this is the best place to go. My mother and I stopped in on a Sunday. Yes, they are open on the weekends.
We are both writing books and needto have photos of certain time periods of Kern County. The photos we acquired from our four hour tour are priceless.
From five years old to eighty years old there is so much you can learn from this museum
The staff was nice.
Make sure you prepare yourself to walk aways, and up and down the stairs.
the grounds were clear to walk without hazards.
My mother's favorite place is the Merle Haggard house.