“Great, calm, place”

Add it.
Red Grill Onions Mexican Cafe and Bar
Ranked #237 of 960 Restaurants in Bakersfield
Reviewed 12 October 2016

The place is small, subdued, perhaps. But, the staff is very cap able, the drinks consistent and quick, and the food rivals or surpasses any Mexican cuisine in town. There are a few novel dishes you won't see elsewhere. The quacamole is very good, fajitas plentiful and well seasoned. The margaritas go down very well. And the bar is pretty well stocked with drinks ither than beer and tequila. Sadly, it is closed on Monday, I believe. Very repeatable.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

To me, this place is looking for an identity. I walked into the dinning room. The Kardashians TV show was on the TV. The lights were off. A waitress hustled me into the backroom bar. One TV had the NFL Network and the other ESPN.OK, sports bar. Music playing was country. Food was supposed to be Mexican, I guess. Chips were fine. Absolutely no heat in the salsa.Fresh, yes, chili, no. I ordered nachos with asada. The meat was flavorless, again, no spice in the pico. The music was odd the entire time I was there. A guy at the bar, maybe owner? was playing his ipad over the bar speakers. Country, to Spanish, to big band, to 50's and everything in between. But each song lasted about 20 seconds.Dude, pick one and leave it alone. Service was friendly and attentive.

1  Thank carrot_fixer
Reviewed 30 July 2016

I loved their salsa and chips!!! I ordered an enchilada, taco, rice and beans. My husband ordered the carne asada which came with an enchilada, rice and beans. My husband was disappointed in his carne asada because he said it lacked flavor and was not very tender. I really loved the enchilada, I thought the sauce was very good. The rice and beans had great flavor as well. My one complaint though would be that the taco and enchilada seemed very small compared to other places we've visited. They also seemed to be priced a bit higher then our usual place which would be fine if the items were of equal size. They have two areas for seating which gives them lots of room. We chose to sit in the back room area which only had one other couple. The problem with this area though is that the table we were seated at was right under the ac vents which blew right down on our food and cooled it off. Granted it was very hot outside but you really shouldn't place the tables right under the vents. Service was a little bit slow as our waitress was new and said it was her first time doing this. Not sure my husband would go back but I would go back for the salsa, and the enchilada, those were that good.

Reviewed 29 July 2016 via mobile

If this place has been open long, then we regret taking too long to go. Everything was excellent. We were seated at a window table in the bar and found it and the decor around us to be very pleasant. Our service was immediate, friendly and attentive. The chips and salsa were fresh and very good. Our beers were served with chilled glasses, which we don't see as much anymore. My wife had the chicken and avocado tostada and it was excellent—the chicken was tender, moist and superbly seasoned. I had the Los Angeles combo, which included the best chile relleno I've had in a long time—because it wasn't breaded. This preparation allowed the chile to be truly tasted as the primary ingredient in the dish. The cheese in it was excellent. The accompanying enchilada and taco were also very good. I liked that the tortilla in the enchilada had not been over-cooked, either in or under too much sauce. It had a perfect chewiness.

There are two entrances, one into the large dining room and one into the bar and smaller dining area. If the dining room entrance is unattended, just go around the corner to the bar entrance.

Reviewed 11 June 2016 via mobile

It took me a while to get past the unusual name, but I'm glad I did. They have great cantina style chips with fresh made salsa. They have great lunch specials. Carne asada nachos are an excellent choice from the appetizer menu. The chile verde is the best I've ever had. The chicken fajita is very flavorful and moist. They serve a great portion size and the staff are very attentive and like to have a good time. I can't recommend this spot enough.