Lowest prices for your stay
Priceline
Destinia.com
FindHotel
Trip.com
StayForLong
All reviews tuk tuk sri lanka stunning outdoor bathroom indian ocean beautiful hotel curries private beach an amazing place his team sea galle villa chef beaches mirissa honeymoon paradise
Selected filters
Reviewed 18 September 2021

The management in Colombo is really horrible. They will overcharge you. They gave us a price and they charged us more than that when we arrived. They also changed their Covid policy the day before we arrived and they forced us to take a rapid antigen test and they tried to force us to pay for it. Further, when we were on the way to the resort from Colombo, they called and asked for my driver contact information. I thought that was weird, but I gave it to them. They then called my private driver, who I was paying separate to drive us there to drop us off on the side of the road at the Galle exit and they would pick us up and take us to a different hotel to be tested for Covid. This happened while we were on the way and they never informed me about any of this. My driver told me what they said. I was furious. I am riding from Colombo to Galle in a foreign country with my family. They was us to get out on the side of the road on the highway to be taken to a hotel in Galle to be tested with an inaccurate antigen test. Then they tried to charge me for the antigen tests and the transportation between Galle and Thalpe. It was absolutely insane.

Beyond this. Once they charged my card upon arrival they charged more than quoted because they are greedy.

There are stray dogs running all around the property who will come under your table while you are eating.

The AC and Wifi didn't work for half of our trip and maintenance could be greatly improved.

Overall incredibly beautiful property which is horribly managed and run.

Date of stay: September 2021
1  Thank 743joew
Reviewed 28 May 2021

First of all, this low rating doesn't reflect the service of the friendly staff residing at the Villa.

This villa is managed by the most unreasonable and ill-mannered team I’ve seen in any country I’ve travelled to. This villa is managed centrally from Colombo.
Hence it should apply to any villa managed by Edwards Collection.

I’ve booked this villa for my honeymoon of 3 nights.

When I did the booking they wanted me to make a payment of 50% of full amount to confirm the booking, which I complied.

I checked in late around 3.30pm on last Friday and the management had requested the staff to collect the balance payment on my arrival (for whole stay of 3 days).

We were the only guests at the villa for the whole 3 days stay. The management informed me that they’ve given us a better room since we are the only guests residing. The only upgrade was that the room was facing the beach. We saw few rooms which are facing the entrance/lobby areas of the hotel. We were already paying a lot for this room and there is no way I would’ve agreed to stay three days if I got such room.

The location of the hotel is good. The ocean is too rough but beautiful to look at. However, you won’t be able to see the sea or the beach from the inside of the room.

The WiFi is not available most of the time. It is very poor even when it is available. I didn’t get any cellular connectivity at the room either. Since there is no phone in the room it was really difficult to connect the hotel staff as well. Imagine wanting to call a waiter during the night when you don’t get WiFI or cellular coverage and there is no phone in the room.

The menu is very limited but tastes fine. Several options were not available when they were requested. However, it was perfectly understandable due to the prevailing COVID situation in the country.

The rooms are dated and if you are expecting a luxury setup based on the amount you are paying you might be disappointed.

Safe is too old and unreliable.

There were mosquitoes inside the room and I was able to get a vaporiser from the staff.

As I mentioned earlier, the main reason for this honest but disappointed review is the senior management of the hotel group. (Edwards Collection).

On the fourth day of my stay I was supposed to checkout after lunch. Around 12pm I called the room service to ask about the lunch and also to know the checkout time. They informed me that I need to contact the reservations office in Colombo to ask about staying until the lunch.
I had to call two executives (including Dinosha) in Edwards Collection and I was surprised to hear their response.

I was asked to immediately (by 12.00pm) vacate the room and return the key to the staff.
Until the lunch is served, I was asked to wait at the lobby area by the management.
Keep in this mind that the hotel was completely empty since the day I checked in. And NO ONE was checking in.
Also I was on my honeymoon and had already spent three nights at the villa.
The lunch was not ready and if I need to stay for additional 2 hours from 12pm, I was asked to pay LKR 13500.00. Just until we finish lunch.

Their behaviour was unbelievably rude and not something I ever experienced in Sri Lanka or any other tourist destination. The management is really greedy and doesn’t have a clue about the customer service. You can understand that they don’t want to improve by looking at the defensive responses in this feedback section.

However I need to mention that the staff at the villa is very helpful and try to accommodate the guests as much as they can even with the lack of support of the senior management. Sanjeewa was really supportive throughout our stay and even called the reservation team behalf of us when he was asked to kick us out even when the lunch is still being prepared. But he failed. There is not much you can do when the senior management of the group is driven by greed.

So try to avoid any hotel which is managed by Edwards Collection. You will find many beautiful options nearby with much better hospitality.

Date of stay: May 2021
1  Thank thilina2v
Edwards Collection, Owner at The Frangipani Tree by Edwards Collection, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2021

Dear Sir,

Thank you for choosing Edwards Collection. We also thank you for your kind comments about our staff and the beauty of the Beach at The Frangipani Tree which is unsurpassed.

We are delighted to read your positive feedback on the location and the service offered by the staff on-site and we appreciate you taking the time to share this review as a part.

We are saddened to note that you had not enjoyed your stay. As a policy we value criticism more than praise as such criticism offers opportunities to evolve and develop which resulted in our winning the world’s best Boutique chain award as well as a membership in Conde Naste Johansson in addition to other global awards.

We have recently worked on special flexible lower rates to be offered to the locals considering the pandemic. You booked the cheapest room in the hotel which does not offer an ocean view, but a garden view. We did warn you of this but you seemed to be more concerned about the price rather than the view but nevertheless we upgraded you to a suite at a considerable cost to the Hotel even though that too does not offer an ocean view. Yet we are always looking for ways we can improve, and we will take your feedback into our consideration.

The management will discuss the service gaps mentioned by you. We are also sorry to note that you failed to check out at the check out time. The team is advised to not offer late checkouts due to staff working on short hours and also considering the staff health during the current situation. Our Reservations Manager had to ask you to use the lounge as we had a full house booking which guests were on their way and we had to prepare 9 suits with less staff members. Our intention is to offer an astonishing service to all our guests despite the prevailing situation.

We will definitely take your feedback into our account, and we really hope to have the opportunity to make a better impression on a future stay.

All the best & kind regards,
Edwards Collection Management

Reviewed 28 April 2021

A beautiful hotel surrounded by wonderful staff in a great location ! The food was delicious !
It’s just amazing: the view is stunning, the service is impeccable, rooms are beautifully decorated, clean and comfortable. You feel like you have the whole place for yourself.

Reviewed 22 April 2021

I stayed at Frangipani Tree at Thalpe few weeks ago, and we found our stay pleasant. The hotel is situated right on the beach with a panoramic view of the Indian ocean. Tastefully designed eco friendly rooms with roof open bath rooms were romantic. However, since I stayed with my two daughters at the hotel, this set up was not practical for the kids. Food was great, hotel staff was friendly and very cordial. Attended to all our needs, including my daughter who fell slightly ill after a over night stay. They served superb cocktails and best wishes for the person behind such taste.

Reviewed 20 April 2021

I traveled there in early April 2021 just after my sons school vacation started. We really wanted a not crowded peaceful place to unwind ourselves after a long time. I think we got what we wanted. The place was very peaceful. Just after we got in there we were treated really well by the staff headed by Mr. Buddika. They helped us in every way to make our stay an enjoyable one. I think that is the true plus point at Frangipani Tree. Thank you very much for that.

The place has around 8 to 9 rooms with a nice pool in the middle. Some rooms are facing the sea with a nice small garden in the front. Though we booked a standard room we were lucky enough to get an upgrade to one of there best rooms facing the sea. The rooms was fantastic and very spacious. The bathroom was clean and spacious too. As said, the room was facing the sea and we always had our meals at a special place adjoin to the beach. It was fantastic and quite refreshing.

The pool is not so big but very clean and well maintained. Has both shallow and a deep end and child friendly. We had most of our stay at the pool since there were not many guests during the time we visited. We were lucky in that sense to have the pool mostly for us during our stay.

The food was fantastic and Chef helped us to get our meals the way we wanted all the time. You need to try their Sea Food Platter that they offer during the dinner. It was quite fantastic. All and all the food was great.

However, the only downside was the beach. It was quite rough during the days we traveled. So could not do much over there. However there are quite a few nice beaches around including Unawatuna if you are truly a beach person.

But the best part of this hotel is its tranquility and calmness. If you are looking for such a getaway this is an ideal place for you.

My special thanks goes to Mr. Buddika for going out of the way to help our stay a memorable one. I want to thank each and every staff member but unfortunately I could not gather their names.

Thank you Frangipani Tree. We will definitely come again.

Room tip: Ask for a room facing the sea