All reviewstapas eveningfamily homehomemade jamstasting menulemon juicepremium roommain buildingjunior suitemature treesmountainous backdropexcellent local restaurantsdressing roomorder eggswonderful settingshady areaspaellaprivate home
Reviewed 10 September 2017

We had a very relaxing stay at Son Grec and enjoyed the tranquility of the property being adults only, it's pretty outdoor areas, the very comfortable room and bathroom, friendliness of the waiting staff and its proximity to both Soller and Port Soller and their variety of good places to eat.
We are seasoned travellers and enjoy understated boutique style properties with character, hence why we chose Son Grec. The hotel was incredibly helpful and efficient in answering email enquiries as to which room may be best for us to book and booked a number of restaurants for us in advance of our visit ( highly recommended if travelling in the peak season.) A special thank you here to Polina, who was very kind and patient and even took the trouble of sending me some photographs she especially took for me.
Pluses:
Quality of the room fittings and very comfortable bed. Room six, a premier suite at the top of the main house and with good views is recommended, plus it is the only room with a bath as well as a shower, if you are inclined to like baths!
As lovers of the Far East we loved the Balinese artefacts and Asian touches.
Delightful waiting staff, especially the wonderful Ewa- always so very kind and helpful, with a charming manner and she took a genuine interest in us, noticing for example I had hurt my leg and asking us where we had been etc.
The lovely pool and grounds, if the latter were smaller than we thought, other than the lemon and orange groves.
Good breakfasts, with a real effort made to ring the changes a little each day.
It was very evident that he owners were rightfully proud of their property and that they took a real pride in it.
Helpful advice re. local walks and places to eat.
Very good, if quite expensive, gin and tonics by the pool.
Aspects to consider/ slight minuses:
We booked a premier suite without terrace as we were not sure of the aspect or location of the ones with terrace. We were pleased with our choice on arrival as the terrace room we were offered in advance, room twelve, did not have a private terrace, and some of the other terrace rooms we saw were not private either. There did seem to be two rooms with more private terraces, behind the pool bar, but it would be helpful to have photographs of different rooms on the website as some other hotels do, for example the Salvia.
On two evenings running we had to ask for either our shampoo or conditioner to be replaced and for the bath to be cleaned better. Not a major issue, but better checks are needed after a room has been serviced. In general the standard of cleanliness was very good.
There was a lack of atmosphere in the evenings especially when having a meal outside. More candles, music etc could be provided, cushions for the chairs, tableclothes etc to give it more of a sense of occasion and to differentiate from having breakfast in the same place.
Tissues would have been welcomed in the room, as ideally would at least one bottle of water a day, given the price paid.
By pure coincidence, my sister and brother in law were staying in Soller. Although they were welcomed and given a tour of the public parts of the property, we were told in advance they could not have a drink with us by the bar at the pool to protect guest privacy and that they would not be able to have the Monday tapas evening with us, both of which were a real pity. Yes, outside guests are welcome to have the weekend tasting menus, but not the tapas on Mondays and paella on Wednesdays which are for hotel guests only. We fully appreciated the need to respect guest privacy, but the four of us would hardly have been very loud and my husband and I were paying guests of the hotel itself. We have never before been unable to invite friends, let alone relatives, back to hotels for meals or a drink, indeed, this has been welcomed , at Aman, Belmond, as well as at larger Four Seaand Peninsula properties, for example.
The property was lovely and we really enjoyed our stay, but would we return to Son Grec? Probably not, but also because there are so many other lovely properties to stay at. There was a slightly pretentious feel to some aspects of it, which we did not detect at La Residencia for example, and a slight lack of genuine interest and thoughtfulness by the managaement, we felt, rightly or wrongly. For example, on arrival, we were given a hugely informative and comprehensive tour of the property by Jose, son in law of the owner and he was extremely polite and answered our enquiries very well. However, there was little interest taken in ourselves as such, where we had been , how we were, what our plans were, etc. The focus was largely on showing off the property, rather than in us. The holiday was also to celebrate a very special milestone birthday the month before, the holiday having to be delayed due to our daughter's wedding. At our first hotel in Mallorca, Son Palou, I was even given a bottle of Moët, but there was no recognition, let alone a gesture made towards the special occasion at Son Grec, despite the fact they had been informed. A glass of cava, or even a verbal Happy Birthday would have made a big difference.
We have previously stayed at the Salvia and went back there for a highly recommended dinner. The genuinely warm welcome we received by the owners on our arrival and their relaxed, understated charm, very much mirrored throughout the whole property, made a real impression and we would most certainly love to stay there again,
Son Grec receives deservedly very good reviews, and certain staff were quite wonderful. We can quite see why so many people like it, and Ewa was a total star, but for us it just compared slightly unfavourably with other places we have stayed at.

Room Tip: Rooms quite different. Room 6, premier suite was large with good views. Not all of the terraces of terrace rooms are private.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
6  Thank sallywil2017
DortiGarcia, Director General at Son Grec Petit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2017

Dear sallywil2017,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your very personal experience during your stay at SON GREC.

It’s an honor for us that, after staying at the many important number of hotels as the ones you mention, SON GREC has finally become the first and only one chosen by you to write about.

Regarding your case, a very significant one for all the SON GREC family, we would prefer to reply step by step, in order to clarify how the situation really was from the property’s and the staff’s perspective.

Before your arrival:

1.- Our Guest Service team will never forget you. You exchanged a total of 48 different e-mails with them during 5 months before you hadn’t even arrived to Mallorca. Every single one longer and more demanding than the previous. You even pushed my team to take some pictures of the hotel to be sent privately to you, something which is absolutely forbidden. I don’t know how many hotels would allow you to do that and reply one by one of your messages with such professionalism for almost half a year, but trust me when I say that not that many. And not that many either will do so with the pleasure of taking care of you in advance the way we did.

2.- You were actually reaching us the whole time from your professional e-mail address at the British University where you work at (instead of from your personal e-mail for a personal vacation), explaining us with all kind of details about your background and your knowledge on different topics, mainly about Fine Arts. We could have taken or understood that as a “pretentious” behaviour (a word you used to describe us), even intimidating, to try impress us. However, instead, through the philosophy that my partner and I we have developed for SON GREC, our team and us took it all as an opportunity to prepare and arrange everything for you before your arrival with the maximum level of kindness, personalization and excitement. Dorti and myself have gotten surrounded by an amazing group of human beings that we’ve personally chosen to be part of our staff. We have selected them one by one for sharing with us the extreme dedication to every person that approaches and chooses SON GREC to become their home away from home. That’s why Polina, Solveig, Steffi, Pep or Eva do their job so good; that’s why we are extremely happy to have them with us; and that’s why we all feel extremely dissapointed with your reserved attitude during your stay and with many of the comments you’ve made about us here.

3.- Regarding your “important” birthday celebration (postponed for more than a month, something weird whatever the reason is), we have all the e-mails you exchanged with Polina registered. We’ve double checked them all just in case we could have made any mistake. But the truth is that since the beginning, Polina always took personal care of you, reporting to my partner and myself about every single step, always moving in the right direction. She actually sent you a wide variety of possibilites for us to arrange for you to celebrate that special and postponed birthday: Special and private dinner at our restaurant, wellness treatments, wine or Cava upon arrival, experiences by boat, among many other things… We have a protocol for this cases. Protocol that we couldn’t apply in your case because you just wanted to double check and control it all personally and then to comment it with your husband. You did actually ask us to send all those plans to your husband’s e-mail address, something that we did so he could reply with a choice. Unfortunately, we never received any reply from him, becasuse we understand that he could be busy.

4.- You mention that in the previous hotel where you stayed in Mallorca before coming to ours (they would probably be delighted to have a review about them, as long as this one) you had a bottle of Champagne as a present. May be that was what you wanted: A free present for a birthday from one month before. However, that hotel you mention, wasn’t even able to make some reservations of restaurants for you, as you confessed us and reached us for help. Help that we provided you. We booked you restaurants for dates previous to your arrival at SON GREC while you were staying into another hotel in the island enjoying a free bottle of Champagne. It’s clear, then, reviewing your comments, that you value much more a free bottle of Champagne than the assistance we provided you for 5 months and then, even while staying in a different hotel. You probably value more the material things than a right service. That’s why SON GREC is probably not the right fit for you, Madam.

Upon your arrival:

1.- After almost 50 long e-mails with questions and requests, we were all looking forward to welcoming you and meet you finally in person. You had become a star for us. With those precedents, we obviously expected an eloquent and extremely outgoing person, with lots of things to talk about and share experiences with. However, ironies of life, we found you to be one of the most shy persons that have ever stayed with us. You even looked afraid when we approached to talk to you. We all agree to have never seen you exchanging more than 3 consecutive sentences with anyone of the team (not even with Polina, a person you shared half of your life by e-mail with). We didn’t even see you smile. So sad... We were actually worried about you, but didn’t want to disturb. It was kind of shocking for us. It’s clear that your personality changes completely when in front of a computer with a keyboard at your disposal. And we do perfectly respect that. But it is still quite suprising and shocking how a person may change from wrting to real life. And that’s absolutely your case.

2.- I understood that for such a demanding person as you seemed to be by e-mail, I could show you the hotel and tour you around personally. As an experienced Jouranlist, PR & Deputy Manager at SON GREC, I thought that I could be helpful to clarify the many questions and comments we were expecting you to have during the tour. I managed to find a moment for you on purpose, with pleasure, actually, while being extremely busy with other insights regarding the management of the hotel during the peak season in Mallorca, as you may imagine. I did it with all my best intention, explaining even deeper and longer than usual about our family, about our private Art collection, about the History of more than 300 years of the house, about why this is a UNESCO World Heritage Site Area, about how my partner’s father recovered the house and renewed it all, about our gastronomical experiences, about our gardens, about our more than 12.000 sq metres areas with 20 different kinds of fruit trees... You looked afraid and very intimidated the whole time. You didn’t even prounounced a word during the tour… Then, showing you the room, I explained you about the Art pieces you had around, about the original Majorcan bed from the XIX Century renewed that you were about to sleep at, about your views of the town and L’Horta neighbourhood surrounded by Nature, about the use of everything (air conditioning system, minibar, telephone for reception…) All in all, information that I thought could be useful and helpful for you. After that, you say that I just wanted to… “show off”. I feel so disspointed and extremely ofended by you. You say that I didn’t ask you about where had you been or how you were (something that I did, by the way, but you don’t speak when in person so it’s difficult to establish a conversation with you). As you may imagine, after 48 e-mails, that I monitor personally with the staff I manage along with my partner, I was perfectly aware of who you were and where you had been. It’s so sad when people reacts like you. Really sad. I really regret now to have taken that time for you while I had the hotel fully booked with other grateful guests. Something you’ve shown not to be at all.

During your stay:

1.- You arrived on a Wednesday, day when we organize our Paella show cooking outodoors during the high season, and you decided to join us. As you saw, I personally host the experience for our guests and I also assist to the sous-chef with the step by step explanation. As you can imagine, as usual, I had a mosaic of different faces and gestures from the guests in front of me. All the faces where happy, the guests made questions, jokes, etc. Your face, however, was still serious and kind of afraid… I was even worried about you. I expected you to get better after, more outgoing later on, but it never happened. Hopefully, your husband, was more communicative. Saying “thank you” in every single detail. Something that I’m still waiting to receive from you. Actually, after dessert, you left the table and your husband, and he stayed alone for around 40 minutes in the restaurant. I had the chance, then, to speak with him for a while. He did actually thank us for a beautiful experience and for a wonderful night. He told me that you two were usual guests of Aman hotels all over the world and claimed that we had “created a beautiful atmosphere similar to those hotels”. I personally thanked him overwhelmed for that and I expalined how honored we felt as a family run small business to be compared to one of the best hotel chains in the world. Let me tell you, Madam, that your husband is an incredibly nice person, and you’re very lucky to have him. It was a beautiful conversation the one we had. Something I’d love to have had with you, but it’s extremely difficult to approach to you in person. Such a pity.

2.- You talk about a lack of atmosphere in the Restaurant at night (something where your husband seems to have a different opinion about) when you only stayed with us on one of our gastronomic nights, for the Paella. The rest of the nights you already had plans out of SON GREC. Plans and reservations that we had arranged and changed for you countless times months in advance. So, in that sense, it’s quite risky to describe what you haven’t really seen and experienced personally. You were always coming back to the hotel after dinner, when everything was almost finished. You didn’t even see our collection of plates for the Chef’s Tasting Menu or the Tapas Experience elements envolved. You could only see a small part of the previous preparation before leaving the hotel, and then everything after, when you returned. We do have many more candles than the ones you saw during dinner, different kinds of music all over the garden an the restaurant changing according to the dinner experience. Even live music so many nights along the season. So, if you provide an opinion, you should better try and see from inside what are you are writing about, not from outside. It’s a dangerous practise we recommend you not to repeat with other colleagues from the hospitality sector whenever you decide to write your second and other (possible?) upcoming reviews. That’s what I call “pretentious”.

3.- Regarding the shampoo and gel pots, our cleaning staff didn’t replace them to you the first two nights, and we quickly reacted, apologized from Reception and replaced them to you. For environmental reasons to protect this UNESCO World Heritage Site Area, we take very seriously the use of this handcrafted amenities. After your demand, we obviously realized that you wanted a new full pot of each everday and we left them in your room everyday from then on. And we had to throw away semi full pots of gel and shampoo. You never complaint again. It’s OK, but if you mention it trying to harm to our service, we have to clarify what really happened, that is actually harmfull for our mother Nature. Exactly the same with the cleaningness. If there’s something we are maniacs about and all our guests always highlight of SON GREC, is the cleaningness of every single aspect, either in the common areas or in the rooms. Just double check other comments and marks about this. What you describe may happened one day, you could have told us (once again, you didn’t communicate in peron), and we would have apologized (we all are humans) and corrected it. But what I can’t accept is a comment like that, eventhough then you recognize that everything was clean, you try to be tendentious, and for a first (and long) review ever on Tripadvisor, it all smells kind of suspicious...

4.- You talk also about the possibilty of inviting your sister and brother in law to experiences reserved only for guests staying at SON GREC. As you know and you seemed to value, SON GREC wants to make prevail the privacy and intimacy of our guests. When you are by the pool using a swimsuit, we don’t find appropiate to receive external people to have a drink around. And during the nights we reserve for guests, we obviously know that your relatives would have perfectly behaved, but imagine if every single guest would like to invite people as well. Suddlenly, everyone would start to invite externals. So many hotels, big chains that you mention and compare us with (an honor for us, but a different league) do let that. But we are speaking about completely different measures and concepts. We are a family run business in what’s been our family house for more than 30 years. And we want to keep it small to maintain the charm the way we understand it has to be. It’s not about restrictions or policies. It’s about a way of life. It’s always challenging and difficult, but, in order to get that, there are some lines we can’t cross, and inviting externals is one of those. You may understand it or not, but it’s our philosphy to preserve our legacy.

In any case, we do also see that, hopefully, you appreciated many parts of your stay and that’s quite rewarding for us. We do also take many of the advices you provide and we are already preparing many novelties for upcoming seasons that include some of the things you mention.

José-María Álvarez
PR, Communications & Deputy Manager
SON GREC Petit Resort

Reviewed 8 September 2017

Spent 5 nights here after staying in Puerto Pollenca. Stunning property with top notch service - the staff is friendly (Eva!) and accommodating without being overbearing.. Our room was spacious, spotless and super comfortable. Plenty of loungers at the pool area for all of the guests and the area was perfect for lounging around, swimming and relaxing.

Breakfast was wonderful and guests even have the option of requesting cooked to order eggs or omelets, bacon, etc. Almost too much food by American standards. We also enjoyed 2 nice lunches (and cocktails) by the pool during our stay. We walked to town every night for drinks and dinner - Bar Molini and Ca'n Pintxo were our favorites for food! The hiking in the area is great and we ventured out every day - a nice moderate walk is from Soller to Fornalutx - about 45 minutes each way from SoGrec.

Overall a fantastic stay - my only recommendation would be to have some "livelier" music by the pool later in the day or offer some type of happy hour around 5pm.. It's very very quite by the pool and we often found ourselves whispering so we wouldn't disturb any of the guests.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank suzyjacuzzi
DortiGarcia, Director General at Son Grec Petit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear suzyjacuzzi,

Thank you very much for your review and for taking the time to share your experience during your stay at SON GREC.

We are glad to read how much you enjoyed and valued our breakfast concept, our food, the confort at your room, our lounges indoors and outdoors, our pool deck, our gardens, our fruit...

Our philosophy is based on our rule number one: Calm & Peace. Mallorca is the Island of Calm, SON GREC is located in the heart of the Serra de Tramuntana Mountain Range (UNESCO World Heritage Site Area). So we just communicate with our environment and our History to share with guests from all over the World the message that our legacy and heritage launches to us. That's why into this XVIII House (fully renewed) the music will never be louder, the silence will remain, will be preserved and protected and terms as "happy hour" will be always (hopefully) far away from our DNA.

It was a plesure to host you and we hope to have back as soon as you can.

Best regards,

Reviewed 4 September 2017

The hotel staff ensured our visit was idyllic. If you seek a quiet, luxury family run hotel then this is it. The attention to detail was reflected in the accommodation, décor, food and attentive, friendly staff. Nothing was too much trouble and all advice (where to go, where to eat etc.) was accurate and generously given. We will return one day to disconnect again.

Room Tip: You can choose a room in the house (room 6 was spacious and had spectacular views) or the garden
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank mountaindad2017
DortiGarcia, Director General at Son Grec Petit Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2017

Dear mountaindad2017,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your experience at SON GREC.

You directly catched the right idea of what we are through the claim we always repeat: "SON GREC is a place to disconnect to reconnect". And that's the greatest sign we can receive to keep working every single second to maintain that philosophy. It's an everyday process, where our food, Art, furniture, rooms, facilities, confort, cleaningness, etc, count, of course. But what counts the most for us is the human touch we try to provide.

Whenever you decide that the day to come back and disconnect again has arrived, we'll be prepared to welcome you back and share with you the novelties we are already preparing for the upcoming seasons at SON GREC.

All the best,

Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

From the second you arrive, you are made to feel so welcome. Our junior suite was beautiful and the staff are all so courteous and helpful. This friendly hotel is beautiful. The whole place is designed to an extremely high standard and the customer care is first class. It certainly ticks all the right boxes and are planning our return visit.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Amelia B

Dear Amelia B,

Thank you very much for your kind review about your stay in SON GREC.

We work hard to preserve the legacy of our tradition. And in our case, we do so by opening our minds and sharing with guests like you our perception of life; attached to those simple details that make us feel closer to what we are, in order to make sure at the same time that everyone feels important. As human beings with curiosity who require a high level of attention, understanding and who have needs to be fulfilled.

We would be nothing without you, our guests, and we want to make you feel that importance since the first moment, as an essencial part of what SON GREC is and will be, as a new members of our family, indeed. A challenging chore with a continuous learning process.

We would love to have you back soon to keep sharing the many secrets always hidden around Sóller and the human soul that remains in this house called SON GREC.

Thank you very much again.

All the best,

Reviewed 24 August 2017

It is hard to find fault with this beautiful small hotel. It has a charming and superbly maintained garden and pool. The decor, art and furnishings inside the hotel are wonderful. And the staff are surely the cream of Soller.
We felt welcome and relaxed from the moment we arrived and loved the tranquility we enjoyed for a week in the exquisite surroundings. Mallorca (we discovered) is heaving in August so we stayed 'a Casa' much of the time, swimming, reading, unwinding, being spoilt.
The food must be noted too. The breakfasts are fabulous, and although there is much I don't eat, there was still plenty that I could. And every day the fruit, homemade jams and pastries varied. We stayed in for two delicious dinners. The Taster Menu was superb. And the Tapas and wine evening great fun - with plenty of wine tasting!
We feel we have found a gem.
My only niggle - I'd like tissues in the bathroom. And that really is the only thing I can think to suggest. Otherwise bravo for this fabulous new hotel run with such care and passion.

Room Tip: Room 2 is on 1st floor and has lovely view over pool and garden.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TiggyWalker

Dear TiggyWalker,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience about your stay in SON GREC.

We feel overwhelmed by your review. Speechless, actually.

It's beautiful to see that our hard work is valued and perceived with the care you showed to us and to our staff as our guests. We do really appreciate the value of the small details that can make big differences. And those details are just made by human touch. There's no other type of philosophy for us. We just want to maintain that human essence of our house, where the new generation of the family leading now this project was born and raised, where we have learned many things about life and where we share that with our new family: The members of our staff and, of course, you, our guests.

Tradition, local identity, international mentality... Relax, puere air, plants, tress, Nature, Sun, silence, privacy, service, Contemporary Art, fresh food, Spanish handcrafted wines... Details that you enjoyed and valued one by one, and where we were delighted to see you do so.

The doors of SON GREC, our 'HOGAR', your HOME in Mallorca, will always remain opened for you. We are all looking forward to welcoming you soon so we can keep sharing many more experiences with your husband and yourself. It was a great pleasure to host you.

Best regards from Sóller,