“Monart, Monks and Me”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
Kildare, Ireland
“Monart, Monks and Me”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Having spent fifteen years holidaying with children, this was our first two night break without them. The Monart is hidden away in the Wexford countryside. A series of little brown road signs helped us find it, a discreet set of gates opened and invited us in.
There is nothing pretentious about The Monart. It is beautifully designed from the moment you walk in to the old building, the marriage of old and new architecture is striking and immediately, we were surrounded by beautiful detail. The gardens are breathtaking and Japanese in their inspiration. Bamboo and waterfalls, a small lake, ducks and willow make the perfect backdrop and can be seen from almost every window.
Our bedroom was huge and totally luxurious. Easily the best we have ever experienced in Ireland. We were on the second floor and looked onto the garden. The room has it all. Gorgeous linen, a bathroom that could fit a football team in and a fabulous bath with decadent bath products to chose from. The only bad thing was the TV which had terrible sound, but we were not at the Monart to watch TV all day so we didn't complain. Upon reflection, perhaps that is why the sound is bad - to get you out of your room and into the spa!
If you go before the end of the year, the Shaolin monks will be there. I had the absolute pleasure of attending their meditation class each morning. We had never meditated before but now we are home, will try and bring some of that peace home. During the day there are four classes that you can attend with the monks, they have travelled from China to Wexford and as far as we were concerned, made our two day stay most magical. I took up Master Xu's offer of a massage and here I sit, five days later, still feeling the benefits of it. If you do ONE thing at the Monart, book a massage with him. I lay fully clothed with a cloth over my body and he worked from my head to my feet using pressure points. This was the unique experience that I will remember til the day I die. The monks speak little English so all communication is done through reception.
We spent two days in our bathrobes. Everyone does and it's a very levelling experience. The spa is second to none. Highlights include the outdoor sauna and salt room, the cold porridge at breakfast (with cream and raspberries), the omelette Arnold Bennett, the classes (we loved the outdoor sauna sessions and the aqua class), the guest bathrooms (WOW), the food, the art.
I could go on, but in a nutshell, if you are looking for a break that will leave you chilled, reconnected and at peace, go to the Monart.

Room Tip: Second floor up facing garden.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AnitaBreak41
Dear AnitaBreak41,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart recently, We are truly delighted that you enjoyed, not only the peace and tranquillity of our surroundings here, but also the experience of the Shaolin Residency currently on offer.

We look forward greatly to welcoming you to Monart again in the future.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Monart is an Adults Only Destination, to unwind, escape the stresses of modern life, relax and return to one’s true nature. Voted in the top three Destinations Worldwide by Condé Nast Reader’s Choice Awards. Tatler Destination Spa of the Year 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2013

My 5-day stay at The Monart Spa was absolutely wonderful. The architecture and layout of the facility located in the beautiful countryside of Ireland is just breathtaking. This is the best spa experience I've ever had. From the moment I arrived the staff was so accommodating and professional. I was so impressed with every aspect of the facility, including the many spa services they offer and the dining which is of the highest culinary standards. The exercise sessions were also wonderful. My room was very spacious, clean and beautiful. Each staff person I met was very passionate about his or her work. I felt so relaxed when I left the spa. I truly cannot wait to return. I would highly recommend The Monart Spa to anyone who is seeking an oustanding spa experience of the highest standards.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank TravelingisWonderful
Dear TravelingisWonderful,

Many thanks for your review of your time with us here at Monart recently.
We are delighted that you feel us to be 'One of the Best'

We very much look forward to welcoming you soon again.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The Monart is the most wonderful setting for recharging. On arrival your car is parked, your bags are taken to your room (with no awkward tip moment as the staff simply leave the bags there for your arrival to the room) and you are led to the reception area. The check-in is so thorough and really sets the tone for the rest of your stay. The relaxation ethos is explained, while you are served herbal tea, and you immediately feel at ease because of the wonderfully friendly and capable reception staff. I can't remember the ladies name but she then asked someone to take over from her at the desk so she could walk us to our room. The whole this was out of this world.

The effortlessly relaxing experience continued at lunch. The menu offers some main courses but I went for one of their sandwiches on focaccia which was beautiful. Equally my boyfriend went for a sandwich and he also enjoyed it. We got a side of big chunky chips which were class too and I recommend them.

Here are the negatives which were so surprising given the service received so far and the fact that the Monart is a destination spa. Our treatments... firstly we rang down to the spa twice to say we would be 5 minutes late and we got no answer (even though the receptionist we dealt with at the front of the hotel portrayed that it would almost be a crime to leave a desk unmanned). We then went on down to spa and there were two girls at that reception. They were chatting to each other but when we did get their attention they just said "yeah, go on in there". Em where? We walked around, there was a tunnel with 6 rooms off it and a gymnasium. We had no idea where to go. We walked down to a couch area as it was the most feasible place she could have sent us. There was no one in this area to meet us. So we sat down and in a few minutes someone came down to get me. Considering I was walked to my room i just think it would have been helpful, and more relaxing, to be shown where to wait and told the procedure i.e. someone will come down to get you.

The treatment itself... I have had many gifts of spa treatments over the years so I think that I know a few basics. I was getting a scrub treatment. There was no music in the room which left a sort of dead silence. There has been a CD of Enya or something similar in every other spa treatment I've ever been to. The girl was nice but talked way too much. You talk in a beauticians and a hairdressers but a spa I feel, and from my experience, is for silent relaxation. My head got soaked several times during the treatment which I don't think was meant to happen as my head was raised up from the water on a cushion. The towel that was put over me at the end was not heated which is definitely what happens normally. I was very disappointed with that treatment.

The next one I had was a dry floatation. Again the guidance of where to wait or when someone would be there to collect me was absent. I got this one as a gift so I didn't know what was involved. It was grand. Just a floaty air/water bed which gives you good sleep for half an hour. The girl who brought me up there was really nice but the treatment was not really worth it's price for me. Just a bit boring. It's was grand though.

I completed comment cards with my number and email regarding the spa treatments but I didn't hear anything since. They may not have got to them yet.

Back to the positives... The spa facilities and if you follow your own course using the guides providing was wonderful. My boyfriend and I did the full course and it was so relaxing. They have great loungers everywhere you go and a dark relaxation room for a little snooze.

Dinner was lovely. Very fancy, you really felt you were getting spoiled. Staff in the restaurant were amazing. Breakfast again was brilliant. The options were great, I had eggs Benedict and fruit and cheese and ham. I was stuffed to the gills. There was the most amazing older lady who served our table. What a gem. She put you at ease and chatted to you as if she knew you. She was class.

All in all, a wonderful place that I would recommend to anyone but unfortunately I would not recommend a treatment. Just do your own thing and you'll love it.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank OllieTheDolly
Dear OllieTheDolly,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your time with us here at Monart recently, I am delighted that in the main you enjoyed your stay with us.

I am however disappointed to read your comments in relation to our Spa, this is sadly not indicative of the vast majority of feedback we receive, however, while extremely rare, we take all of our valued clients' feedback seriously. Please be assured that your comments have our fullest attention.

We did receive your comment card, and I believe direct correspondence has taken place with our Spa Manager.

I do hope that we have opportunity of welcoming you to Monart again in the future.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Myself, my two sisters and my mam spent one night at Monart in September as a treat for my mams 50th birthday. From the moment we arrived it was truely amazing. We were greated at the reciption area by a lovely woman with iced tea for the four of us. The rooms are very spacious and nicely decorated. The spa itself really is 5 star, it was so relaxing and really refreshing. We each had a tension back massage which was lovely. The food in both the garden Bar and the restaurant was excellent. The breakfast was to die for with a wide rage of fruit and cereal to full irish and pancakes. Our overall experience was spectacular and I would highly recommend it to anyone and will return in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a lake view room if possible
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Niamh H,

Many thanks for your review of your time with us here at Monart, We are delighted to have been chosen as the destination at which to celebrate your Mum's 50th.

We can't think of a better compliment than to be referred as 'Pure Bliss'. Many thanks from all the team and we look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Waterford, Ireland
Reviewed 1 October 2013

we stayed there for two nights, and it was amazing from the very first minute.beautifully located, relaxing place. definetly worth the money. very friendly staff, one of the best spas i have ever been to, lovely restaurant, amazing food.would recommend it to anyone,

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Agata W,

Many thanks indeed for your review of your time with us here at monart recently.

We could not be more delighted that to hear of enjoyment of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Monart Destination Spa ‘The Great Escape’
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
3.3 km away
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
30.0 km away
Kelly's Resort Hotel & Spa

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!