“Really Magnificent stay”

Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Enniscorthy
Cork
“Really Magnificent stay”
Reviewed 16 February 2012

Spent a wonderful weekend in the Monart- utter relaxation; easy to completely forget about the outside world when staying here. Lovely walk around the grounds, beatiful old house with good modern facilities. The food was wonderful (breakfast & dinner) and the staff were very friendly & helpful. I'd really recommend it as a complete break. As has been mentioned before, no bar is a slight drawback.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 10 February 2012

Rooms: Room was dull in decor,balcony:only a railing seperating you from balcony next door so no privacy , one would feel uncomfortabe if there was a couple sitting out as you woudl be on top of them.Bed was good size and very comfortable,bathroom was well equipped.No mini bar ,no tea or coffe making facilities,five euro for a bucket of ice to be delivered.!!

Spa: Nothing special here,Staffed by quite young and not overly well trained staff.Left waiting for six minutes to get settled on treatment bed!! all I had to do was take a dressing gown off!! and treatment finished five minutes early ,a bit rich when charged €120.00 for hot stone massage lasting 55 minutes!! and then asked to sign invoice with gratuity optional!! Nothing special at all about spa in general,small pool,tiny jacuzzi,have had much better massages in less expensive places.Very poor value for money.

Food; Dinner was very disappointing though service was excellent and waiting staff very nice.Food and wine five star prices but not five star standard.Breakfast was excellent,very good selection probably the best part of our stay.

Overall will not be returning ,poor value for money,staff in spa too inexpierenced, and not well trained.Small things like charging for ice and no kettle in room made to feel like they were trying to extract money from you at every opportunity.Much better value and service to be had in other spas,Brooklodge,Lyrath etc.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Mary C
westmeath
Reviewed 8 February 2012

Adult only spa, valet parking, comfortable rooms, food is excellent. I will be back !

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I visit Ireland quite a lot, having friends and family there, and was thrilled when my sister suggested a visit to Monart. I'd heard a lot about it and was delighted to spend some time chilling out and being pampered.

The entrance was a bit daunting, as you have to buzz at a private gate - but when you get up to the old house itself, it's really beautiful.
they've combined old and new really well and I found the gardens particularly, to be a feast for the eyes.

The usual range of spa treatments are on offer and we weren't disappointed with what we had. The room was large, clean and warm. I loved the underfloor heating in the bathroom.

The breakfast was sumptuous but I did have a not so good experience with lunch. At one lunchtime, having ordered food in the cafe in the spa area, I was very disappointed with the soup I got. It was really poor - thin, flavourless and not at all worth the price they ask for it.
I saw the same soup on the menu for dinner and gave it a wide berth!!

Dinner was good, but not as amazing as I expected, and I found the prices for drinks and wine to be quite high.

We had a great visit overall, but the only thing that would turn me off is the cost. While it's a gorgeous place, I've had just as nice visits in other spa hotels for a lot less expense.

Not sure if I'll go back, but if I won the lottery, I would for sure!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank JoJoBlue00
dublin, ireland
Reviewed 4 February 2012

We stayed in monart in january 2012. It is a lovely hotel, very innovative design. It mixes old and new beautifully.

On arrival, one calls through to an intercom and the gates are opened. There is then valet parking.

The bedroom was very nice. In terms of overt luxury, it does not compare with the ritz Carlton in Wicklow or waterford castle, but the look that monart is aiming for is a much more pared-down, midern and organic aesthetic and it achieved this admirably.

The food in the bar was good, particularly the healthy options which were light and tasty.

The food in the restaurant - not so good. We had dinner in the restaurant, which was the heaviest meal I have ever had. Despite having opted for a table d'hôte menu, we had to forgo dessert as we were feeling uncomfortably full after the first two courses. The kitchen needs to work on achieving more balance in the menu.

The spa is nice.

Throughout our stay, the staff were a little funny to deal with, they kept asking us how amazing a stay we were having. It felt as though we were expected to gush with praise at every turn.

On check in we had indicated that we would be paying partly with a gift voucher and the receptionist asked us to provide the gift voucher to reception prior to check out. A slightly strange request, but we complied and left the voucher in reception the night before departing. By our check out, the reception staff had managed to lose the voucher. The receptionist handled this situation incredibly badly. I was left waiting in reception for 30 minutes while she attempted to deal with it, extremely ineffectually. The hotel manager was present but failed to show any leadership or influence the situation. The situation was eventually resolved by me, the guest. I searched the emails on my iPhone and found an email I had written to monart containing the voucher number. A grudging apology later, we settled the balance of the (very significant and wildly overpriced) bill and we were in our way.

In all, we will not be back. This hotel is innovative but as a consequence of deficiencies in the food and service, the high prices are very far from justified.

• Stayed January 2012
2 Thank delilah86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Enniscorthy
3.3 km away
Treacy's Hotel
#3 of 5 in Enniscorthy
29.0 km away
Marlfield House Hotel

Been to Monart? Share your experiences!