“A beautiful gem”

Ranked #1 of 6 Thurles B&B and Inns
Dublin
“A beautiful gem”
Reviewed 15 November 2009

I can only describe Inch House as a beautiful gem. I have stayed there a number of times. It is such a beautiful location, yet only a couple of minutes from the everyday bustle of Thurles. The rooms are superb, the room with the four poster bed is lovely.

The owners daughter, whose name escapes me is a joy. Welcoming, knowlegable about the area, and any thing she can do to make your stay even better is not a problem.

The restaurant although small is stunnning, and the food well just go there. Excellent selection of wines.

I would highly recommend Inch House to anyone who is looking to escape form it all, a place to unwind, great food, lovely atmosphere and staff that will look after you as if you are one of the family

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed 13 October 2008

Inch House is a bit outside of Thurles, but it is well worth the drive. Upon arriving we were greeted by one of Nora and John's daughters who offered us a choice of two rooms and proceeded to show us the beautifully appointed sitting room. John and Nora and their family were very pleasant and helpful. Nora gave us directlions to Farley Castle, a short distance from the Inch House, which was a "do not miss" extra on our trip. The Egans also assisted my husband with his ancestral search and directed us to Tipperary town where we were able to have a records search done. The Egans are lovely people and the Inch House is a beautifully appointed true bed and breakfast.

• Liked — The friendliness and helpfulness of staff
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 26 July 2008

Inch House is good "old fashioned" Irish hospitality in a genuine Irish country house. I spent two nights here while researching family history in the area.

You approach up a long drive - I would guess some 500 meters - that winds through farmland. It is not actually in Thurles, by some distance outside

They will give you a choice of rooms, if a choice is available. The furnishings are antique and genuine. This is not a "interior designer" hotel, more a very agreeable home.

The restaurant is a must here. In winter (maybe in summer too, I am not sure) they close for one night. So I could only eat there on one of the two nights I was there. The night I did eat, the restaurant was full, and full with local people. Thurles is not main stream tourism, so virtually everyone is local.

Before dinner you can have an aperitif and chose from the menu while sitting in front of a roaring peat fire.

The staff are charming, with reception being handled mainly by the family themselves. Everyone has time for a chat.

Really lovely - Ireland as it used to be, and has become difficult to find these days. So its a joy to stumble upon it again in Thurles

• Stayed March 2008, travelled solo
London
Reviewed 28 May 2008

It is worth your while if you are ever in this area to track down Inch house. It is just a short drive out of Thurles town and worth the drive as the accommodation in town is very below par,I know, I have stayed there. We only managed to find this little gem from trip advisor. It is very grand as you drive along the long drive and you wont be dissapointed when you arrive. You are greeted with such warmth and hospitality by everyone, and we arrived very late in the evening when their restaurant was totally in full flow and very busy.
They made us feel so welcome and nothing was too much trouble even though they were very busy with a full restaurant. I was sad that it was too late to eat as the smells from their renowned restaurant were amazing. They gave us a choice of any of the rooms that were available and left us to browse around them at our leisure to pick. We chose a beautiful large room looking over the front grounds with a fantastic view. There is a lovely bar and lounge downstairs where we were given tea after our journey,of course my boyfriend had a beer!! The breakfast was one of the best choices I have seen in a long time, everything was top quality and delicious, we even had warm rubarb and strawberries which was heaven. it is a absolutely beautiful family house and grounds, you feel you are staying in a friends house and not a hotel as it has a lovely atmosphere thoughout. I'd recommend staying more than one night so you can soak up its tranquility and also eat at the restaurant.

• Liked — Warm welcome and hospitality, relaxing,breakfast
  • Disliked — that we couldn't stay longer
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2007

My partner and I stayed at Inch House for one night in April-2007 and it was out of this world. The welcome that greeted us on arrival was reminiscent of Ireland 10-15 years ago (now sadly a thing of the past); warm and genuine.

The room was beautiful. It was large with a tastful decoration that really made you feel like you were in a Jane Austen novel.

The food was exquisit. I have never been so stuffed after a meal. The wine list is excellent and very reasonable.

I will be back, no question. Highly recommended.

• Liked — the welcome and the service
  • Disliked — I couldn't find a fault
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank munsterman
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thurles
9.7 km away
22.9 km away
Baileys Hotel Cashel
Baileys Hotel Cashel
#1 of 2 in Cashel

Been to Inch House? Share your experiences!