“This has been on my "Bucket List"!”

Crossogue Equestrian Centre
Reviewed 18 September 2018

I was on a yoga & riding fitness retreat at Crossogue Equestrian Estate in September 2018 and it was an excellent experience from start to finish! Mark Malloy and his team have made Crossogue such a warm and welcoming place to visit and to stay. Jenny, Zoe and Sylvia made sure we were comfortable and well-fed; 3 wonderfully fresh meals - the food was delicious and graciously prepared and served. The horses are beautiful, loved and well-cared for and the instructors, Noel and Kevin were amazing! The farms' 250 acres in the Irish countryside are lovely and peaceful. Cross-country riding and jumping was new to me and quite challenging, but Noel knew just when to encourage and when to gently push. Loved every minute of it and cannot wait to go back. Truly the trip of a lifetime!! Thank you to Mark and his team for everything.

Date of experience: September 2018
"fitness retreat"
"irish countryside"
"riding ability"

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

My mother had previously been to Crossogue and ever since my 13 year old was born has dreamed of taking her. This year it happened and they both loved it. Mom is a life-long equestrian and my daughter has ridden for about 5 years. We (wife + me) visited for about 24 hours at the end of their week and got to watch them school twice and spent the night there.

They’d made a lot of progress thanks to Noel and confidence was greatly improved. The horses were very well matched for abilities & size. They had a grand time and met several other nice guests but Mark and team stole the show for hospitality and interesting conversation. Those folks (Mark, Noel, Jen, Zoe, etc) are a big part of what makes the experience so brilliant.

The food was excellent and there was always more than enough served. Don’t forget to try/buy some preserves while you’re there too!

It was a week my mother and daughter will never forget and my daughter has already said she wants to go back!

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank pframe231
Reviewed 13 July 2018

Everything about Crossogue is amazing in absolutely all aspects. All of the staff are so generous and welcoming that it feels like you're at home with all of them. The home cooked meals are delicious and there is an abundance of food. They are also great at working with you if you have any food allergies or other dietary considerations.

Our group had a mix of brand new beginner riders, some advanced riders, and every level in between. Crossogue did a fantastic job of pairing all the riders with appropriate horses and breaking the larger group into smaller riding groups based on skill and goals. We worked with the same horse throughout the week so we could get to know them and really grow our riding skills. The instructors are so patient, knowledgeable, and down to earth - they were so fantastic to work with and learn from. They know exactly how to challenge you as a rider while still keeping everything safe and you comfortable.

It was very difficult to leave this amazing place at the end of the week, and I'm already trying to plan another trip back.

Reviewed 6 June 2018

I just recently stayed at Crossogue as part of a group fitness retreat. Crossogue is in the heart of the Irish countryside and takes serious and with passion what they do. Their staff from the house to the stables were always accommodating. They take their lessons very serious but with no pressure. I felt comfortable but yet challenged. I walked away with more than I came with, learning more and more everyday. I never felt pressured to keep up with the daily schedule or itinerary, it was relaxed and a comfortable atmosphere.
The meals were outstanding and made with great care, Thanks to Silvia and Jenny. Mark the owner was extremely accommodating and always went the extra mile to take care of all of our requests. Noel and Mica from the stables, are extremely knowledgeable and made sure I was comfortably challenged everyday. Our tour guide Tom was very happy to share his knowledge of the area, as well as his hurling sticks as a souvenir for my sons back home in the states.
I will definitely return with the rest of my family in the future.

See more reviews
Reviewed 5 June 2018

I went for four days of riding at Crossogue booked through my trusted horsey travel agents Far & Ride.

This was my second visit to Crossogue, I first went for the XC trials in November 2017.

Crossogue don't take adult riders during the summer, but do very popular teenage summer camps though the summer.

Although the main emphasis here is on XC rides, occasionally you will find yourself in the arena having a flat work or show jumping lessons. There is also the occasional gentle hack around the grounds, with lovely relaxing canters in the field or on exercise track. Your coach will decide on the day / previous evening what is best for everyone in the group & the horses. You’ll find the arena work / relaxing morning hack will help you with the rest of the riding. There is riding twice a day, each ride is about 1 - 1.5h in length, depending on group size and jumps you do.

The main instructor is excellent but demanding coach. Both of my visits started with improving technique over small & simple logs, before moving on to more technical questions and bigger fences. This place is really out to improve you, so riders should be able to take gentle criticism on their riding. I found every comment absolutely fair, and my riding massively improved by them. Noel does have patience of a saint,. Even when you keep making the same mistakes over and over again, he just repeats the feedback after your jumps, until it finally sinks in.

You tend to ride the same horse for the length of your stay, the horses are picked based on your level of riding and are all wonderful. They will change your horse if really necessary, but personally I would always trust their choice.

The accommodation is at the main house, and all the meals are included. Food is home cooked and delicious, alcohol is not included but those wanting a little tipple with their dinner can bring their own wine, gin or moonshine!

Rooms are super comfortable, and you really feel like you are visiting a grand country house. The wifi fairly reliable and there are plenty of areas to relax after hard days riding.

Mark and Jen are very welcoming hosts who know their stuff. I especially recommend picking Mark’s brain on all things horsey when you see him around. As a bonus, as Mark breeds thoroughbreds, there were loads of newly minted foals around at the time of my visit. It was lovely to spend break times watching the little colts play in the field.

I would recommend this place for any age and level of rider wanting top class tuition around XC course on great horses.

For anyone interested in competitions, Crossogue holds XC trials in autumn, with a training week attached. You will first spend five days under Noel’s tuition, working around the more technical questions on the XC course and getting to know your horse. Again, the XC rides are intercepted by gentle hacks & arena sessions, depending on what the riders & horses need.

I found that the instruction was pitched to be a little bit more demanding on the run up to the competition. Noel wants to get everyone around the course safe and sound. At the end of the week you will be given the option of which hight of a course you can do (there are three heights, 80cm, 90cm and 100cm). My given options were 90 or 100, I chose 90 as I was on a young horse, and I’m sure if I’d asked I could have gone down to 80 as well.

My steed for the week was Hudson, a lovely ID cross, on the more draughty scale of things. He is fairly young and green, and our expectation for the competition was to get around safe and in good rhythm.

The course is brilliant circular course around the estate. There were about 26 questions on the 90 course, a lot of which are fairly technical. I got eliminated after around 5 run outs / refusals (all due to pilot error) but unless you or the horse are in danger, you are allowed to carry on with the course. Really appreciated this, as it would have been a shame to finish a great week with incomplete course. I got around the course in about 11min, which I was very pleased with.

I really recommend the XC trial competition & training week for anyone after competition experience in encouraging and safe environment, on lovely forward going horses.

2  Thank tilk210