“An idyllic experience in the city”

Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Randburg
Reviewed 8 May 2017

If you are looking for an intimate bush-style retreat in Johannesburg, then look no further. I spent a night at Idwala Boutique Hotel with my family and left feeling thoroughly relaxed. It is easily accessible, near Cresta Shopping Centre, and consists of charming, comfortable rondawels set in beautiful gardens. The rooms have underfloor heating and heated towel rails. The breakfast and dinner were delicious and the service was attentive.

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
JeanetteF66, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2017

Thank you Sara for taking the time and trouble to review Idwala - we really appreciate this and are so pleased that you enjoyed your short stay at our hotel.
Best wishes from the Idwala Team!

There are newer reviews for Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg

Reviewed 30 April 2017 via mobile

Greeted by warm, friendly staff. Beautiful room and bathroom. Excellent fine dining. I had a delicious kingklip and hubby had a pork belly. Ended the evening with hot drinks in front of lovely boma. Well manicured gardens and a perfect getaway from the hustle of the city. A must visit. Such a gem. I don't believe my 7 year old would have appreciated the tranquility though.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vanessa C
JeanetteF66, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

So glad to hear that you enjoyed this special getaway and thank you for your appreciation of our fine dining kitchen!! We hope to see you back at Idwala for your next anniversary - if not sooner!
Best regards from Jeanette and the Idwala team

Reviewed 13 April 2017

I completely lucked out as I booked so quickly during an intensely busy work period.
Jeanette, the owner, arranged for a pickup at the airport by Khaliso for my flight from NYC, who I used for getting around the next two days. Jeanette greeted me upon arrival and the next two days I totally relaxed. The rooms were immaculate and so charming! The staff, particularly Maria, were warm and accommodating. My first evening meal was Kingklip; a new fish to me and was prepared so perfectly, I determined to eat again the next night. The chef, Paul, prepared prawns that were absolutely spectacular. Though I doubt I will be in Johannesburg any time soon again, I would relish the opportunity to stay at Idwala.

Room Tip: The kraal type construction cottage is what I had and it was beautiful!
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2017

Thank you so much for taking the time and trouble to review Idwala - we are delighted that you enjoyed our meals so much and that you found our staff to be so pleasant and helpful - this is what we aim for at Idwala, and it is really rewarding to receive such appreciation from our guests! We do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in South Africa and look forward to a future visit! With best regards from all at Idwala.

Reviewed 31 March 2017 via mobile

Excellent stay at Idwala. People at the hotel are very friendly. Food is especially exclusieve. Clean room, comfortable bed.
Really each and every person is really kind and whatever request we had, we immedieately got a response.
Very recommended place to stay if you are in Johannesburg.

Stayed: March 2017

Thank you very much Stefan for your review of Idwala, I so appreciate you taking the time to write about your experience during your long stay with us. I hope that you had a good trip home and that your wife is now fully recovered. We look forward to welcoming you back some time in the future! Best regards from the Idwala Team.

Reviewed 9 March 2017 via mobile

Idwala ticks all the boxes as mentioned in the reviews, beautiful place with friendly staff. Once upon a time they surely deserved being a 5 star guesthouse. So why am I giving 1 star for a 5 star certified facility?

Let me quote from their website: "Idwala’s passion is to care for guests who are looking for the finer things in life." Here they fail dismally.

And the reason? Lack of supervision and quality control. "You cannot expect what you don't inspect" is the golden rule in the hospitality industry. The mostly absent manager (or owner) should step up or step out.

1. Safe not working and still not fixed on day 2.
2. The kitchen needs more staff and training. They take forever to prepare your breakfast, get the orders wrong (this happened at a previous stay as well) and at both my stays there would be long periods without any staff in the dining room. Both times I found the waiters working in the kitchen to get orders out.
3. The two rooms I stayed in are not upgraded to accommodate charging phones and laptops. Don't expect a wall plug, two point plug or USB close enough to your bed. You will need a lead extension. Wall plugs and extensions are few and overloaded.
4. Very limited TV channels. No CNN, Sky, RT or any other news stations other than eTV, a few Mnet channels and SABC.
5. Expired dates of snacks in bar. The unsealed cookies in the jar with no expiry date were so hard I had to soak them in in my coffee.
6. My bathroom wasn't cleaned on the second day and I had to find someone for soap and shampoo. Very frustrating as I was preparing for evening meetings.
7. No air-conditioning.
8. With little effort and TLC, fresh decor etc. including deep cleaning showers and focusing more on hygiene (see pic of my shower); proper staff training and above all, quality control, this run down place can become a 5 Star establishment again. Currently I would rate it a 3 Star guesthouse.
9. Unfortunately I moved out on day 2 and booked into another place managed professionally. I was offered 50% refund for rates paid in advance.
10. If non of the above bothers you, you will love this place.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled on business
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2017

Dear Pastor Harris

Thank you for taking so much of your valuable time to give us feedback on your experience at Idwala. We are of course sorry that our hotel was not a good match for you.

As I personally told you after breakfast, we regret that you did not enjoy the meal you had, and I apologise once again for the fact that your eggs were not done as you requested.

Kind regards
Jeanette & the Idwala Team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Randburg
2.6 km away
3.7 km away
Apollo Conferencing Hotel
3.2 km away
Mercure Johannesburg Randburg

Been to Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg? Share your experiences!