Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg
US$52
  • Restaurant
US$66
Apollo Conferencing Hotel(Randburg)(Great Value!)
US$62
US$140
Burkleigh House(Randburg)
US$103
US$237
  • Pool
All reviewschef paulheated floorsunderfloor heatingthe cottageskingklipexcellent stayprawnscomfortable bedbeautiful placeshopping centrebusiness tripjohannesburgrondavelgardenbomaaccommodationretreat
Reviewed 23 June 2016 via mobile

The food was outstanding, the service was fantastic and the African bush theme was tastefully and charmingly executed.

Idwala is a 'hidden gem' - while it is central, well connected and easy to find it is definitely unexpected. Thatched chalets, stone paths, cushioned fire pits and a cozy reception and dining room make all areas a pleasure. The bar has a big screen TV (for Saturday afternoon sports) and there is a wood fireplace keeping everything that much more comfortable and cozy.

The staff are friendly, helpful and well trained and I really cannot say enough about the food. I eat out a lot so and I don't praise without merit but I must say my beetroot and goats cheese salad followed by the fillet with pumpkin mash was incredible! Brilliant for a romantic dinner or small overnight birthday party with two courses running for R300 and functions offered with up to 32 guests.

My ONLY issue: while the service during drinks and dinner was wonderful, service at breakfast was a little slow - but I have to say we were a large party having multiple courses and I don't know many kitchen teams that wouldn't struggle to get 16 omelette, French toast and Benedict combinations out within 3minutes of each other ;)

Have to try: the shortbread cookies at the tea and coffee stations in the rooms are AMAZING and the bathrooms are stunning - tea/bath/cookie is a great activity combination right there!

I didn't get to try the spa so I will definitely have to go back for a head massage and some reflexology.

Overall a wonderful, well serviced break!

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2016

Thank you so much for reviewing Idwala - we are delighted that you enjoyed your break and look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future!

Reviewed 20 June 2016 via mobile

Idwala boutique hotel took me by surprise. Nestled in the northcliff neighborhood this intimate guest house is charming, elegant and just plain adorable!

What makes this location so unique is its bush like charm. It indulges your senses and allows you to forget about city life. And let's be honest Joburgers how many of us lust after a city escape!?

The rooms are cosy and quaint, warm and contemporary and allow for a luxurious weekend stay. Plus the under floor heating makes for the ideal winter warmer! It's the small things that count as I always say and the amarula and chocolate left beside the bedside table was a wonderful surprise as was the delicate rose placed beside the bathroom basin. Not to mention the freshly baked biscuits which were absolutely delicious!

On the subject of food the cuisine at Idwala was modern, moreish and beautifully presented! Aesthetically pleasing, tasty, flavorsome and always including the freshest ingredients- the food really is one of this hotels greatest assets! P.S they serve the best Malva pudding in the country!!!!! Ten out of ten!
The service is stellar ,the staff have been trained exceptionally well and Sandra our waitress was hospitable and attentive!

I recommend you have an aperitif after dinner, outside by the boma, where you'll be spellbound by the fire and starry night sky.

Stayed: June 2016, travelled as a couple
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2016

I was so pleased to read your review and to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Idwala. This is what we always hope to achieve and the Idwala Team put so much effort into making each and every guest have a wonderful experience. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Idwala again soon - our special G & T will be waiting for you in the Boma! With best regards from the Team.

Reviewed 18 March 2016

Idwala is close to the Cresta shopping center (Cresta/Northcliff) so lots to do close by but that's not its greatest selling point. I have NEVER had a chocolate mousse like the one served at Idwala. The food is generally very good - bit man - that chocolate mousse....

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled on business
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2016

Thank you Johann we are so glad that you found our chocolate mousse so memorable!!! Please come back again soon to have another one and to enjoy a peaceful stay at our paradise "in the bush"!
Best regards from the Idwala Team!

Reviewed 31 January 2016 via mobile

We spent 2 nights here on vacation. The staff was amazing, from the time we arrived until checkout. The food was top notch. I recommend the springbok. The room was just as pleasant ( especially the heated floor in the bathroom). We will definitely be staying here again on our return trip.

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 9 March 2016

Dear Rick
Thank you so much for writing a review after your visit to Idwala. We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the good service given to you - our staff aim to pamper guests and to ensure that everything runs smoothly! We are also delighted that you enjoyed the Springbok Carpaccio and hope you will be back soon to sample other new items on our menu!
Best regards from the Idwala Team.

Reviewed 11 January 2016

Very cozy lodge and friendly accommodating staff. It was a little hard to find the lodge but my stay overally was very enjoyable. I loved the bathroom!! It is really spacious and done up well. I would definitely return to Idwala Lodge if I am in the area.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
JeanetteFriese, Owner at Idwala Boutique Hotel Johannesburg, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2016

Thank you for reviewing Idwala Boutique Hotel - we are so glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return!