“Sharks Breaching”

African Shark Eco-Charters
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Owner description: Join shark expert and naturalist Rob Lawrence for a personalize true shark experience.Certified "Fair Trade in Tourism", we offer eco-friendly shark cage diving and great white breaching trips in Simon's Town.Small groups only Scuba Diving offered with no dive experience needed. A truly amazing experience.
Ottawa, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Sharks Breaching”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We've been "The Great Whites of False Bay" on the Airjaws trip twice and each time it has delivered fascinating scenes of sharks, seals and sea birds. We have a couple of videos available that show what you may experience (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWkyhB-tId0 and http://www.youtube.comwatch?v=DaEEfYoROmk).

The Airjaws trip lasts about 5 hours and includes a lunch and the opportunity to do some shark cage diving (if the sharks are willing).

Rob Lawrence of African Shark Eco-Charters (ASEC) strives to make your trip memorable.

Visited August 2011
AIRJAWS, Manager at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
Thank you for your review - it is very much appreciated. We are glad that you have enjoyed your experiences with us. We strive to try and make our trips an enjoyable and educational experience for all our visitors. Thank you for the links to your videos. Kind regards, Rob and Karen Lawrence.

Denver, Colorado
50 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“ASEC = Awesome shark exprience”
Reviewed 11 August 2011

Rob Lawrence of African Shark Eco-Charters (ASEC) is arguably the best Shark operator in False Bay. I have used ASEC virtually exclusively for shooting my False Bay and shark breaching images for both my Great White books. Rob and his team are consummate professionals. Their understanding and accommodating the needs of the photographer has delivered spectacular images. In addition their knowledge of White Sharks, the area, weather and shooting conditions has made working with them a pleasure and an education. I have no hesitation in recommending Rob and ASEC for both the casual tourist and the serious photographer.

Dr. Dirk Schmidt
Author of:
WHITE SHARKS
Mysterious, magnificent, misunderstood

and "The Great Whites of False Bay"

Visited June 2011
3 Thank Dirk001
Thank you very much for your review. It had been a pleasure sharing our knowledge and passion of the Great Whites Sharks with you. Kind regards, Rob and Karen Lawrence.
Birmingham, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Experience Of A LIFETIME! The BEST captain and crew in S.A!”
Reviewed 10 August 2011

I just returned from an amazing trip to South Africa and cage diving with the great white sharks was very top of my "must do list" having grown up glued to the tv during Shark Week. I was so grateful to learn about AFRICAN ECO CHARTERS from a friend of a friend that had gone on the AIRJAWS trip with Rob and crew before. The entire trip EXCEEDED my expectations! We watched the sun rise over Seal Island, saw several AWESOME breachings and getting in the cage and watching a 15 foot shark circle our cage was one of the most exciting things that I have EVER done! Captain ROB LAWRENCE was so awesome to talk with as I bombarded him with numerous questions about his years and years of experience with Great Whites and Seal Island. Ironically when we got home from our trip we watched a shark week episode about Seal Island that featured CAPTAIN ROB and his boat The Blue Pointer! AFRICAN ECO CHARTERS is the absolute best choice of company to take you on this UNFORGETTABLE experience! The crew was SO friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. I did NOT want the trip to end!
Thank you Captain Rob and crew for the ultimate Air Jaws experience that I can't stop talking about!

1 Thank JLeeFleming
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this review, 12 August 2011
Rob really loves the great whites and I am so glad to hear that his zeal and enthusiasm ( along with our crew) was passed onto you. Thanks for coming with us and pass on the your experience to others. The more that people get to know that great whites are amazing sharks the more protection they will be awarded. Awareness is the key!
Ballymena, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“An unforgettable experience”
Reviewed 2 August 2011

Having read existing reviews,its difficult to add anything new that describes the amazing day in store for anyone who is fortunate enough to book a trip with the ASEC crew.You are made very welcome from the off,and you get the instant inpression that you will be in safe hands for the duration,which even though is 5 hours+(morning trip) seems to go by so fast because of the incredible sights you are about to see.
Anyone who is in anyway interested in sharks,this trip is a must do.To see White sharks in their element from above the water and from below is something I will never forget.It was always an ambition of mine to see Great White Sharks this way and anyone booking with ASEC will not be dissapointed.The professional,friendly crew make a great experience just that bit more special,and they seem to have a 6th sense and pick up shark activity before anyone else and give commentary and facts the whole time onboard,so not only is there plenty to see but also, even for a shark freak like me,things to learn.
I was unsure before I went out on the boat wether or not I would be brave enough to go in the cage,but once out there I wasn't going to miss this chance.I wasn't worried about the sharks it was more about being underwater, as Im not a diver.Once in the cage at no time did I feel in any danger from the sharks,they did come in close but as they are inquisitive animals, this was just them having a look checking us out,and after all, the closer to the cage the better.

CAUTION.This trip is addictive,after my first,I had to book another three days later.

I can't thank Rob Lawrence and the ASEC crew enough, you have the best jobs in the world and deserve all the praise you receive.Hope to see you all again soon.

TIP/If you can get your hands on a cheap underwater camera /camcorder then do so,you wont regret it.I bought one,and it turned out to be the best £30 I ever spent.

2 Thank wcfullerton
Rob and the crew really enjoyed having you join us on our trip. Thanks for being a great guest and I am glad you had super trips with us.
Dublin, Ireland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Awesome Airjaws”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

I travelled with Rob and his crew for a couple of weeks to try and photograph the famous AIRJAWS of False bay South Africa.After a long flight from Europe i slept well and wandered down to the dock in simonstown to too early in the morning for much conversation! After a half hour ride to the island im awoken to Rob shouting "PREDATION AHEAD, HOLD ON" and with that i am wide awake as we speed to where Rob has seen a flying shark, as we arrive the seal is jumping around staying close to the shark but away from the sharp end! After watching a few predation attempts we tow the decoy seal, sometimes they jump sometimes they dont- depending on weather and sea conditions , on this day one jumps big time! The most incredible thing ive ever seen, you cant take your eyes off the decoy as if it happens it happens fast-make sure your camera has a fast frames per second or to enjoy it more just video it, less stressful and you cant miss, just keep pointed at decoy!.After this it was time for some cage diving, where the highlight was having a great white circle round and round the cage for about 45 minutes-Awesome! I would recommend anyone going to spend 3 to 5 days in the area doing shark trips in the morning and there are many other cool things to do in the afternoons-table mountain, Robben island, Cape point, visit the waterfront etc.Every time i went out to the island i saw something different , apart from the great white sharks there was brydes whales, dolphins (groups of 500) penguins, seals, southern right whales and even breaching humpbacks one day! These guys care about the sharks and they are almost as excited as the guests when the sharks appear.One of the days i was out on the boat Rob had filled a few spaces on the boat to take some of the local shark spotters who are stationed in the area out to see great whites up close in the cage as they often have never seen the sharks up close-the group that came out loved it and really appreciated the invite.Great to see a company giving something back.
Many thanks to all at ASEC for some great adventures!

2 Thank trackerbaz
We are thrilled to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us! Rob and the crew love to share their passion and knowledge about the Great Whites with our visitors. Kind regards, Rob and Karen Lawrence