“Great place beautifully located”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liwonde National Park
Liwonde Safari Camp
Reviewed 10 August 2017

We stayed there for 2 nights and stayed in the dorm as this was more in line with our budget. Safari camps are not cheap but this one is very good value for money. The staff is super friendly (the owner came to chat with us for a bit), the food was very nice (maybe a bit pricey but we were used to cheap restaurant in other places in Malawi and I guess when you are in a National Park everything is more expensive). The dorm is great, very spacious and well designed and the toilets/showers very clean and working well. We did a few tours (walking tour, car safari and boat safari) and I can't recommend one over the others as all were great, our walking tour guide Liwonde (like the park) was the best!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 12 July 2017 via mobile

The Liwonde Safari camp is a beautiful safari camp within Linwonde Park.
Where to begin?

The camp's layout is awesome. It's mostly huts and platforms clustered around each other in the forest, with trails running all about. There are two viewing platforms that look out over the park (great for watch animals or the stars at night).

I stayed in the large dorm, which was really nice. The construction and layout is well done; there are candles one can use and the beds are also comfy.
One can camp, stay in a tent on a platform, or get a private rondal.

The food portions are large and is probably about as good as you can get in Malawi. The bar is an honor system and has a good selection and has chilled water.

The walking tour, driving tour, and boat tour are great. My personal favorite was the boat tour, but that's because we were lucky with seeing elephants.
The tour guides have AMAZING vision and are encyclopedically knowledgeable.

One warning: walking around at night is difficult (very dark). I got lost just trying to go to the bathroom. :-D

Stayed: May 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 June 2017

We were on vacation in Zomba " Malawi "where our daughter and husband lives. They have taken us to Liwonde Safari camp for 2 knights. We slept in the luxury room with such a very nice view and quiet silence. Such a beautiful nature around you. No electricity or other things, just back to basic and both feed on the ground. how nice can live be! Very good food and wine + the way they cook everything, our compliments to the chefs...Also the game drives & boats are fantastic. Very friendly people . The time on Liwonde safari camp are moments to cherish.
Fam.Dons

Room Tip: The "DORMS" are also very nice . They made low walls between 2 are 3 beds so you can still...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2017 via mobile

Stayed twice, once as a group of six in October and once as a three in April. Both times we enjoyed our stay- in the dry season in October there was a lot more wildlife in the park and on our game drive, compared to the end of the rains in April. The camp is nice, friendly cooks and guides. The food is fine although both food and drinks a bit expensive, to be expected as they have to bring supplies in and run their generator/gas fridge. The tents we stayed in are nice, right in the middle of the trees and able to hear the wildlife all night. Our outer tent zip was broken the second time and never fixed, but wasn't too much of an issue. Malawian parks can't really compete with Zambian or South African but we really enjoyed the birds and elephants and hippos, not expecting to see big cats or rhino. I hear they're introducing rhino and leopards so if that works then the park should be even more interesting!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Liwonde Safari Camp is located just 300m from Bushman's Baobabs Lodge, allowing you to visit both lodges before deciding. This was what I wanted to do, and I first looked at Bushman's Baobabs to have a comparison before heading to Liwonde Safari Camp where I had the following, very bad experience:
After I was shown the accommodation possibilities, I asked for a little discount with reference to Bushman's more favorable conditions. In my opinion during low season such a question, posed in a decent, friendly tone, should be allowed in view of 15 $ for a bed in a dorm shared with 10 to 15 people. And I asked only for a comparable discount, like it was given to me at Bushman's. It was by no means a question of playing the two against each other in order to push the price. Now, however, Safari Camp not only refused any discount - no one penny was given - they brought the boss, and he expelled me seriously of the place. But much worse: on my note that I now would have no choice than to go to Bushman's Baobabs, the somewhat gaunt and smoking-born dutchman took reinforcement in the form of a strong of his local employees and barred me by physical violence against me and my clothing from returning to Bushman's Baobabs. Instead they pushed me back - two men against one - until the gate of the terrain, in which both lodges are situated, could be closed. So I was outside of the fence. I would not have been able to use either of the two lodges and instead I would have had to walk back on foot 6 km to the next street, 1 hour before dark, if not by chance I soon was able to stop a car which gave me a lift to Bushman's Baobabs (the two bad guys still where at the gate and now had to open it again for me, now inside the car - what a fun!!), where I had nice days.
I spent 5 weeks traveling as a backpacker in Africa, and despite the many warnings which were given to me by worried people at home, this was the only incident I had to experience: I was overwhelmed by the dutch owner of Liwonde Safari Lodge - a white man, note well, not an African! In beautiful Africa, which is really worth a trip, apart from this place.

Room Tip: Dormitory doesn't look really bad, but travellers who like to live in peace and do their own dec...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Been to Liwonde Safari Camp? Share your experiences!