“Worst experience on my Africa trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Liwonde National Park
Liwonde Safari Camp
Reviewed 17 May 2017

Liwonde Safari Camp is located just 300m from Bushman's Baobabs Lodge, allowing you to visit both lodges before deciding. This was what I wanted to do, and I first looked at Bushman's Baobabs to have a comparison before heading to Liwonde Safari Camp where I had the following, very bad experience:
After I was shown the accommodation possibilities, I asked for a little discount with reference to Bushman's more favorable conditions. In my opinion during low season such a question, posed in a decent, friendly tone, should be allowed in view of 15 $ for a bed in a dorm shared with 10 to 15 people. And I asked only for a comparable discount, like it was given to me at Bushman's. It was by no means a question of playing the two against each other in order to push the price. Now, however, Safari Camp not only refused any discount - no one penny was given - they brought the boss, and he expelled me seriously of the place. But much worse: on my note that I now would have no choice than to go to Bushman's Baobabs, the somewhat gaunt and smoking-born dutchman took reinforcement in the form of a strong of his local employees and barred me by physical violence against me and my clothing from returning to Bushman's Baobabs. Instead they pushed me back - two men against one - until the gate of the terrain, in which both lodges are situated, could be closed. So I was outside of the fence. I would not have been able to use either of the two lodges and instead I would have had to walk back on foot 6 km to the next street, 1 hour before dark, if not by chance I soon was able to stop a car which gave me a lift to Bushman's Baobabs (the two bad guys still where at the gate and now had to open it again for me, now inside the car - what a fun!!), where I had nice days.
I spent 5 weeks traveling as a backpacker in Africa, and despite the many warnings which were given to me by worried people at home, this was the only incident I had to experience: I was overwhelmed by the dutch owner of Liwonde Safari Lodge - a white man, note well, not an African! In beautiful Africa, which is really worth a trip, apart from this place.

Room Tip: Dormitory doesn't look really bad, but travellers who like to live in peace and do their own dec...
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled solo

Reviewed 8 May 2017

The facilities, food, and most importantly, staff, of this faculty are just wonderful. We did the river safari, which was fun and better than a river safari at a different hotel.

What was most remarkable about my stay was the kindness and honesty of the staff when I left my iPhone in the room the morning I left. Not only did they recover the phone from my room and save it at the desk, they held on to the phone for two months while I sorted out who could pick it up and then send it to the United States. They even kept the phone charged, using some of their very limited electricity.

5 stars is simply not enough to reflect how excellent this lodge is for the price.

• Stayed: October 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

The lodge is fantastic.
Tents located remotely from each other and very well designed.
Food is very tasty , but takes time to prepare.
Service is very good.

Car safari is Avarage.

Walking safari is a joke.
Avoid it.
You can walk around the by you own.......

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2017

Very nice place to stay! Staff is great, dormitory are very cosy for a safari camp, shared showers are just perfect and efficient. Food was good and simple.
The organisation of the boat trip and game drive were really great. William was a fantastic guide, knowing a lot about nature. Walking safari was also fantastic.
Price are really ok compared to other place in the area

Room Tip: In low season, dormitory was great cause we were the only guests
  • Stayed: November 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 January 2017

Very rustic bush camp on a par with South African backpackers accommodation. The boat trip on the Shire was great as was the game drive in Liwonde. Our guide was very knowledgeable and professional. We used the dormitory which was fairly basic but no complaints. Very nice hot showers and food was basic but good. Staff were very friendly. The camp is rough around the edges but an authentic experience, particularly for those visiting Africa for the first time.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank steelew2017

Been to Liwonde Safari Camp? Share your experiences!