Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Hotels.comUS$111
TravelocityUS$111
Orbitz.comUS$111
CheapTicketsUS$111
TripadvisorUS$111
Snaptravel
All reviews callaloo modern hotel dive shop brewed coffee good size the main street perfect location right on the beach ocean front low key sun loungers ceiling fan butterfly bar in town deefer diving daily maid service two days sandy island
Selected filters
Reviewed 6 May 2019

I spent a couple of nights in Carriacou on my way through the Grenadines. The Mermaid is excellently located on the beach in Hillsborough. The service was good and the couple of meals I had there were tasty and good value.

Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank SimonJL9
Reviewed 14 April 2019

The last time I stayed in Carriacou was in 2013. I don't know why it took me so long to go back! Not going to make that mistake again, now that there is The Mermaid Hotel located in Hillsborough.

The ferry from mainland Grenada departs there at 8 am on a Sunday (9 am other days), allowing you to arrive in Carriacou early. The fast ferry is 90 minutes. I took a regular bus from the port, which is no longer in Hillsborough, but Tyrell Bay. This is a good thing, as it makes the hotels in town feel more like being in a resort area. The ride from the port is about 10 - 15 minutes, depending on if the bus has to stop.

Fortunately, my room was ready so I was able to check in immediately. I stayed in an Oceanview room for 1 night. The room is spacious, light and airy, with 3 sets of windows, 2 facing the ocean and 1 facing the adjacent Callaloo Restaurant. I wished I could have slept with the windows open to take advantage of the sounds of the ocean.

There were plenty towels, including wash cloths, along with sufficient soap, shampoo and body moisturizing lotion. Hot water was plentiful. There was a rain shower.

Had an omelette for breakfast. Pity there were no more Bakes but it was close to 11 am. I was pleased that they had brewed coffee from Arabica beans! They also had Instant Coffee. The restaurant offers gorgeous views of the bay.

The weather was fantastic. Lying on the beach on one of the hotel's beach chairs was blissful, relaxing and just what I needed after a busy couple of months. Beach towels are available.

The wi-fi worked well most of the time. I was able to watch Netflix while at dinner. I found that the signal dropped in the night after dinner while I was in the room, perhaps because more persons were on at the same time.

The hotel has been open for about 3 years and the relative newness shows. I got a tour of other room categories and they are all lovely. While some have more windows than others, they all had good light.

With a few small enhancements, The Mermaid Hotel could easily become the "go-to" hotel in Carriacou, no matter your reason for being on the island. They have an area off the Reception desk which can be used for meetings.

I would not look for anywhere else to stay on my return visit to Carriacou. I would certainly recommend it, without hesitation.

Room tip: "Splurge" and choose the Oceanview room. Even though it is the most expensive, It is really reasonably priced.
Date of stay: March 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
3  Thank MonaMacTravels
Reviewed 1 April 2019

Pros: the location - right on the lovely sandy beach with clear and calm waters, right in the town. The restaurant & bar (Callaloo) is attached to the hotel and offers breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks. A/C works, room was clean, simple and comfy. Close to the airport. Sun loungers.

Cons: wifi signal is very weak, you have to go to the common area to get any signal. Phone in the room did not work, and some maintenance could be done (e.g. shower faucet detaching from the wall, glass shower door/seal partially allowing water to flow out, batteries in safe dead.)

Even though this is not a Ritz, or Sandals, the island itself (few people), great secluded beaches and slow, laid-back atmosphere and the positive sites of the place make it easy for me to recommend this hotel.

Room tip: upstairs, the closest one to the beach (with full ocean view)
Date of stay: March 2019
3  Thank Azzi E
Reviewed 16 March 2019

This is a lovely hotel situated right on the beach so that you can walk out of the door onto the sand little food places and bars within 10 minutes walk. The staff at the Hotel restaurant/Bar were very friendly and helpful. This hotel allowed us to Limin

Room tip: best rooms are the first floor Ocean rooms to walk straight onto the beach or the second floor ocean view rooms for a great view
Date of stay: February 2019
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
LeoJ938, Front Office Manager at The Mermaid Beach Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2019

Thanks for staying with us. We appreciate your feedback!

Reviewed 4 March 2019

It took me awhile to write this review as it was such a bad experience - might even be the worst hotel experience we ever had (and we've been to nearly 60 countries).

First of all, we went over Christmas/Boxing Day. The hotel didn't make a point to let us know that they would be totally shut down prior to our arrival. So, if you want to visit, take the time to send an email to make sure everything will be open the dates you are there so you don't get stranded like we did.

Our arrival was horrible - we were simply told that the whole island would be closed and to make sure we get food to last us several days while stores were open (we weren't even walked to our room). Mind you, all that's in the room is a tiny mini fridge. When I asked if there were any restaurants open so we could make arrangements the women said she wasn't sure but was "looking into it." I immediately tried calling around, but the phone in our room didn't work so I had to go back to the reception desk to use theirs multiple times throughout the day. The front desk woman just sat in the back getting her hair done the whole time - she obviously had no intention of doing any research to find out what was open at all. Luckily, I was on top of that or we would have been screwed if we depended on her "efforts." Also, I had to make sure I grabbed plates, silverware and cups from the restaurant. The whole thing was a mess.

Also, this hotel labels itself as a "non-smoking property" per the website. That is not true. Upon check-in, someone was smoking in the center common space that faces all the rooms. I told the front desk and they said they would handle it (which they did not - even though I asked twice; she was too busy getting her hair done).

Like I mentioned earlier, our phone didn't work, and discovered so many other crappy parts of the room that were falling apart (ex: the bathroom windows wouldn't stay open, the shower door was scraping the floor and took some muscle to open, etc.). There is literally no attention to maintenance there. Yes, the decor is decent, but once you start using the room, you realize how bad it is.

It's hard to comment on the restaurant or maid service since that was not available during our stay. We were able to eat at the restaurant only the first day we checked in, but the food was not that great at all (it's just whatever fish, slapped together salad, french fries; I got beans and salad, which left much to be desired) and the servers seemed a bit more preoccupied in their own conversations than actually serving. The most interaction we ended up having were with the front desk and like I mentioned previously, they were more just bodies sitting near the front desk. Getting your weave done at work is just beyond unprofessional and sent us the message that helping guests was not top priority.

We did venture around the island (thank goodness we found a driver that was available those days). The beaches are pretty, but they aren't worth it; there are many other islands nearby that are way more worth it (ex: Bequia).

There is literally no reason to stay at this hotel. I'd recommend getting an Airbnb so you aren't frustrated at the bad service and run down property or checking out the Bogles Round House (although I heard the beach at Bogles was not great at all).

Also, if you do care to take the risk to stay here after reading this review, make sure you request a quiet room. 2 of the nights there was loud music literally right across the street. Thank goodness we always travel with ear plugs, however, they did very little to block the music (it sounded like it was inside our room) - we got the worst sleep.

Room tip: Rooms closest to the beach are quietest (less street noice), however, that's where the smokers tend to be. Better off getting an Airbnb.
Date of stay: December 2018