“Very mediocre food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 October 2020 via mobile

I was very disappointed with the food here.

Soup was nice. Scallops were nice.

Cod tail was tasteless and undercooked.

Desert (poached pears) was sickly sweet and unimpressive.

I expected so much more. As gastropubs go, this was a disappointment

Date of visit: October 2020
1  Thank Gadabout1963
Write a reviewReviews (359)

Reviewed 4 October 2020

We had pre-booked the Parrot for an evening meal, as we were away in Suffolk for just a couple of days. They have created an inviting, cosy atmosphere; yet you feel safe in these current uncertain times. We were directed immediately to a lovely table in a little nook, by the window. We shared some chicken wings to start, which were very tasty (although personally, we prefer ours a little more charred looking). We both had the ribeye, which was cooked superbly; a lovely piece of meat presented wonderfully. Accompanied by a very delicious Shiraz, from a well-chosen wine list. We finished our meal with a shared cheese platter and some great Suffolk iced cider. We really were made to feel extremely welcome and the food was top notch. An excellent place to dine!

1  Thank marlboroughboys
Reviewed 30 September 2020

We had booked a table for two here at the end of a short holiday in Suffolk before our return home to Bedfordshire.
The food, service and ambience here were all excellent. We felt perfectly safe and all Covid regulations were adhered to.

The menu is far above your usual "pub fayre" and offered many tempting meals.
My husband chose the scallops followed by the lamb shoulder followed by brioche marmalade bread and butter pudding and thoroughly enjoyed every mouthful.
As a vegetarian, I chose the harissa hummus with warm pitta bread, which I didn't want to end as it was so wonderfully tasty. This was followed by the leek and celeriac tartefine with balsamic dressing and new potatoes. Oh boy was it good. I can honestly say it was the best vegetarian meal I have eaten in a long time.

During these current difficult times, please support this local hostelry and keep it going. Their hard work should be appreciated by locals and visitors alike.

Great place.

Reviewed 28 September 2020

Despite the inevitable barriers put up by face masks and visors the staff did all they could to make us welcome - and indeed just to be normal! The food was very good indeed. One way I sometimes choose in a restaurant is to eliminate various things that I know I don't want - here I couldn't eliminate anything! Good atmosphere, temperature, parking, loos. Resonably priced too.

Reviewed 25 September 2020 via mobile

Had a delicious lunch in this quaint village pub. Liked that the menu offered more unusual choices and the specials board offered further choice. Very friendly and efficient staff - felt very safe.