“Brilliant Food”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 8 March 2020

Had lunch today and travelled from Essex with family.
The food was excellent, beef roast, curry and baked haddock all cooked to perfection.
The staff was friendly and very helpful. Always our favourite pub when in Suffolk.

Date of visit: March 2020
Write a reviewReviews (366)

Reviewed 27 February 2020

We pre-booked advising we were bringing a dog and had a fabulous time. A party of 5 shared 3 starters - shallot humus & pitta bread x 2 and an amazing smoked chicken salad with crispy noodles and a hazelnut dressing. Mains were stone baked bass, vegetarian curry, rump steak, lamb and haddock; we then shared rhubarb & stem ginger syllabub and pineapple rice pudding with lime curd. The food was amazing, the service great and the atmosphere very friendly. Highly recommended and will definitely be back!

Date of visit: February 2020
Reviewed 14 January 2020

Dinner with family. We had wonderful service and food was excellent .. we all had starter and main course. Everyone enjoyed what they had

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed 11 January 2020

Our table wasn’t the best it was in a bit of a corridor in the middle of the bar and half way to the toilet. It mean people squeezed past to get to the toilet.

If that had been the only issue I could have lived with it.

The bread basket of pump bakery bread was just sliced brown and white bread nothing special for almost £4. I would have expected some of their sourdough or their artisan breads.

Olives were nice.

Main courses was the roast sirloin beef it was nice but nothing special. However the other three had problems with their duck, all found it salty and one very very salty. The duck was nice if you had it would the sauce. The staff did reduce the prices for the duck eaters and explained it was the bacon in the cabbage that had caused the dishes to be very salty.

Puddings were OK nothing special and the Tonka Bean creme brûlée was an odd taste. To be honest we didn't want to complain anymore.

To be honest we weren’t impressed the food was not what we expected and in our case one ingredient too many. The food used to be more traditional Sunday lunch fare and that is why we have gone back over the years.

I should say the staff were very good and very apologetic. Nice set of beers. Nice atmosphere. Good size car park.

The questions I always ask myself after a meal is would I go back and would I recommend it. Not sure I’d go back. With over 300 of my reviews on TA I do try to be balanced with my reviews but not sure I would recommend this to visitors to Suffolk.

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank edwmagee
Reviewed 7 January 2020 via mobile

I booked for a group of 18 including young children a while back as we were all going to Aldeburgh for New Year. Previous to the day itself I told everyone the wrong time by an hour, however no one minded as all were well looked after by the really helpful staff until our table was ready.
The pub has a great ambience and the food really surprised us all, everyone was very satisfied, the goat curry went down really well as did the steaks. We had a great few hours at The Parrot and Punchbowl and would definitely go back when visiting the area.

Date of visit: December 2019