17,969 results
All reviewsamerican grillavenue bargabi restaurantgolf cartla gondolatropical lobbyvip loungegabi poollevel sectiontime sharesteak and lobsterdominican restaurantbreakfast and lunchkids clubdominican republicdinner reservationsmaster suite
Reviewed 29 May 2018 via mobile

Im still at the resort as I type this, will be checking out tomorrow may 29th

Checking in was brutal, I spent about 2 hours checking in 3 rooms under my name for friends that accompanied me. The hotel did tell me they would have something in my room for my inconvenience, that was on Friday, today is Monday and I'm still waiting for that inconvenience gesture that I was supposed to receive 4 days ago

Overall a great hotel, good food, immaculate grounds. Would definitely return again

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with friends
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2018

Dear Eric,

Receive our sincerest gratitude for having selected our Melia Caribe Tropical to enjoy your holidays in Dominican Republic.

Our passion is to create unforgettable experience that derives in good memories of a perfect vacation therefore, we lament to learn that this was not your case. Please, receive our sincerest apologies for the time spent in our registration process, we assure you that this is not in anayways the kind of experience we are committed to provide.

We appreciate your valuable comments regarding our hotel and gastronomy, comments like this make us feel we are in the correct way to reach our goal of total satisfaction.

Please, consider this as your home away from home and the place we will be delighted to have you back soon.

Reviewed 28 May 2018 via mobile

My fiancée and I just got home yesterday from a 8 night vacation at the Level adults only section of the Melia. As in anywhere you go you have your pros and cons. I have to start out and say the service inside he resort was amazing. Everyone was super friendly. There was one guy named Eddie he wasn’t even the person we were supposed to report too but he really went over and beyond for us. He has been there 11 years and really thought he was the manager. He was the only person I saw walking around greeting you everything and making you feel special. He surprised my fiancée and I with a horse and buggy to the Japanese restaurant which was so exciting. When it was time to go home he picked us up at our room and waiting until we were ready to be picked up. He was so perfessional and management should really think about moving him up in the company.
Also we had a great night we went to the lobby bar and saw our bartender Jairon he was awesome as well and made us feel welcome. I don’t speak Spanish so he would teach me every night when he wasn’t busy. He hugged us and really felt like he looked forward in seeing us each night. We became Facebook friends and look forward in keeping in touch with him how it was hard to say bye. We also, loved our girl Nikki. She was friendly and just as out going. The pool side guys were really entertaining and also so friendly. It was nice they had something everyday by the pool to entertain you and make you laugh.
Rooms were really nice and food was good. Maid was really on top of her stuff. Never went back into the room without it being spotless.
Ok the only things I was disappointed in the beach was awful. Looking at it at a distance was beautiful when you walk down so much seaweed everywhere. When you got into the water it would just stick to you everywhere. We stayed at the pool pretty much every single day. The pool bartenders meaning swim up bartenders were really mean and didn’t make me feel comfortable to even get my own drink. My fiancée would have to do it because they would just give you a nasty look which made you not want to tip. I felt like because I was white and didn’t speak Spanish that mattered. Just like back home in the USA if you don’t get good service you feel like you don’t want to tip. Bartending is where the money is and I just felt like they need to be trained better or at least just smile and make you feel comfortable weather what race you are. We went to Mexico a few years ago and our swim up bar guy didn’t speak any English but he was fun and always smiled. I hope management really takes something to effect.

Your friends from Ohio

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2018

Dear Guest,

Thanks a lot fot your awesome review and for sharing your wonderful experience at Meliá Caribe Tropical with other travelers.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you, as well, for choosing our hotel as your destination for your engagement vacation trip. We really wish you the best, a life full of love and joy.

We appreciate all your kind words, but, moreover, we are truly grateful for your acknowledgement of the professional service provided by our team, specially by Eddie, Jairon, Nikki, all the entertainment team and your maid. We are very proud of our staff and, for that matter, I will gladly pass on your compliments to them. By the way, rest assured, I will share your comments and recommendations about Eddie with our management.

On the other hand, I would like to apologize for the poor attitude of our pool bartenders. I am sorry they made you feel uncomfortable. This is unacceptable and we will surely discuss this with the departments involved.

I would like to apologize, as well, for the inconveniences you encountered with the seaweed at the beach. We have a daily cleaning program for our beach, however, lately the amount of seaweed has increased considerably. We are currently working to improve, even more, the care of our beach.

Thanks for being part of our family. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

Stayed at the Melia Adults only, room was clean, bed was exceptional, great food, went to the Gabi restaurant frequently, food and service was exceptional. Check in and ch,eckout was efficient, there were delays in luggage to the room, would recommend transporting your luggage with you when escorted to your room.

Stayed: March 2018
1  Thank Mary P

Dear Mary,

I would like to thank you for sharing your wonderful experience at Meliá Caribe Tropical with other travelers and potential guests of our hotel. It is a pleasure to hear of the amazing time you had while staying at our hotel. For that matter, we would like to extend our gratitude to you for your appreciation of our facilities, accomodations, restaurants and bars.

On the other hand, I apologize for any inconvenience you encountered with your luggage. Rest assured, I will be sharing your words with the departments involved in order to prevent similar situations in the future.

Hopefully, we will have another opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 May 2018

Overall, I would say we were a little disappointed in our stay. The check-in process was very inefficient and we waited over an hour before we could go to our room. We had to sit out in the heat and humidity after a long day of travel as our rooms weren't ready yet. The resort is too large. It was a half mile walk from our room to the beach. They did have trains shuttling folks back and forth, but you could wait 30 minutes before seeing one. We were woke up the first three mornings, before 8:30, by either the maid staff wanting to clean our room or the front desk. One of our rooms had multiple issues with the toilet and it took them three times to repair it properly. The pool was extremely dirty and not fit to swim in, in my opinion. Too many vendors on the beach ad you were bothered every 5 minutes by one of them trying to sell you something. The food was mediocre and very bland tasting, unless you wanted to pay an additional $50 per person to eat at the Japanese or Steak & Lobster restaurants. The alcohol, aside from beer, was bottom shelf alcohol and you could tell it was watered down. You could drink 10 shots of the free tequila and feel nothing, but as soon as you pay $6 per shot for the top shelf tequila, you could certainly feel a difference. Overall, just disappointed.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2018

Dear Drew,

First of all, I would like to thank you for taking some of your valuable time to share your experience at Meliå Caribe Tropical with other travelers and potential guests of our hotel.

I deeply regret to know we did not meet your expectations completely. Whilst an apology won’t change the outcome of your vacation time with us, I extend it sincerely. Rest assured, it will be our priority to share your feedback with all the departments involved, in order to improve, if possible, our services, so we can offer you an unforgettable experience always.

Allow me, please, to inform you, we are currently working to improve the check in process, so next time you visit us we can offer you a quick and efficient process.

We strive to deliver our guests an unique culinary experience and, for this matter, I am disappointed to realize you did not appreciate the quality of our food and drinks. I will certainly discuss your remarks with the Food and Beverage department.

Thanks for bring to our attention the conditions of your room. We will make sure to pass on the information to the departments involved, in order to improve the maintenance and care of our accomodations.

Although we felt short on meeting all your expectations, I really hope you give us another opportunity to offer you the outstanding experience you expect and deserve.

Reviewed 25 May 2018

My first impression upon arrival was - based on the pictures on line and my first impression was “this place is great”.
Over all the staff are all accommodating. The room was well kept. The fridge was stocked with sodas, beer, water and juice. Coffee area also well stocked. There’s always somewhere to get a snack in addition to room service.

The propriety is huge and I’m not sure if it’s a result of the FIRE they had back in January 2018 (which was not mentioned on the web site) but things seem very confusing. Example: the Dominican restaurant doesn’t serve Dominican food it’s international and Italian. You think staying at a Dominican inclusive resort would represent their food..right? The faculty is under restoration and things are shifted around but you have to figure that on your own.

All major events: pick-ups / excursions are conducted in the MAIN LOBBY. Remember your main lobby otherwise you’ll be confused. There are 2-3 lobbies.

There are multiple out side vendors in the main lobby and you don’t know that they’re not a part of the hotel until you try to get help from the hotel staff regarding one of these vendors.

There are gulf carts to shuttle you back and forth and 4 different trains - Green / Blue / Orange / red trains.

Room: clean, however as advertised there was no premium pillow choices noted or offered.

The beach was full of seaweeds, could be the time of year - not sure but again on the site the beach is clean and beautiful. There are enough lounge chairs and cover “luxury lounge areas” but you have to claim it before 7AM, no joke. We were never able to get one because we were not getting up at 6-6:30 AM to get premium seats.

The included premium liquor is not exactly true. You have to pay for some top shelf drinks.

Dinner on the beach: again, it might have been the time to year (May) was far from romantic as stated by the waiter who walks around and sells this promo. The catch is you have to buy a bottle of wine. Why is wasn’t romantic: it was windy so your food was cold and there was nothing special about the menu.

Shopping: for some reason the staff (that’s correct, the staff) pushed for us to go shopping in the mall infront of the hotel. I’m suspecting they get a referral fee perhaps? The price of the gift shop was very competitive and reasonable.

The staff kept telling us we look “Dominican” I’m still on the fence if that helped in customer services or hindered customer services?

Conclusion: what would help future vacationers - upon arrival guest should be provided with a quick breakdown of this huge property. It clearly helps if you speak Spanish. Overall I would still recommend this facility.

Keep in mind: customer service is not on a “New York” minute but more so on island time.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Asquite1260
MeliaCT, Community Manager at Melia Caribe Tropical, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2018

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your review and for sharing your experience with the TripAdvisor community.

I am disappointed to know we did not meet your expectations completely. Please, accept my most sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered during your stay at our resort. We appreciate your comments and suggestions, as they help us identify areas we might need to improve. Rest assured, I will discuss your remarks regarding the information provided to our guests at arrival with all the departments involved in order to enhance the general experience of our guests.

I am sorry for the mishaps with the seaweed at the beach. We have in place a daily cleaning program for our beach, however, in this period the amount of seaweed has increased considerably. We are currently working hard to improve the maintenance and cleaning of our beautiful beach.

We would like to thank you for bringing to our attention the attitude of our team regarding the mall in front of the hotel. Please, be certain, we will discuss your remarks with all of them, in order to recite this situation.

Thanks for choosing us as your vacation destination. We really hope you give us another opportunity to offer you the outstanding experience you deserve.