See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 22 July 2013

My husband and I stayed with Richard April 2012. We had the most fantastic time there, and he was the best host! Every day he treated us to a wonderful and filling breakfast. He was charming and friendly, and even made restaurant reservations for us at a beautiful little Thai restaurant. The pool was clean and refreshing and the area was very convenient. We stayed at three different places during our visit to the DR, including an all inclusive resort. Casa Serena by far surpassed the other two places! We highly recommend Casa Serena to anyone!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank corina_gill
Reviewed 6 June 2013

My fiancé and I spent just over a week at Casa Serena and it was just what we needed. We came across this guest house, when a friend told us they were planning on staying at Casa Serena, later in the year.
When we arrived, we were greeted by Richard the host, who was so friendly and attentive for the whole of our stay and by the time we left, we felt as though we'd known him forever. He came up with some great suggestions as far as things to do. And I have to say snorkelling at "Paradise Island" just blew me away ... it's hard to believe how beautiful it is under our oceans. The trip to the waterfalls was fantastic and the Museum Of Hatian Art was to say the least, strange but really fascinating ... but it HAS to be seen to be believed. The beach at Sosua Bay was great with lots of little shack shops, selling paintings, wood carvings and beaded trinkets. The little beach side huts, selling yummy snacks and cooling drinks. Cabarete beach is about 10-15 minutes away, going east and has a totally different feel to Sosua Bay. An evening dinner trip to Cabarete is a must because it looks so romantic and pretty, when sitting in one of the beach side restaurants. Talking of food ... Richard told us about the Thai Restaurant, further up the hill on La Mulata ... it was wonderful and the food was delicious. That was a fantastic suggestion, because on the first night we just wanted to stay local, after a long flight from the UK. Our room in the turret had it's own private balcony and a lovely view over the hill. Great breakfasts and a swimming pool, for an afternoon dip. Overall ... A perfect retreat from the hullaballoo of Sosua town. THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES RICHARD !!

Room Tip: The turret room is ideal if you want total privacy and is fantastic for watching the stars at night ... reach out and touch !
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Howes C
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We stayed 4 nights in the Turret Room which is big and airy with great views. The property itself and pool is wonderful. Richard was a great host, he really looked after us - nothing was too much trouble and we had many lovely long conversations with him. He's a really good guy.
Sosua is only 15 - 20 mins from Puerto Plata airport and easy to find. There is alot going on at Sosua beach but there is a quiter one very close by which is very nice.
We also did a great day trip further down the coast to Playa Grande, Playa Diamanate and other unamed beaches on the way that were beautiful and some empty.
The town of Sosua with restaurants, bars, discotecas is a very short car ride - parking no problem and safe. Don't stay at those awful all inclusive hotels - this is a perfect place for you to stay and explore the beautiful coastline of the Dominican Republic without all the crowds.
Thank you very much Richard for your great hospitatlity!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank mioymia
Reviewed 18 May 2012

What a great property and host! My partner and I were blown away by the incredible service, the property is quiet and relaxing.

I can't wait to go back - and hopefully if buy the place if ever on sale and I can afford it :)

Room Tip: Room by the pool is perfect,
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RealEstateToronto
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I just had to add to my wife's review below and thank Richard for turning us both onto B&Bs... I honestly can't see myself ever booking a 'hotel room' again.

This was my first experience staying at a B&B and we stayed almost a week here in Jan. 2011 for a quick vacation. When we travelled across Europe in the summer for six weeks later in '11 we ONLY looked at B&Bs because of our wonderful experience at Casa Serena.

To begin, you could not ask for more in a host, and you'll find Richard and his family of dogs make you feel right at home. Forget Frommers or Rick Steve's guides... chat with Richard over breakfast and you"ll hit all the best sights and restaurants and get great tips as well.

My main concern when booking was the distance from town... forget it, you'll be extatic you aren't staying closer come nightfall when the music gets turned up on the main strip. The walk into town is a short 15 min and a great chance to check out the local neighborhood. We hiked it every day, often twice.

Can't miss attractions:
1 - King Mundo museum.... just go and don't research it before you do. Trust me on this.
2 - Thai restaurant near Casa Serena
3 - Sosua beach... we went South to Cabarete, North to Puerto Plata.. Sosua beach was by FAR the best. Pay for a beach chair and relax the day away.

Enjoy... can't wait to book a return trip!

Room Tip: The 'excellent' fitness center was the walk into and back from town. Either room is amazing... stayed in both and not a preference.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple