Review Highlights
Wonderful Area For the Culture and Nature

Toraja is a truly area visited because of its unique culture and incredible natural scenery.this... read more

Reviewed 3 weeks ago
Thomasbashler
via mobile
A lovely Area For the Culture and Nature.

Tana toraja is very famous area for the cultural tour and nature.Although most of them are... read more

Reviewed 5 weeks ago
larsensteven
via mobile

All reviews unique culture funeral ceremony speak english very well his knowledge great guide local guide rice fields landscape respect highlights indonesia kate celebration tourists buffalo baby motorbike
Reviewed 28 October 2017

My partner and I did a 4 Day tour with local-guides dot org in October. It was absolutely great!

We had a very enthusiastic Toraja guide who spoke English very well and knew everything about both the culture, each corner of all the villages and breath-taking trekking routes through the rice fields and the beautiful mountains! I found local-guides accidentally as I already did a magnificent orangutan tour with them in Tanjung Puting and they informed me that they recently started providing affordable tours in Tana Toraja as well.

Initially, I considered not to book anything in advance and find a guide upon arrival myself, but I am very glad I didn’t do so because then we had to spend quite some valuable time finding a good guide and I cannot imagine he would be better or even cheaper (I paid 1 mln IDR per day for guide + diver + AC car) than what we got from local-guides. I highly recommend them not only because of the amazing tour they provided, but also because they appear very fair with their pricing (they also have a good airport pickup service) and patiently answered all my questions via e-mail in advance.

I recommend to spend at least 3 days in Tana Toraja to see the culture (1 Day), attend a ceremony (1 Day) and hike through the beautiful mountains and valleys (1 Day). It would be a pity to miss out the rich diversity of the area when you did so much effort to get there.

2  Thank Melly4ever
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Last May, we did a 2 day hiking trip through the Toraja area with our guide Imanuel Timbang. Great experience for us, Imanuel was very friendly and was very knowledgeble about the culture and way of living. Thanks Imanuel!

2  Thank Anniek S
Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

One of the place we Can see about culture, Natur and Future, maybe the other one have written the same opinoin but. Toraja Is Never Stop become Conversation.

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Tana Toraja was my first solo backpacking trip in life that I did in 2011, I only had a short time to travel this place. I arrived at Rante Pao in the morning after a one night sleep in a bus from Makassar the night before. I didn’t really have any idea how to travel around. At my first step out of a bus, a motorcycle taxi (ojek) came over me. I negotiated with him and hired him for one day to travel around Toraja, I think is was around 100.000 rupiah.

My first destination around was the northern hills around, where you could find the Bori Kalimbuang menhir, some kind of a round ceremonial yad with menhir tower like Stonehenge.

Later on that day in continued my trip to the famous Kete Kesu village, the Londa grave cave dan finally the cliff gradeyard of Lemo. I wasn’t on the best physic that time because of the one night sleep at the bus the night before; I finally looked for a hotel to get some short rest, because on the night I have to continue back to Makassar with the same bus.

Rantepao is a very peaceful area with surrounding karst landscape and paddy fields along the streams of Sadan river. If I had more time I would’ve add the Lokomata giant grave in the northern hills, and the baby tree grave in Kambira. And of course hunting the famous Rambu Solo cemetery ceremony.

My advice is you better give more time to explore, arrange a better way to get there (needs 10 hours bus from Makassar), and check first for schedules of the great ceremony.

Must visit place around here: Kete Kesu village, Lemo cliff grave, Londa cave grave, Bori Kalimbuang menhir, Lokomata, Kambira tree grave.

Reviewed 11 August 2017 via mobile

We stayed in the Tana Toraja villages for 3 days (august 2017). On forehand, we did not know what to expect. Some guy we met in Makassar arranged us a tour guide who picked us up at the hotel. His name was Johny Burun. He was our guide for 2 days and he definitely is one of the best of Toraja region. He knows a lot about the Toraja culture, since he is from Tana Toraja himself and is the chairman of a little Torajan Village. He was even interviewed by National Geographic about the Toraja culture. His explanation was very clear, using a wide vocabulary of English words.

On the first day he took us to the ceremony up in the mountains. We didn't take the main road, but walked trough the rice-fields and little villages, ending up at the place of ceremony. The scenery was beautiful and Johny gave us enough time to take pictures and enjoy the view. At the ceremony, Johny started to share all his knowledge about the Toraja culture (which was a lot since Johny is from Tana Toraja himself!). Due to Johny's contacts, we were invited at a local family to have coffee and share a lunch. After visiting the ceremony Johny asked us about our interests and gave us several options about what to do in the afternoon. We visited multiple villages, seeing all the highlights of the Torajan culture.

The second day, Johny and his driver picked us up at the hotel again. Again, Johny gave us several options about what to do. Since we enjoyed the ceremony, we decided to go there again. One of us did not want to see the slaughtering of animals. Again, Johny was thinking with us and made sure that the program fitted our needs. We visited some more beautiful places and then were invited to Johny's own village. We saw a deadman there, taken care of following the Torajan tradition. This was a really impressive experience, again made possible because of Johny's connections with the local people. The villagers told us we were the first tourists to ever visit the village! Afterwards, we went to a beautiful place named Batutumonga where we would stay the night. On the way up, Johny took us to one of the most beautiful scenery we had ever seen.

Johny is a very experienced local guide, who really follows your wishes. His English is good. He definitely made our trip!
Johny can be reached via:
0062 0821 9501 6444 or johnyburun@gmail.com