“See the actual Toraja Village where people live in”
Review of Toraja Village

Toraja Village
Ranked #4 of 17 things to do in Rantepao
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 11 November 2017

The Toraja Village is a lot better than Kate Kesu, here we actually see people live in the Toraja house and a lively village, children playing, people do their daily activity. The minus is that it's a bit far from the city and transportation may not be easy. Highly recommended.

All reviews
"funeral ceremony"
"local guide"
"unique culture"
in 3 reviews
"speak english very well"
"his knowledge"
"tourists"
"tradition"
"mail"

Reviewed 28 October 2017

My partner and I did a 4 Day tour with local-guides dot org in October. It was absolutely great!

We had a very enthusiastic Toraja guide who spoke English very well and knew everything about both the culture, each corner of all the villages and breath-taking trekking routes through the rice fields and the beautiful mountains! I found local-guides accidentally as I already did a magnificent orangutan tour with them in Tanjung Puting and they informed me that they recently started providing affordable tours in Tana Toraja as well.

Initially, I considered not to book anything in advance and find a guide upon arrival myself, but I am very glad I didn’t do so because then we had to spend quite some valuable time finding a good guide and I cannot imagine he would be better or even cheaper (I paid 1 mln IDR per day for guide + diver + AC car) than what we got from local-guides. I highly recommend them not only because of the amazing tour they provided, but also because they appear very fair with their pricing (they also have a good airport pickup service) and patiently answered all my questions via e-mail in advance.

I recommend to spend at least 3 days in Tana Toraja to see the culture (1 Day), attend a ceremony (1 Day) and hike through the beautiful mountains and valleys (1 Day). It would be a pity to miss out the rich diversity of the area when you did so much effort to get there.

1  Thank Melly4ever
Reviewed 23 October 2017

Last May, we did a 2 day hiking trip through the Toraja area with our guide Imanuel Timbang. Great experience for us, Imanuel was very friendly and was very knowledgeble about the culture and way of living. Thanks Imanuel!

Reviewed 4 September 2017 via mobile

One of the place we Can see about culture, Natur and Future, maybe the other one have written the same opinoin but. Toraja Is Never Stop become Conversation.

See more reviews
Reviewed 11 August 2017

Tana Toraja was my first solo backpacking trip in life that I did in 2011, I only had a short time to travel this place. I arrived at Rante Pao in the morning after a one night sleep in a bus from Makassar the night before. I didn’t really have any idea how to travel around. At my first step out of a bus, a motorcycle taxi (ojek) came over me. I negotiated with him and hired him for one day to travel around Toraja, I think is was around 100.000 rupiah.

My first destination around was the northern hills around, where you could find the Bori Kalimbuang menhir, some kind of a round ceremonial yad with menhir tower like Stonehenge.

Later on that day in continued my trip to the famous Kete Kesu village, the Londa grave cave dan finally the cliff gradeyard of Lemo. I wasn’t on the best physic that time because of the one night sleep at the bus the night before; I finally looked for a hotel to get some short rest, because on the night I have to continue back to Makassar with the same bus.

Rantepao is a very peaceful area with surrounding karst landscape and paddy fields along the streams of Sadan river. If I had more time I would’ve add the Lokomata giant grave in the northern hills, and the baby tree grave in Kambira. And of course hunting the famous Rambu Solo cemetery ceremony.

My advice is you better give more time to explore, arrange a better way to get there (needs 10 hours bus from Makassar), and check first for schedules of the great ceremony.

Must visit place around here: Kete Kesu village, Lemo cliff grave, Londa cave grave, Bori Kalimbuang menhir, Lokomata, Kambira tree grave.