We spent a week at Fregate Island in February with our son and daughter, ages 9 and 6. It was the most amazing experience for all of us. It really is your own private island, exactly the way that nature intended it to be experienced.
For the week we were there, the weather was a bit unusual for February - there was fairly high surf - and some of the beaches were closed. Our kids are good swimmers and enjoyed getting pummeled in the larger waves and trying to swim out past the break. If you want consistent flat water, this is not the place to go.
We were very fortunate that Juliette at Mr. and Mrs. Smith had arranged for us to be in Villa 3. It was perfect for our family of four. A fantastic master bedroom, dining area and living room on one level, and a second bedroom with bathroom on a lower level for the kids. They thought it was fantastic, like they had their own house. I would not recommend that Villa for children any younger, or non swimmers, as the room opens onto the pool area.
As far as our stay on the island, we took advantage of just about everything we could, and I have to say the entire Fregate team is absolutely amazing. Nothing we asked for was too much, and after we had been there a few days and we got to know them and they got to know us, some of the recommendations and arrangements they made for us were just incredible. From our beachside dinner to having the chef prepare raviolis for our son at an island lookout on a golf cart stove - absolutely amazing. The motto of the island is anything, anywhere, anytime and they certainly lived up to it. The food was absolutely incredible. Every meal was beautifully presented and incredibly well prepared. Notwithstanding the gourmet quality of the meals, they were always ready to prepare something simple and vegetarian for my wife as well as the usual child friendly meals.
Before our trip, we read some of the reviews on this site that talked about millipedes in the rooms and other issues with "nature". I have to say, once you see the situation on the island, this should be the least of your concerns. The rooms are meticulously cleaned, twice daily, and while the millipedes can be large, they are completely harmless. After we did a tour with the island ecologist and the kids held the millipedes for themselves, it was a complete non-issue. The birds (and the lizards) are everywhere and they join you for breakfast and lunch, but that is part of what makes this island and the entire experience so unique.
This is not a Four Seasons and it doesn't and shouldn't try to be. It is an incredibly unique island in a very unique location in the world. We have been to a number of other 5*+ resorts, and always enjoyed ourselves, but this is truly a very special experience that (to date) beats all others.
If you do give Fregate a try, do it with an open mind (and wallet) and you will enjoy yourself in ways you never thought possible. If you are not comfortable in a natural environment or you feel you have to control every moment and make it work to your standards and expectations, this is not the experience for you. On the other hand, if you like unique experiences, extreme luxury and are willing to let the island try its magic on you, you will not be disappointed.
We are working on our return trip now!
Many thanks to Marc and the team for making our stay so enjoyable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fregate Island Private is a secluded paradise, 4 degrees south of the equator and 35 miles off Seychelles' Mahe coast. Guests will discover the castaway idyll of their dreams amidst relaxed luxury. Fregate Island Private boasts 16 luxurious Villas, each perched over rocks looking towards the sea, and naturally isolated from one another. Interior architecture is simple and elegant, faithfully reflecting a colonial architectural heritage. The master bedroom, the dining and living rooms have heavenly views. Outside, an infinity pool seemingly spills into the exotic blue of the Indian Ocean. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Ebookers, TripOnline SA and Booking.com so you can book your Fregate Island Private reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fregate Island Private Hotel Frigate Island
- Fregate Island Private Frigate
- Fregate Island Private Seychelles