All reviews city manager gondar ethiopia guide
Reviewed 20 May 2018

This is a very late review on Taye Belay hotel in Gondar, Ethiopia. I decided to write this review to warn fellow travellers to be very careful when booking this hotel, especially during Timket. The manager of this hotel will cancel your booking, if you do not agree to pay the highly increased rate nearer the date of your arrival. We were booked to stay in this hotel for three nights during Timket 2018. We have a confirmed reservation in this hotel, which was booked and paid for (Approx, £70.00/night) in June, 2017 and a couple of weeks before we were due to fly to Ethiopia, in January, 2018, we received an email from the Manager to inform us that they will cancel our reservation if we do not agree to pay the increased rate of $150.00 per night. We declined, and advised the OTA about this. Their intervention had a negative result, so we decided to cancel our reservation which caused a lot of trouble and expense on our part. This left a bitter taste in our mouths and decided to cancel our trip to Gondar, altogether. Beware in booking this hotel.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 January 2018

I booked two and a half month in advance, and two weeks before the intended arrival at timkat, a very busy time, the hotel cancelled, allegedly due to accidental overbooking.
With a timespan of two month between booking and cancellation it seems obvious that new bookings must have happened between mine and the cancellation.
Apparently, along the way it became more convenient for the hotel to cancel on me than to honour my reservation. Wonder how often that happens..

Date of stay: January 2018
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 13 November 2017 via mobile

I spent one night here, and it was beyond awful. Apparently this hotel has 2 different classes of rooms. The 'good' rooms facing the town (and the front entrance side), and the 'awful' rooms (facing the rear entrance side). I had the misfortune of getting one of the awful rooms. My room was really just a glorified closet. It was cramped, hot and seemed to have the same furniture as the day the hotel opened decades ago. That alone would have been forgivable. What is not is when the bed is rock hard, and is so old and worn down that you can see and feel all the bed springs. Sleeping on the ground outside may have been more comfortable than this 30+ year old bed. Also, the water pressure is so poor that the toilet needed about 20 minutes to refill between flushes. And the sink leaked water all over the floor (so much that there was a dinner plate sized puddle after washing my hands a single time). Additionally, the place is incredibly noisy. Everything happening in the hall way can be clearly heard in my room. At random times during the night a mysterious beeping/squeaking noise was originating from the room next to mine.
The wifi did work ok, and the breakfast buffet was ok, but nothing special. I would not stay here again.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank netllama
Reviewed 27 April 2017

Stayed at the Taye Belay while visiting Gondar. The rooms are spacious with reliable hot water although the showers have seen better days. Spectacular views from the font rooms. The breakfasts are reasonable. Didn't eat here in the evening.

Room tip: Choose a front room
Date of stay: March 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

We had a stop over at Taye for the half day city tour. It was a great hotel. Extra beds were arranged for my children.

The meal at the restaurant is great. There were lots of mosquitoes, hence I had to request for an insecticides.

Date of stay: April 2017