See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 11 May 2017

I had a very odd experience at the Lammergeyer when I stayed there in April 2017 for one night before trecking in Simien mountains. Back from the restaurant around 10.30 pm, I wanted to get in my room and the key just broke in the lock. The astonishing thing was that nobody felt reponsible for this stupid incident, no, I was accused of having broken the key deliberately... The manager of the place got mad because the gardians had to wake him up. Finally, at 1.30 pm I had another room (still not able to get into mine and to the toothbrush) to have a few hours of sleep. Neither the owner, neither the manager of the place showed some way of understanding. Graciously, they didn't charged me the other room. It was a horrible experience !
However, the restaurant is really nice, pretty garden and lovely personnel, and food is ok.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with view to the garden restaurant
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Regina B
Reviewed 9 March 2017

Stayed here at the end of the trip (2 nights) and then an extra night before coming home - the hotel is outside of town which makes it a bit more peaceful, but tuk tuks are available at a negotiated prices and can take 2 o 3 people and local buses (minivans can be used 2 or 3 birrs)

The rooms are clean and showers and toilets that work - was in A block for 2 nights and be warned that the water pump gets turned off at night and goes on again between 6 and 7 am - only a problem is you have a weak bladder or wish to have an early shower.

The food was good and service excellent - staff are friendly

The hotel does offer a complimentary taxi service to the airport at Gondar which is 14 km away - there was a problem with this despite being arranged in advance with some of our party - it either appeared late or not at all (Sat & Sun appeared to be a private car rather than the hotel blue minibus with the name on it

I used this with a friend on the Monday and used the blue minibus and the driver I am sure took the long way round despite being told it was a shorter way, and then the guy was constantly on his mobile phone and I had to ask him not to use it and concentrate on his driving this only lasted a few minutes.

A couple of things that would improve efficiency from a management point of view are the following
1) Laundry list with charges (displayed in rooms) - a list that people can hand in with their items - people did seem to be charged varying amounts
2) welcome folder in rooms with laundry list, check out times etc., bar and restaurant prices
3) safe place for luggage if you are staying after check out time
4) with pre-arranged transfer to the airport that this actually turns up at the time stated i.e. 0700 am means 0700 and not 0740 as in one case and this goes the direct route

If you are having business and tourists timings are important and this will lead to a good customer service and the things mentioned about will lead to an improved service

Room Tip: Have a room at the back if you want a good nights sleep - rooms at front face the main road
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ann L
Reviewed 5 March 2017 via mobile

Stayed here for three nights and enjoyed my stay. The rooms are pretty good and the bathroom acceptable with nice shower and toilet that works.

The level of service is excellent and the food in the restaurant very good.

It's a bit of a way outside the centre but the tuk tuks are cheap and easy to get into town.

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 December 2015 via mobile

So we were on a NGO project based at Gonder. The staff at the Lammergeyer couldn't have been more friendly. The food was great, especially breakfast porridge, as were the cold Dashen beers. It's Ethiopia, so don't expect Savoy standards but good nonetheless. Recommended!

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2015

This wasn't our first choice, but the other places we wanted to stay in Gonder were booked. The hotel was OK, relatively clean, not fancy at all, but after some machinations and calling the guy for help a few times, we were able to get hot water for the shower and it was all fine. Not a place I'd want to hang out and read and chill out in, but totally acceptable as just a decent bed to sleep on.

There were a bunch of bugs inside the mosquito net hanging above the bed, like little beetle guys. I tried shaking them out and they didn't all get out, plus there was a tear in it, so I asked for a new net. The guy gave it to me but it was hard to hook up, and basically was a comedy of errors trying to get it up there vs. a well oiled machine. It freaked me out re: cleanliness, but realistically, the net was near a lightbulb, light draws bugs, and they probably just got in through the tear in the net.

We switched after one night, and with a little more advance planning were able to get a room at the Fasil Lodge. A little pricier but wayyy lovelier.

Room Tip: Check your mosquito net for tears; my friend got eaten alive by mosquitoes
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled with friends