“Good place to stay”
Review of Posada Don Carlos

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ciudad Bolivar
Posada Don Carlos
Reviewed 21 November 2010

Posada Don Carlos was a good place tot stay. It's nice located in the old center of Bolivar. The posada is very nice with a court yard and colonial rooms. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Posada Don Carlos

Reviewed 9 November 2010

I have seen the bad reviews on this website and can't understand them. 5 friends and I stayed here for 3 nights in total and had a great stay.
We stayed in hammocks,bunks and the aircon rooms all reasonably priced and no one had any complaints.
The food is cheap to buy and eating together with the other guests adds to the social atmosphere.
Paul the manager was extremely friendly and helpful and went out of his way to make us all feel welcome and looked after.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 November 2010

Clearly this place has had its critics in the past but my girlfriend and I went there last month because it does a good price for Angel Falls tours and were dleighted with our stay. The posada is under new management, run by a young chap named Alvaro who bent over backwards to meet our needs. He made us feel more like friends staying over than paying customers and was always on hand to give us useful advice and even phoned around some bus operators to try and get us the best deal on an overnight bus. Not to mention the fact that the place is located in an old colonial mansion full of antique german furniture which makes it feel like you´re staying in the home of an old lord. FRee internet, free mineral water, excellent kitchen facilities and sat right next to PLaza Bolivar in the old part of town which is incredibly picturesque. Definitely stay here.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RossYvonne
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We choose Posada Don Carlos because Lonely Planet recommended it strongly and we were right. It is a beautiful place where you can feel the South American atmosphere. It looks exactly as you can imagine colonial house - with patio, antique furniture and high ceilings. Even cats are there. Fortunately, the owner did not forget that we live in XXI century; there is also computer with Internet access, air condition (if you want), laundry and kitchen for public use. We've spent in Ciudad Bolivar the most romantic part of our journey to Venezuela, thanks to Orinoco River, local churros and Posada Don Carlos. To be honest there is only one disadvantage of this place - the manager Paul. He appears as mysterious, strange and little too curious man. Despite of that we strongly recommend Posada Don Carlos.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 August 2010

During my five months of traveling in South America, my stay at Don Carlos was by far the worst. Clothing was lost in the laundry, we had to ask twice for sheets for our dorm beds, and the service was absolutely horrible.

My travel partner and I checked in at 7 am in the morning after getting off a night bus from Santa Elena. After checking out a few tours to Angel Falls, we decided it was too expensive and wanted to leave on an overnight bus that night. When we decided we didn't want to stay the night, I asked Paul, the manager, if it was reasonable that we each paid half of the rate since we were only checked in for a few hours and did not use the beds or even have a room. He begrudgingly agreed but I thanked him anyways and we left for the bus station. After getting to the bus station we found out that we couldn't get on a bus that didn't arrive in the middle of the night so we decided to go back to the posada and leave the next morning. We let Paul know we were back for the night and we took the dorm beds we were originally supposed to have.

The next morning, we checked out and paid the second half of the nightly rate since we had indeed decided to stay the night. Paul tried to charge us each for an additional extra night because we had 'checked in twice.' When we didn't agree, he became enraged and locked us in between the two front gates when we tried to leave. He physically pushed me outside and shut the gate while demanding the extra money from my travel partner. When he refused, Paul shoved him against the wall and put his hands around his throat and threatened to call the police. We then tossed him more than enough money so he would let us leave; he then shoved us outside, didn't give us change, and yelled at us out the window.

I spoke to several other guests while we were there and they too had similar experiences/heated discussions with Paul. His behavior was extremely threatening and completely unprofessional. I HIGHLY RECOMMEND NOT STAYING HERE!!!

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank bri1063

Been to Posada Don Carlos? Share your experiences!