Posada Dona Carmen(Isla El Gran Roque)
US$264
  • Beachfront
Posada Acuario(Isla El Gran Roque)
US$194
  • Restaurant
Posada Bequeve(Isla El Gran Roque)
US$196
Free cancellation until 29/07
  • Restaurant
Villa Caracol(Isla El Gran Roque)
US$643
US$280
Priceline
  • Restaurant
Posada Arrecife(Isla El Gran Roque)
US$385
Orbitz.com
Free cancellation until 01/08
Posada Caracol(Isla El Gran Roque)
US$643
  • Beachfront
Posada El Pelicano(Isla El Gran Roque)
Posada Galapagos(Isla El Gran Roque)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsdomestic flightsoup or pastasmall airportfishbefore dinnertiny islandlos roquesfood was amazingmy girlfriendenricoboardexcursionscaracassnacksaccommodationsgodwishes
Reviewed 31 March 2017

Visited in 2014.

First of all, if you have even got this far as to look into Los Roques as a place to visit, I already know you are going to love it. It's not for beginner travelers, people who are fearful of the unknown or medically unstable. It requires multi-mode transportation to even arrive at the destination and you just have to trust that things are going to work out.

I began emailing with Andrea with questions about the hotel. He was very responsive and helped us schedule out domestic flights from Caracas to the Islands and our taxi rides between airports (small flight leaves from another small airport, not the int'l one). Part of the booking he had to refer to a domestic flight agent who was also fine to work with. At the time, our int'l flights from NY were the most expensive cost of the trip. Everything else (room, board and included amenities) cost about $50/day. Once we committed, we were so excited, mostly because we had NO idea what to expect.

We took our int'l flight, taxi to smaller airport, small plane to Gran Roque and finally arrived! It is such a tiny island, with a small airstrip and when we landed there was a little hut where you pay your fees into the Nat'l Park. Someone from the hotel was waiting for us and led us to a 5 min walk to the hotel. After all was said and done, I have trouble even calling it a hotel. It just felt like we were staying in someone's house like a guest. It was us and one other couple from Italy staying for the entire week we were there. The staff was so friendly, you get to know them by name and if you choose to - you get to know them as people, too.

Accommodations were simple: a room, a bed and a bathroom. Tight space but the only time spent in the room was to sleep. Bed is not luxurious so beware if you have back problems but if you do you probably aren't traveling like this in general anyway. Second floor open deck for "happy hour" every day before dinner is a good way to wind down after long hours in the sun. Community dining room, everyone eats dinner together. Breakfast is whatever time you wake up, and lunch is to take with you on your day trips. The building is generally clean, cute and quaint...I'm telling you just like someone's home.

Food was AMAZING!!!! We did the full board which included 3 meals. Breakfast was simple, a continental spread on the table and a choice of hot dish, eggs anyway you like. Lunch was my favorite because everyday they pay a go-lunch to take with you on excursions. Everything you need included in the cooler: plenty of water, drinks, snacks, a different cold lunch each day. Staff wheels the cooler to whichever boat you are taking so you don't even carry it. Dinner was remarkable. It felt like we were in a 5 star restaurant. Italian style with multiple courses. For me, I like to eat a lot and kept thinking I might want more soup or pasta or whatever was served, but by the end of all the courses i was always comfortably full, never still hungry or over stuffed. OMG everything was so super tasty, I'm remembering it all now!

The staff sets you up each day with your cooler for lunch, they bring you to which ever boat you will be taking for the day. Usually leaving around 0930/1000 and returning about 1600/1700 hours in the afternoon. There are islands included and ones you pay extra for, but the "extra" only came out to like $10pp for the day or something. An island for water sports, an island for snorkeling, an island of seclusion for sun bathing, you name it! They set you up with your cooler and bigass umbrella with plenty of coverage from the sun if you need/want it. Wherever you end up, you are committed for the day and cannot return whenever you want FYI. Thinking back we never realized how abandoned we were god forbid anything were to have happened, but we never felt scared we just enjoyed ourselves so much! The best couples trip I have ever had!!! And I am a well traveled globe trotter!

Of note, there were tons of stray dogs. We even started naming them because they hang out in the same spots every day. We loved "Doc" the name we gave the dog at the docks who we believed belongs or is being taken care of the person who was in charge and managing the boats. He was there every day greeting the tourists, making sure things were going the way they were supposed to be. However, we had one incident where my boyfriend got nipped. I was not there at the time so i didn't see it and don't know how it went down. But he said he was just sitting there and a dog randomly came over and bit his ankles (lol). Of course, the second I walk away...but it was not an issue, he was fine, not worried and we joked about it.

El Gran Roque is the only inhabited island and it's population is just one neighborhood. Probably takes a leisurely 30 min to walk around the entire island.There is a small hike to the top of the island which is like 15-30 min depending how fast you go. Not a big incline at all, but once you get to the top you can see everything and miles and miles of ocean! Spectacular!!!

Such a secluded place so again, you have to be street smart in getting there. Don't take any taxis you didn't pre-schedule, don't get drunk and wander around lost in Caracas. Once in Los Roques, you are safe as can be...unless you have some sort of medical problem i would be very concerned because you are miles and hours away from services. There is a clinic on island but if you needed anything beyond basic care I'd be worried.

I added my review of the general island because it's part of the hotel experience. We loved Posada Lagunita and have the best memories of the food, people and endless beaches! We always talk about going back.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dayna K
Reviewed 6 March 2017

For those who do not know yet I highly recommend Los Roques, the most beautiful island in the Caribbean !!! I spent one night in Caracas at the Eurobuilding hotel, super recommended.
Spacious room, comfortable bed, excellent restaurant and free shuttle to / from airport.

To book a hotel in Los Roques I sent to all and the best cost was Posada Lagunita which provides breakfast, cava, snack with drinks and dinner. We were warmly welcomed by the owner Enrico, Italian who passes a peace and helps you in everything that is necessary for you to enjoy to the maximum time in Los Roques. Including we also close our flights Caracas - Los Roques - Caracas, super recommend because any possible delay the company calls directly to the hotel to inform. Enrico is always smiling, helpful, it was one of the best receptions I've ever had.

We closed every day tours in hotel, super recommend Cesar and Felipe Zuluada. We made private tours and they took us beyond the traditional islands, other beautiful ones that were practically ours because there was no one else. They are extremely attentive and helpful.

On the first day Enrico said that if we wanted more food in cava, we would just say that there was no problem and it was done. At dinner the food was beyond wonderful, super abundant: starter, first course, second course and dessert. My friend doesn’t eat meat and every day Enrico was concerned to provide him with special meals.

The location is great, next to the most famous nightclub on the island called Galapagos and a few meters from PADI 5 Star for divers.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank carol_ramires
Reviewed 12 October 2016 via mobile

We stayed in the Lagunita from October 7th until the 11th and they totally exceeded our expectations.
Thanks to Andrea and his staff for making us feel like home and for accommodating all of our requests.
The posada was always clean and tidy and the food was excellent!

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 March 2016

Lagunita is an efficiently run friendly posada where the staff went out of there way to ensure we enjoyed our stay . Whatever you wanted to do there was always good advice and help making arrangements . Communal meals were always tasty with dinners relying heavily on locally caught delicious fish and considerable effort given to presentation .
There was wifi in the dining area .
I would stay there again .

Room Tip: Los Roques was not a noisy place
  • Stayed: March 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 February 2016 via mobile

I spent 7 days in Los Roques with my girlfriend during the carnival holidays and it was amazing. Words cannot describe how beautiful the island is. The best beaches I've ever seen in my life.

When we arrived, 9ish in the morning, Enrico, the manager, sent us to our room to relax a bit and arranged a quick breakfast for us before the boat ride to Mandrisqui, a island that was included on the package we bought.
The room number 1 was just fine. We wasn't expecting anything special and we found it super ok. Very small but cozy. The shower was cold and the water pressure was very low. Also, expect some bad smelling bathroom due to the salt water used on the toilet.
The AC worked very well and they also have satellite tv with loads of channels.

All the meals were served in a family-style long table with all the guests together, which was very nice. The food is great. Ivan, the chef, did incredible dishes while our stay. Enrico, Roxy, Elia, Angel and the girls from the kitchen were also amazing and very helpful.

The food inside the "cava" wasn't special, but we were more interested in snorkelling and relaxing than anything else. Also, we had some incredibly cheap lagostas in Cayo Pirata and Carnereros. Beer was charged apart.

Andrea, the owner, does not live there, but arranged everything for us before we arrived. He also gave us tips about everything we asked for.

I'd definitely come back to Lagunitas. Loved our stay.
Thanks everyone!