“Absolutely fantastic!”
Review of Posada Movida

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Isla El Gran Roque
Posada Movida
Reviewed 11 April 2017

My brother and I stayed at Posada Movida for 7 nights and 7 days of fly fishing - we had a fantastic experience. We are from the US and travel to Venezuela can be challenging, especially for people who are not fluent in Spanish. Mario, the owner, made sure from the first email that we would have a smooth an easy experience getting to the Posada. He included someone who met us at the airport, Fernando, for a small fee. Fernando was GREAT! He made sure we checked in at the airport hotel overnight, then picked us up in the morning and got us on the flight to the island. Once we arrive, Alejandro, Mario's primary caretaker at the posada, greeted us and had us on our way to fish for the day.

Each day Alejandro made sure we had breakfast ready at 7 am and lunch packed for fishing at 7:30. Dinner was fantastic as well, though we chose to eat outside the posada several times for variety. Every day were asked what we needed, how the food was, and if there were any special requests.

Overall our expectations were more than exceeded. Without a doubt I will return to Posada Movida. Mario has created one of the best experiences on the island. The other guests there at the same time felt the same way. If there were a 6th star, I would give it!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends

Reviewed 22 March 2017

I recently returned from a month long visit to Venezuela where the primary purpose was a trek to Roraima (amazing!!). After the trek, I made a 4 day trip to Los Roques, staying at Posada Movida prior to returning to Canada.

There is no point where I can criticize my experience at the Posada. To list just a few of the highlights:
* When I booked, Mario, the owner, promptly answered all my emails and assisted me with arranging my flight from Caracas to Los Roques, making travel to the island painless and easy (in the current state of affairs, not an easy thing to do in Venezuela, so this is more significant than it seems).
* On arrival at Los Roques, I was met at the plane by Alejandro who escorted me through the payment of the park entry pass and brought me to the Posada. When I left, I was also accompanied to the flight, once the Posada had ensured that it was leaving on time (a rare occurrence for domestic flights in Venezuela as I found on my travels through the country). A small thing, but a nice and welcome touch
* Throughout my stay, Alejandro provided great assistance to me and all the other guests, helping with booking of trips (fishing, kite surfing and diving) all while being an excellent host.
* The staff were all excellent as were the meals (including the lunches and drinks provided when out for the day).
* The Posada is not huge, I think the capacity totals 6 rooms plus the owners suite that is rented out when Mario isn't there. The size made it comfortable, but with enough room that you could be as sociable or private as you wanted. It was kept spotless and my room was very comfortable.
* Wifi was good & always available. While I disconnect when travelling, it was nice to be able to access email while there to keep up with family at home.
* The Posada has its own boat used to access out islands for day trips. The day I took the boat, it was very rough on the return trip as winds were unseasonably high and had come up rapidly since we had been dropped off. As a boater myself, I was impressed by how well the captain handled the conditions, which were tricky due to a cross swell and shallow water. As a measure of his capability, I don't think any of my fellow passengers knew how much skill was involved with getting us back to dock without any "exciting" moments beyond some spray.
* Los Roques was clean and quiet. There was no litter anywhere and the streets (all sand) were swept daily, making everything quite tidy and looking good. At night there were no loud bars or other noises to disturb the peace and quiet

As for Los Roques as a destination, it was excellent. The island, Gran Roque, is small and has retained its fishing village charm with no over the top tourist places that have appeared in so many Caribbean locations over the past 20 years. Most visitors to the island appeared to be Venezualan, but there were a large number of (mostly) Europeans, My 8 fellow Posada guests were a German and 3 Italian couples and made great company for my stay

I was on Los Roques for the diving. I started diving in 1980 and at the time, there were 3 "must do" dive locations globally - The Red Sea, Truk Lagoon and Bonaire/Los Roques. While it took me 37 years to tick off Los Roques, I can report that it lived up to expectations even though when I was there the weather was unseasonable with wind and rain that caused visibility to be only ~60 feet / 20 meters (rather than the normal 100+). The day of my arrival there was no diving at all because of the winds and poor visibility. My diving was all in the type of water I prefer - a coral wall from the surface to a sand bottom at 60-80 feet. Lots of life and colour on the wall and with a hard bottom, no risk of spending time too deep. I wore a 3mm shorty and was comfortable. The dive master (from ADC) was v professional and the rental equipment good quality and not "tired" as is often the case in many locations I have dived

I also took in a day of Kite Surfing, travelling to Saki Saki an island about 35 minutes from Gran Roque. It's basically a sand atoll with shallow sandy bottom on the lee side where the water stays flat even on windy days. On the day I was there the winds were 30 knots so it was a lot of fun and was made even better by there being a number of pros, including 2 former world freestyle champs, practising for an event that was to be held a couple of days later. I had more fun sitting under a tent with a beer and watching them than flogging the water myself.

I had hoped to fish while there as well, but with the high winds and reports from a fellow Posada guest that the conditions weren't great, decided to give it a miss. Too bad as I understand that the bone & tarpon fishing, when hot, is as good as it gets.

The other main attraction to Los Roques is sun bathing on one of the out islands. The Posada has its own boat that travels daily to one of the islands where it drops guests off with a tent and cooler of drinks, returning a few hours later. While sitting on a beach is not my thing, I went with the boat the day I arrived as I was too late to join a dive trip. After my trek, it was a nice way to spend a day, but one day was enough for me. Several of my fellow Posada guests though, thought it wonderful - especially as we were alone in a beautiful spot, something that is almost impossible in most beach destinations.

These days Venezuela is going through a very tough time, something I saw clearly as I travelled to and from Roraima. However, Los Roques seems to be in its own bubble and is much less affected than the rest of the country. As a tourist destination, it is definitely worth close consideration as it is much less developed than any other place I know of in the Caribbean and still is relatively easy to get to from Caracas. If you like laid back, comfortable locations and don't need 5 star luxury, I recommend it, and Posada Movida, highly.

Room Tip: All rooms are equivalent and good
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 March 2017

Stayed for a week at Posada Movida on a fishing trip to Los Roque, I wanted to post that this is a very well organised and very friendly, safe place to stay, with lovely rooms great food and very happy staff who cannot do enough for you. Between them they speak many languages and care for their guests in every way, we were four English blokes fishing but we were mixed with other couples on holiday who were Italian, Swiss/Italian and German (Hi Frank!)we all got on very well in a happy and relaxed atmosphere.
The seven rooms are very clean and tidy and perfect for the location with very good air conditioning also it's very quiet at night. The whole place is constantly kept clean and tidy and they coped with our many fishing rods etc every day. The Posada arranged the fishing guides and boats when we needed them and they have their own boat to run guests to many of the local islands as and when you want - perfect!
Los Roques is a wonderful and beautiful place with fantastic beaches lovely waters and excellent fishing, the town is very old world with no roads or Tarmac but no traffic either, sack trucks for transport and happy friendly people who are happy to see you enjoying their lovely place - you spend the whole time either walking in warm water or on sand - even Main Street is just sand. Their are many Posadas to stay at but from our experience Posada Movida is the perfect place to stay and enjoy this special place.
The troubles of Venezuela. Restrict the number of people travelling to Los Roques as you need to go through Caracas- but in a way that's agoda hinge as it is preserving this little piece of paradise.

Room Tip: Any room is perfect
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 12 January 2017

Simply perfect! I am extremely familiar with Los Roques and the multiple options for accommodations. Ive been going there for over 8 years and never experience such a level of attendance, service, quality of facilities, cleanness and high level of superior food. these guys will go out of their way to provide you with everything needed, not only within the posada but all over town (book amssages, find special products, hook you up with tour/fishing carters with the very best guy in town, Mistonlin). Haven traveled all over the the world, i can honestly say that the quality level of service is comparable with countries like USA, Mexico, Thailand, Dominican Republic, etc. Especially taking into account the current economical situation of Venezuela.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 April 2016 via mobile

I've had the pleasure to visit this paradise staying in this posada in March. Everything was simply perfect. The whole equipe is composed by beautiful persons, coordinated by alexis, who I wanna greet warmly. Few people I've met with a positive attitude like him. Cheers, mate! The attentions they gave us, the food, the services, the atmosphere, everything was super! Los roques is a paradise indeed, and I think staying this posada could be the best way to enjoy and appreciate it. I hope to come back soon. Carry on, being always exactly how you are!
Hasta pronto!!! :D