See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 26 December 2014

Cosy, small posada, only 6 rooms. Rooms basic, cleaned every day. Very good air con! Mattresses need updating, felt bit like sleeping in a hammock... Sonia the owner and Ricardo ever so friendly and helpful. Even with our limited Spanish and no Italian and their limited English we got on by very well. Lunch box to take with you to the nearby island had loads of snacks, lunch ( sandwich or salads, fresh fruit) and drinks. All the daily meals which Sonia cooked were so delicious, especially the fish. I had a dietary request, not a problem. Had the best chocolate brownie ever! Only complaint that the portions were too big... Sorry couldn't finish them! Una the dog and the cats lovely as well. Ricardo: keep on smiling! Tip to travellers : take sun cream and good mosquito repellant with you!!

• Stayed: October 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Liisalema
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Within an hour of landing on the island, we had dropped our bags off, changed, and landed on a gorgeous beach, with cooler and umbrella in hand. It was a whirlwind start to a magical stay.

Prior to arrival, we booked everything through Alessandro, and even though there were some hiccups with payment, there was nothing but accommodation, as would be the norm throughout the stay. Posada Macondo effuses a laidback vibe that was exactly what I wanted from a remote island vacation. And Ricardo was always at the ready to make sure we had everything in order. I couldn't have asked for better, more friendly service.

The rooms are definitely not luxurious, but having pretty powerful air-conditioning was a huge plus, and I had no real complaints on the accommodations themselves. Our Spanish was poor, but everyone was so chatty and friendly and always looking to make sure we had everything we needed just the same - whenever we asked a question, they dropped everything to make sure it was handled. And the food was delicious, especially dinner, which was just jaw-droppingly fantastic on numerous evenings. But I personally also really appreciated both the breakfast and lunch - these were simpler meals, but they fit the m.o. of the vacation for me, which was to just strip everything away and bask in the beauty of the islands.

In terms of trip-planning, Alessandro had tons of recommendations based on experience and what we were interested in, and I highly recommend waiting until you arrive at the island to make any plans for what islands to travel to, as fellow travelers are also rife with recommendations. The snorkeling is obviously a must, and there are a number of good spots to check out, but if you want to make the most of your time in Los Roque, just ask Alessandro and he can help you make the most of your stay!

One major tip for anyone traveling to Los Roques (as with anywhere in Venezuela): absolutely never ever exchange Bolivars at the official rate, but pay as often as you can in them. You should have no trouble changing on the sly at the domestic terminal before your flight to the island, and it makes a huge difference (at least 4-6X).

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 December 2013 via mobile

My girlfriend and I had a very pleasant stay in Macondo over our 4 nights in Los Roques.

In terms of the Posada, it was very clean, nicely decorated and situated conveniently on the island. The rooms are basic but comfortable and in keeping with island atmosphere. Well air conditioned which is very important and no issues with flies or bugs thankfully.

The staff were friendly and relaxed.
The service was very good although just short of excellent.

(It must be noted that my Spanish is very basic and as my girlfriend is a native Spanish speaker, she communicated to the staff on our behalf).

To elaborate on the service, I think it is nice to be asked if there is anything we needed or if we would like a drink while waiting for dinner etc.

However, when we did ask for anything our hosts obliged promptly.

This is a small niggle and perhaps I have become to accustomed to 5 star service in my own country and when traveling on business in Europe but so far as service in Venezuela goes... this was by far the best.

In terms of the food, breakfast was very basic, arepa (Venezuelan staple breakfast/lunch item), pancakes,cheese, ham, toast and condiments with tea or coffee.

The packed lunch supplied for the trips to the Islands was very hit and miss...

In comparison to what other Posadas received, I felt Macondo fell a little bit short.

We were given crisps past their sell by date on 3 of the 4 days and I couldn't eat the lunch provided on one of the days but that was a matter of my own taste rather than poor quality.(You can't please everyone all the time and I accept this!).

Dinner is where Macondo really excelled!
I don't say this lightly, but we had some of the best served fish dinners I have ever tasted anywhere on my travels.

The taste, quality and presentation was truly excellent, dinner gets 5/5 stars!!!

Dinner was quite an amazing leap in quality and presentation from the breakfast and lunch provided however.

It's a shame that the same effort wasn't afforded to breakfast and lunch, otherwise I would be obliged to give Macondo 5 stars for the food alone.

I would certainly recommend Macondo and would happily return, but there is room for improvement, especially around breakfast and the packed lunch.

Best wishes to the team at Macondo and thank you for making our stay enjoyable!

BTW - In terms of the island Los Roques, this island is simply paradise on earth.

Truly amazing natural beauty and a must see on land and underwater!

Tip - If you like snorkeling, I advise bringing your own equipment as the rental gear is between poor to average quality.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GW1981
Reviewed 29 May 2012

As a scuba diver I loved the islands - clear water and white sandy beaches. The posada itself is nice enough and the people were very friendly, but it is way too expensive and the food was nothing special, in spite of previous comments. As I discovered after I arrived on Gran Roque, there are much much cheaper options available near the little Bolivar Plaza. Over-rated and not for independent travellers or people on a tight budget.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Willy R
Reviewed 19 July 2011

Me and my husband stood at Posada Macondo for 1 week, and I can say it was a wonderful week. Alessandro is so kind and helpful! He was always asking if everything was ok, worried about every detail. Sonia is the best chef I've ever met! I don't think I will ever have best meals in my life! All the staff was very nice, the posada is very pleasant, clean and nice rooms...we will definetly come back and stay there again!

Room Tip: Just ask for a room with air conditioning (I don't now if all rooms have it)
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple