Visited Wasaga Beach, Ontario with my kids (5 and 7) on Aug 1 and Aug 3, 2008. I was pleasantly surprised when we drove up to the beach car parking at Beach #3. The water was cleaner than when my previous visit in 1995. It has improved alot.
Positive Side . .
1. Beach in located in Ontario! Nice. We can go swimming any time we want. Don't have to fly south to Cuba or Florida.
2. Only an hour and half drive from Toronto on a good day.
3. My kids and I loved it.
Needs improving . . .
1. Only 1 washroom, per beach, for thousands of visitors per day! Not cleaned regularly, although visitors pay a decent amount for parking and beach access.
2. My kids and I ended up getting skin rashes and itchy skin the day after. Although we showered when we got back from the beach. I still have the rashes.
3. Parking is very limited on weekends. Took us an hour an half to get in the parking lot. Mind you the parking was expensive. Around $14 weekdays and $17.50 weekends, per day.
4. Took us 3 and 1/2 hours on Sunday Aug 3 to reach Wasaga beach from Toronto. Highway 400 was very slow.
5. Took us 4 hours to get back to Toronto on Sunday Aug 3 evening. There are only 2 narrow exit roads out of the beach area. Namely Mosley Street.
6. No beach patrol on Beach # 3, for those who have kids. It seems that the local Govt. wants the money from you but aren't willing to re-invest the money on essentials.
7. No good hotels. Only motels, poorly constructed cottages and horrible little sheds called cabins. Compared to other countries like Cuba, Barbados, US, the accomodations are lacking and poor. Not much going on at night.
Overall . . .
I am happy that we have a beach resort close to Toronto. Will visit again on a Sunny day. Please voice your concerns with local authorities to improve situations. Request everyone to pick up all your litter and dispose properly to keep the beaches clean please. Thank you.