All reviews course taster menu the river caer beris manor beautiful grounds groupon deal dog friendly hotel suspension bridge four poster bed lovely hotel eggs benedict the ground floor bar menu full welsh lovely setting birthday treat evening meal lovely break
Reviewed 18 April 2015

This hotel is well worth a visit. A former manor house built in beautiful countryside in a bend of the River Irfon, the hotel is privately owned and has built a reputation for high quality service and cuisine. Arriving at the hotel you drive through the extensive grounds, by the river and there is plenty of car parking space.The reception staff were particularly welcoming and took a lot of trouble showing us round and explaining how everything worked. We were given two brochures on the hotel, one describing its history and the other walks in the grounds.
The room was very comfortable, the bed spacious, and the bathroom well appointed. Everything was spotlessly clean. In the evening we chose the house speciality, the seven course tasting menu. The choice of courses was imaginative and each course was beautifully prepared and presented. The wine list offers plenty of choice at reasonable prices. An excellent meal!
Overall we had an lovely time.

Room Tip: Many rooms offer views of the grounds
  • Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anthony G
Reviewed 15 April 2015

Our daughter had her wedding reception here 15 years ago, which was a great success. This time it was even better. The staff were very friendly & helpful and went out of their way to suggest walks. The food was still of a very high standard and everywhere had been re-decorated in the meantime.

the bedroom and everywhere else was vey clean and the grounds a delight. We had a groupon 2 night voucher with dinner on the first night, the meal was so good we booked another one for the following evening.

Our dog was made a fuss of and also enjoyed her stay.

For a restful enchanting stay it was perfect and close to lots of walks in the hills

1  Thank hensmanhouse
Reviewed 6 April 2015 via mobile

What a great stay! I booked this for my girlfriend's birthday and they pulled out all the stops!

Fresh beautiful flowers on arrival and a bottle of bubbly all nice and cold which was a welcome refreshment after our long journey!

The staff were amazing! Big shoutout to Luke and Amelia who were always friendly, helpful and with a smile on their face. Staff really make this hotel.

The grounds were beautiful and our room was comfortable. I enjoyed the slightly odd shape of it, but considering the age of the building it just added to the character of the place! Bed was so comfy and we slept really soundly!

Food was delicious, we enjoyed the tasting menu on the first night and a 3 course menu on the second. The conservatory was a lovely place to eat with views over the grounds, and the 1896 restaurant for its traditional feel. Breakfast was a welcome start to the day with myself and my other half exploring the Welsh countryside.

Top marks for a hotel that has a real country feel about it. Wifi was a bit flaky, but we are in the country! We shouldn't always be on Facebook!

Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher F
Reviewed 1 April 2015

We went for a 2 night package with 7 course taster 1st eve and 3 course meal 2nd eve. Very impressed, super staff, and very nice food. Loved the breakfast and 7 course taster, wasnt quite so impressed with my duck main course on 2nd night and hubbys steak not cooked as requested, but overall a good standard. Very dog friendly even tables in conservatory where you can eat with your dog there and we were allowed to leave our dog in our room whilst we ate if we prefered. Room was fine, clean and bright with a comfortable bed. Lovely gardens. Very attentive staff drinks etc served in the lounge at any time. Did get a couple of things wrong on our bill as were charged for 2 things we diidnt have but it was soon rectified. All in all a very good experience

1  Thank KizzyHarvey
Reviewed 1 April 2015

We were staying here having won a competition for a 2 night stay including dinner on the first night. The drive up to the house is lovely and the hotel itself very pretty. The staff were friendly and welcoming and we were given the Swansea Suite, consisting of a very large bedroom with four poster bed, a nice lounge leading onto a large well equipped bathroom. The hotel was lovely and warm when we checked in at 4 pm. Our room overlooked the beautiful gardens and Irfon river, a wonderful view. The bed was very large and very comfortable and there was plenty of storage..

We had drinks in the bar that evening before dinner. It is a nice comfortable room but has an unmanned bar, so it was hit and miss as to whether there was anyone there to serve us when we wanted a drink. We had dinner in the 1896 restaurant which is also a nice room and ordered steak and chips. Unfortunately, the steaks were very stringy, the chips very dry, though the serving staff were friendly.

As I am an early riser (between 5 and 6) I was delighted that we had a lounge in which I could read while my husband was still in bed. This would have been lovely except that the heating doesn't come on until 7 o clock and it was too cold for me to sit in the lounge. We also like an early breakfast (7.30 ish) but, because the heating wasn't on and the water took a very long time to heat up, we had to wait until after breakfast before we could shower and get ready to go out. After a lovely walk in the grounds we went in for breakfast. My husband had the full Welsh breakfast which he said was very nice. I had a tasty cheese omelette.

We decided to try the brasserie the following evening and the fish goujons were very nice with crispy batter and the chips much nicer that the previous night. We sat in the window with the lovely view, but found the tables a little close together for comfort.

The next morning my husband had been looking forward to the smoked haddock and, as I had had a nice cheese omelette the day before, I chose it again. When the breakfasts came we couldn't believe our eyes! My husband was served with 2 hard poached eggs and the piece of haddock was 2 inches square (i.e. a mouthful) so, as he has a large appetite it wasn't enough for him (it wouldn't even have been enough for me). My omelette, unlike the day before, was rubbery with hardly any cheese. A very disappointing breakfast experience.

Having said that, it was overall, a very nice stay.