15 people are viewing this hotel
Free cancellation until 20/05/21
Hotels.comUS$294
eDreamsUS$294
Lol.travelUS$487
All reviews lava rock palms grill pizza sonesta maho beach resort kids club ascot pub point restaurant mullet bay island view guest services chicken wings check in was quick and easy be patient terrace buffet nightly entertainment big shout bottle of champagne
Selected filters
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

St. Maarten is such a beautiful island. And this resort sits 5 mins from the airport. The famous attraction is to walk to the little strip of beach and watch the planes take off and land. I'll start off with the bad. My first issue was my travel agent emailed asked about vegan options. No one answered. 2nd issue when I arrived they only had be booked for 1 night. My reservation was for 4 nights. I asked for a king size bed. I got 2 beds. Not an issue. According to reviews upon arrival you receive a glass of champagne. I got nothing. I asked for a ocean view. I was on the 7th floor with more of a pool/ocean view. There were suppose to be bottles in my room. I had nothing. Not that I was going to drink it all. Dapheny checked me in but never informed me of the restaurants when asked. But I'll assume it was because she was trying to get my reservation correct. I never knew there was an adult side and a family side. Family only had access to limited restaurants.
The good: I did eat at the buffet and On my the waitress Sharon was at breakfast and lunch. Amazing. She is the best. And Willie at night was sooo nice..Jane was nice but seemed to concentrate on others. On my last day I went to the front desk to confirm the covid testing. The ladies at the desk Anna and Taria or tierra or tiarra..so sorry for I forgot her name. But were super nice. They asked I told them. They made it better for me. Tierra got me a glass of champagne and even went as far as to get me a reservation at Azul. Azul is the restaurant for the adults only side. But it was the restaurant was so busy it took extra long to get food. I think her name was Sasha. Not sure. The chef did come around and I asked about vegan meals he said they are putting vegan friendly items on the menu. I appreciate the effort. I loved the resort except for the group that put there signs on about 20 chairs near the pool. The best spots. Raul the bell guy is very nice. He was the second person I met. If you are looking for entertainment it's only in the day or some night from 9:30-11. The casino bar stays open until 12. But there's not club for you to hang out.. if you're looking to hang out at the beach you have to go down the road to mullet Beach. The beach at this resort to too close to the airport to sit beach chairs althought you can relax if you find a spot but everyone is trying to catch a good pic of the airplanes coming in.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Nadeige Martelly, Owner at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear Tash718

Thank you for taking the time to submit your rating and review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We appreciate feedback like this so that we can learn from your experience and apply them toward improvements. We will be sure to let our standout staff Raul, Daphney, Sharon, Willie, Jane, Anna, Tiarra, and Sasha know of the mentions.

Should you have additional feedback, please don't hesitate to contact our guest relations manager Ms. Eloy at aeloy@sonestastmaarten.com.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

First, I want to express how nice the staff at Maho resort was this past week and how clean and COVID compliant the location was. However, the resort appear to be terribly understaffed and under trained.

We didn't go into this with blinders as we were aware of the COVID limitations and not all restaurants being open etc. However, to pay an all inclusive price for what we received isn't right either. Our experience was so bad it became comical when the next event occurred. If you didn't LOL your would cry.

We stayed at Maho Beach 4/2-4/10/2021 are were very disappointed in the overall service. This resort is not up to the Sonesta standard we are accustomed to. Honestly, it seemed that the staff was more attentive to the cruise ship staff that was staying in the hotel on quarantine prior to boarding their ship. A fact that everyone seemed to be trying to hide. The food, security and staffing were all focused on floor 6 and 7.

First, we paid for an upgraded garden view for both rooms and instead had a view of the top of the building facing the street and casino (not even grass in sight).

The more disappointed issue is the $120 per room credit (we had 2 rooms and 4 tests) that was provided to offset return COVID testing that we were told was not eligible to be used against our return COVID testing. We also have a copy of the bills we received from COVID testing to enter the island and were not allowed to use that to offset the return COVID testing cost either. We have documentation, that we can provide, that this is stated as a use for the credit on the website. In addition, upon returning home I see the charge incurred for this service is to Sonesta not the medical facility as we were told.

We were told by the front desk we could use our credit to offset the spa, bottles of wine or at the gift shop. First the spa was booked solid all week, second the service was so slow and the food so bad that we went offsite numerous times for meals, and lastly the gift shop was picked clean and the shelfs empty from others that appear to be in the same predicament (have pictures of this as well). There were plenty of toiletries or sunscreen if you wanted to $250 worth.

A few other issues:

- Upon check-in we were told there was no reservation on file. I knew this not to be true as I called the day before to confirm that we would have two beds and a connecting room for our children. After becoming a little upset while a frantic 20 minute computer search took place for our room our info was found in two envelopes in a basket not two feet away from where the staff member was standing.

-Mutiple incorrect answers at the front desk (schedule you COVID return test Wed, then it was Thurs, you need this form, no you need another form, "who told you that")

- Both times we ate at The Point we sat for an extended length of time without food while our kids melted. Once without bread, water or drink service for 45 minutes while our kids played games on their phone. It took another 45 minutes for the food after ordering. The food was less than what we expected. The Fruitt Del Mar had no seafood and that is the main portion of the dish. It seemed that food supply was low and often running out.

- At the Point we were told there was no Creme Burlee as a cart full of it when by to the kitchen. To which our kids saw it and pointed it out and ran after the cart.

-The pool bar seems to run out of everything including guava berry liquor. Since everyone wants the guava berry, a island specialty, this was quite disappointing. There were at least a few bottles of it in the gift shop and the liquor store across the street. We purchased our own.

-At the ocean terrace they ran out of any and all hot sauce or sauce in general to flavor the food. We went across the street and purchased our own. We had to bring our own water bottles to eat because you were lucky to get water prior to finishing your lunch let alone a drink.

-The hot water was off and on and sometimes the water in our rooms didn't work at all. When it did you had to jump in and out as it changed from boiling or freezing and back again every 30 seconds.

-There were yellow cones and water leaking out the ceiling in the lobby in multiple locations.

-There was often only one elevator working. When it did it would skip 9, our floor, and just go to 10. Again this became a running joke in our party was to when and how we will get back to our floor.

-There was only one person covering bar service at the pool beside the bartender. She was working very hard but it is impossible to cover the pool and the area by the beach. I think we were delivered 1 drink the entire trip.

-Since the food service took so long we tried to order room service. We were told it wasn't available unless you were ill We were given a menu and hours at check in for room service. Why? Meanwhile we see loads of food being delivered, all to the cruise staff.

-We were charged $6 for 2 local calls, making reservations for restaunts because we couldn't continue to eat that sub-par food. The phone in our room states local calls are no charge. Our friends were charged for making a local call (we called the same place)

Dear 700diannab

Thank you for taking the time to submit your rating and review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. While we thank you for your understanding, and appreciate the recognition of our staff and our compliance with our PureCare sanitization measures, we regret to learn of your disappointment in the areas we missed the mark in --- in an unusual week of misoccurences. We appreciate feedback like this so that we can learn from your experience and apply them toward improvements, however, we encourage you to please contact our guest relations manager Ms. Eloy at aeloy@sonestastmaarten.com with the hopes to regain your faith in us again.

We hope we will be able to welcome you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The resort is nice but the service was just awful. Half the employees were nice, The other half acted like you were lucky they were even helping you and they were doing a favor for you. The entire time it felt like the staff was delivering the bare minimum. We were constantly chasing down waiters, spending extended time at the bars trying to get drinks or overall just making sure the “bare minimum service “ we were getting wouldn’t actually cause problems. Half the staff had snarky remarks when asked simple questions.

For example, the front desk girl stated our room was not ready despite us receiving a text message saying we could check in as early as 6 AM. When confronted with this evidence, she then said “well it doesn’t say your ROOM would be ready”. I told her a hotel that would advise us to check in hours early yet not have a room ready would be the dumbest thing I’ve ever experienced; definitely newsworthy to other guests who would not want to spend hours waiting in the lobby. We left our other hotel early specifically because of this text message and altered our trip plans as a result.

This disrespectful attitude was persistent among other employees, such as some waitstaff complaining while serving you food at the COVID altered buffet and purposely making you wait, despite you being the only person standing in front of them. I could list other stories as a result but you are here for the review as opposed to the more nuanced unpleasant interactions we had.

The hotel itself was nice, however our entire floor absolutely reeked of marijuana. Thankfully were only here for two nights and look led forward to leaving. Shout out to the employees at the poolside bar who did the best they could with trying to make guests happy with some of the handicaps coming their way. We paid less than normal yet still feel like we overpaid and would rather stay elsewhere. I wish them the best of luck and hope this review will help them right the ship, as we definitely will not be back. We got this hotel based upon COVID pricing and figured it would make our stay even more enjoyable because we get an even better value. Wow was this wrong.

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank MaximusMarine89

Dear MaximusMarine89

Thank you for taking the time to submit your rating and review regarding your stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. While we thank you for your complement regarding our resort, we regret to learn of your disappointment. We appreciate feedback like this so that we can learn from your experience and apply them toward improvements, however, we wish to understand more and encourage you to please contact our guest relations manager Ms. Eloy at aeloy@sonestastmaarten.com with the hopes to regain your faith in us again.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

First time visiting this resort very nice layout staff very friendly hotel rooms kept very clean breakfast lunch and dinner was very good we stayed five nights six daysPerfect location everything in walking distance
It is also kid friendly Highly recommend this place for couples and families we will definitely return again

Date of stay: April 2021
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear richarddF885AR

Thank you for taking the time to submit your excellent rating and review regarding your wonderful stay at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We appreciate the high recommendations and look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The most memorable part of my stay for 5 days was Alex Castillo-Reyes. I stayed in the butler suite and I have to say that Alex should definitely be promoted to a Butler his customer services was excellent. Alex saved the day for me every time, when I had it out with my actual Butler, he immediately took ownership for my concern and gave me a solution. The food at Azul restaurant was my preferred choice. I did wait for 2 hrs for my meal one night at the point restaurant not a good experience. The manager at Azul runs a tight ship her staff is amazing and the service was exceptional. We had lots of fun at the adult pool. Hotel included all food and drinks. The butler rooms had excellent view of the ocean. The rooms where clean and very comfortable. The front desk manager could have been more accommodating to his guest. Overall it’s a place I will definitely visit again. Great island to visit

Trip type: Travelled with friends

Dear gjiloveu

Thank you for taking the time to submit your excellent rating and review regarding your wonderful stay at Sonesta Ocean Point Resort. We want to clarify this for potential guests reading this review that the Butler service is only applicaable at the adults-only Sonesta Ocean Point Resort which also has access to the all the facilities at Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa. We appreciate the recognition of Alex's hard work and will be sure to let him know of the shoutout.

Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon at Sonesta Resorts Sint Maarten!