All reviews michelin star restaurant outdoor pool petit fours the main hotel steam room four poster bed sussex countryside venison birthday treat changing rooms amuse bouche standard room drawing room tasting menu relaxing break south downs cooked breakfast
Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

I booked today for a December stay on a no prepayment, free cancellation terms and cancelled after a couple of hours. Not only had the hotel immediately taken the full payment (£245 for one night three months in advance!), when I phoned them up after cancelling (as my bank account still showed the monies had not been refunded) they were super-rude and told me the re-fund will take up to 5 working days. And to call the Bank of England if I had any complaints!
Don't go.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sabrina S
Reviewed 9 September 2018

Spent a lovely 7 days at this beautiful Hotel/Spa. Our room in the relatively new Spa complex was spacious and comfortable. Provided easy access to the pool/spa complex and gave us a lovely outside sitting area directly from our room.
The Spa complex is located at the back of the main property which meant a walk to the dining room for breakfast etc. Ok if the weather is fine (which it was for us) but would be annoying if raining, however umbrella is provided.
Had dinner one evening in the Restaurant. Didn't feel the menu lived up to the standard expected at this type of establishment. Also ate in the Bar one evening. The food was acceptable, although our dessert order was forgotten.
In general we enjoyed our stay and would certainly consider staying again if visiting the area.

Room tip: Our room in the Spa complex was spacious and modern with an excellent bathroom. Opening doors to a shared rooftop balcony was a bonus.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Anne F
Reviewed 7 September 2018

We visited Ockenden Manor for tea for my wife's birthday on a rainy Sunday afternoon in late August. It was raining so I dropped my wife and her mother at the entrance before parking the car. They had been shown through to the bar area where we waited for over 20 minutes at a table full of dirty crockery. Despite asking at reception again for service, no-one came to take our order. Eventually, we decided to leave. I spoke to the lady at reception who seemed most inconvenienced at having to deal with customers.

This was an almost mirror image of an experience we had few years earlier when we were looking at Ockenden Manor as a wedding venue. We were left feeling slightly bemused in the same bar area with no refreshments until the wedding coordinator eventually arrived, 20 to 30 minutes late for her own appointment (she later showed us the honeymoon suite which was in the midst of having the previous occupants' sheets changed and strewn across the room. Needless to say we didn't choose to have our wedding at the venue).

As with our experience at dinner two weeks before (see my review of the restaurant) I raised this with the manager and was told that "I did talk to the staff member who was supposed to serve you and he mentioned he had several guests coming in at the same time and then he forgot about you at the bar".

Date of stay: August 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank MontyAndLeo
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Stopped here for a night after a business trip. The first room we stayed in had no hot water - mildly disappointing, but quickly rectified by the ever-helpful staff. The room we were moved to was absolutely delightful. It should be said here that all rooms are characterful - do not expect flawless finish, fixtures and fittings. It’s an old country house, which is something other reviewers should bear in mind. We then went to the spa, which is very modern and finished well, if a little small. Good pools and steam room. To dinner: the chefs prepared a special three course vegan menu for my partner and I, which was served and explained by the head of service. It was excellent. The wine list was also superb. Breakfast was a little disappointing, but that’s a small gripe. Other than that, four stars well earned for my experience and would recommend to others seeking a short spa break with very good food.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2018

We recently stayed at the Dormy house Spa which we compared this to and therefor we were slightly dissappointed.

Bar service was sloppy, we asked for fire to be lit - it wasn't.
Restaurant used to have a Michelin star apparently, but decor seemed a bit dated and we didn't think it was the place to have an evening meal with children so we ate in the bar one evening instead. Food was nice. We ate in Talbot pub on other two occasions which was great pub food and perfect for children.
Housekeeping didn't come one day... so no clean mugs/cups / teas etc were replenished.
Mini bar fridge only had water in there, no other drinks, There was a good selection of teas in room, but no classics like Camomile or Peppermint for the evening.
We were in the Jasper room and used the outside door opposite our room to exit the spa building... there was rubbish on the pathway including a bath (which had clearly been there a long time, cigarette buts etc.
Breakfast - there was only natural yogurt.. great for grown ups but children would have liked a flavoured one. We ordered salmon and scrambled eggs on first morning... eggs were overdone and rubbery so we had poached eggs next time. Orange Juice was lovely and fresh and Granola was delicious.
Had a reflexology treatment was was great.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay but for the price we paid and the 4 star rating we expected it to be a bit better.

Room tip: Spa Suites have access to semi private roof terrace areas
Date of stay: August 2018