“Average ”

Price range: US$1 - US$80
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 26 August 2017 via mobile

Have used this hotels several times in the last 20 years , previously was a Great Western now diffent chain Choaching Inns um .dining areas modernised lost some of its charm but catering for younger clinetel Rooms ok definetly need a refurb espically the mouldy bathroom yuk Location in MH is great but seems to be turning into pub with rooms

Three S, Manager at The Three Swans Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2017

Dear harbororian,

We have previously been part of 'Best Western' as a group and was rebranded a few years ago now into the Coaching Inn Group. This is a growing hotel brand with 13 properties around the country. We enjoyed a refurbishment a couple of years ago with our Eatery being totally changed, however have kept the quaint older feel of the main part of the coaching inn, at the front of the property in our Front and Fothergills Bar which has an older more authentic feel with older rooms holding their character.
I will speaking to our housekeeping manager about our rooms if you are describing them as 'mouldy' as this is unacceptable and will be looked into.

thank you once more for leaving us feedback on our Trip Advisor page.

thanks,

Josh Baines - Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2017 via mobile

I had not banked on the portion size for our lunch! The fish pieces were large, I was expecting 'Browns' size portion. There were plenty of homemade chips, very chunky. The tartar sauce was homemade but a little rustic/chunky for my liking. Mushy peas are a smallish portion, however big enough for me. They brought or ketchup and vinegar.

If you are hungry this is the place to go. Albeit £13 so not cheap for lunch, most dishes seem to be around this mark. I would go again however I would not eat a large breakfast beforehand! Sadly the greasy food didn't agree with me, tasted nice however went through me! Chips were ok but not made using good potatoes.

Staff were attentive and friendly. The pub restaurant was laid out nicely and it was clean. We got served quickly and drinks and food brought out as expected if not quickly.

Parking was difficult as the you had to park at an angle and therefore had to reverse over the raised edge and get car straight. I'm was glad I hadn't come in my husbands car as it has a low front. Who wants to scrape their car.

If all else fails you can always park in The Angel Car Park nearby where it cost £2 or so for fours.

1  Thank Chopalina

Dear Chopalina,

Thanks for leaving us such kind words about your recent lunch you had with us here at Three Swans MH. We take pride in the large quantities for our meals and we love how happy you are we are offering value for money in our restaurant.
It is great to read reviews commenting on both the food and the service of the team who looked after you on the day, so thank you for mentioning both in your feedback.

thank you once more for taking the time to leave us feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back once again, very soon.

thanks,

Josh Baines - Deputy General Manager

Reviewed 25 August 2017

Before writing this review I actually contacted this hotel/restaurant a few days before giving them the opportunity to make this better before I reviewed publicly. Unfortunately I had no response so here is my review.

My partner and I visited this restaurant on a very difficult day when I was dealing with the death of a close friend I was very upset and we just needed to eat.

We ordered some tapas and a couple of pizzas to take away.

Whilst we were eating it seemed apparent that there was some kind of an issue with our pizza toppings. I had literally only asked to take something off and add another topping which was parma ham. Whilst we were eating our tapas this seemed to become more of an issue and at one point there were three chefs and one member of restaurant staff gathered around talking about how I couldn't have the parma ham because it was more expensive than the topping that was taken off.

The staff member then came over and said everything was fine and they were ready when we were.

A couple of minutes later the chef walked past us still chuntering on about the parma ham and smirking.

When we collected the pizzas and got in the van I noticed that they hadn't bothered to give me what I asked for at all! I wasn't in a fit state to argue so I just took it as it was.

I have eaten at this restaurant on several occasions however I will not go back because of the sheer disregard to your customers, the lack of manors the unprofessional manor in which all of those individuals behaved on that day.

If you make a mistake talk to your customer don't try mislead them like their opinion doesn't matter. Be open and honest... I am very disappointed how I was treat over something so trivial!

2  Thank Charlom_12

Dear Charlom_12,

Firstly let me thank you for taking the time to leave us feedback about the problems you incurred at our restaurant at Three Swans MH.

We will be looking into this and speaking to the kitchen team and ensuring we direct our conversation to the chef who would have been involved to be able to see their side to guide and coach them in their attitude and the way they conduct themselves front of house and when dealing with guests. I am sorry to hear about your friend and apologise if we didn't make the situation better by the way we handled the situation our end.

I hope that we can welcome you back to show you how we have improved our service recently ensuring we offer the best service for our guests.

thanks, once more for your feedback.

Josh Baines - Deputy General Manager.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

I was recently one of a group of nine retired people who stayed at the Three Swans for two nights for a university reunion. We chose Market Harboroughl for its central location, and the hotel because it could accommodate us all for the required dates and because it looked pleasant as portrayed on its website. Our rooms varied in size and appointments but all were adequate. The new section of the hotel at the rear was also well turned out, with beautiful hanging baskets in the courtyard. But if you enter off the High Street via the old pub the first impression is of a seedy, run-down old place; very off-putting. This needs fixing.

On our first evening (Monday) we all booked for dinner. The meal was so chaotic that it was hilarious in a Fawlty Towers sort of way. We were told the pie of the day was fish pie, which a few of us were interested in, then when we came to order the waiter announced that there was only one fish pie available - literally THE pie of the day! So I changed to pan fried cod, only to be informed that it was in fact pan fried salmon, so I changed to smoked cod poached with a cheese crust, only to be told that THAT was also salmon. At this point we were all falling about laughing as I changed to lamb rump, after checking that that wasn't salmon instead. I was tempted to ask for a Waldorf salad to see what happened - 'sorry Sir but we're fresh out of Waldorfs. Would you like a British salmon salad instead?'Five minutes later the waiter returned full of apologies to say that there was only one lamb rump left, but two of us had ordered it, so could one please change. My wife sacrificed her lamb and had gammon steak and finally all was settled. But when the food started arriving, things continued to go wrong. Someone who had actually ordered salmon got a white fish that looked and tasted suspiciously like cod after all. The solitary fish pie was disappointingly dry and tasteless. One courageous soul who had ordered Thai green curry was given a bowl of courgette chunks in a tasteless grey/green sauce with a few bits of chicken (for which he had to pay extra!). Other things were late, or unappealing, though to be fair my lamb rump was OK. At this point we called for the manager and pointed out that things had gone well beyond a joke. He sort of apologised, though insisting that the fish served was salmon that had turned white because it had been poached (Basil Fawlty would have been proud of that one) and offered us free desserts and coffees. And to be fair the cheeseboard that several of us had as dessert was very good. But then at breakfast the following morning they ran out of - progressively - eggs, mushrooms and bread and we had to hang about for 10 minutes or so waiting for new supplies! Priceless!

Our dinner was on a Monday, and hotels can have problems running short of supplies over a busy weekend. But a professional establishment would anticipate this, and if the worst happened, be honest and adjust the menu. I mean, why nominate fish pie as pie of the day if you haven't got any? Overall, the management of catering is slack and incompetent, leaving overworked staff like our marvellous young waiter to cope with impossible situations. The coaching inn hotel chain talks a good game via its slick website and brochures, but in this instance fell hopelessly short of living up to its own hype. A change of management is badly needed. Until that happens, my advice is to stay well away.

4  Thank Geogger
Reviewed 22 August 2017

Hard to criticise this place because reception and most of the rest of the staff were pleasant and eager to help. But the place was rammed on the Saturday afternoon we arrived and it took ages to find a car parking space. Ditto a seat in the bar. So we ate and drank elsewhere. A leaking loo in our room led to an unsolicited reduction in our bill and the room itself was fine. However, at breakfast, they ran out of scrambled egg so I asked a waitress to bring some more. No, she said, breakfast was over. Then two minutes later one of her colleagues brough out a batch of freshly-fried eggs. When I asked him how he managed to do this when the breakfast was over I was told I shouldn't have been told that. But still no scrambled. Minor quibble, but poor internal comms.