“sunday lunch”

The Castle Inn & Sleeper
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Market Harborough
The Castle Inn & Sleeper
Reviewed 7 February 2016

arrived on the off chance for sunday lunch for four and found the place nearly empty, service was adequate , the food was very tasty but first look at the menu was a bit frightning as the first main course shown was £22.50 but as you look down the prices were more reasonable , good selection to suit everyone, from pizzas to roasts and usual pub favourites , perhaps would have had a dessert but the waiter took the menu away when we ordered main course,had a main course and coffee which worked out aprox £13.50

Room Tip: only went for a meal and this was very good and tasty food
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 January 2016 via mobile

I came here for a late dinner and was very impressed at the food. I had the pollo milanese and it was very generously size and tasted amazing! I am quite shocked to see there are so many bad reviews for this place. Service was fine and not too slow. After enjoying my meal I was prepared to give 5 stars HOWEVER I then made a visit to the ladies and was absolutely disgusted, very very dirty and not what you want to see after your dinner (although I'm sure previous guests are to blame, there is no excuse for not putting a bit of bleach in) so for that I can only give 4 stars!! I will return but avoid the toilets in future.

Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2015

Stayed here at the weekend, in fact we had 4 rooms and ate dinner in the restaurant. I think I can safely say it was the worst service from the rudest staff I have ever experienced in my life. The rooms were dirty with mould growing in the showers, dead spiders in the sink, hair on the floor and the shower also leaked. The staff were next to useless and incredibly rude. Although there was one very polite English lady who's was obviously management however she was eating her dinner and not serving. All the other staff had poorly spoken English and May not have been aware they were being rude but in my eyes this is no excuse. The food or at least the part of our order that did actually arrive was good, the bitter however was not!! Would rather sleep in my car than at this place again!!

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
2  Thank 41Saxon
Reviewed 4 February 2015

My wife and me went for lunch to the Castle Inn, because it had been recommended by a friend for its good and interesting Italian food. When we arrived around an hour after lunchtime the place was basically empty and that for a reason.
Overall, I was neither impressed with the aging, slightly untidy and featureless interiors of the Restaurant (Emptied Tomato tins of all sizes, shelved above the fireplace,-even the classic wine bottles in nets would have been more inviting), nor the service experienced and the food, as well. Service was "kind of friendly" but was not very attentive, at all and the waiter didn't even ask us once, whether we liked our Pizzas or not. Pizzas reasonably priced at 9.50 £, but given the slightly fatty and tasteless character of the dough, I would not recommend it. Overall, some room for improvement left.

Stayed: February 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paalzow
Reviewed 27 August 2014

My wife & I with 2 visiting guests booked The Castle for lunch at the weekend. When we arrived for our allocated time of 17:30, the place was extremely quiet & we were shown to a round table for 4. I opted to go to the bar & get some refreshments, a pint of lager, a glass of sparkling wine (which they do not sell, so had a glass of rose as a alternative), a pint of Guinness which required 3 attempts to get right & a Archers with coke. At this point the optic that housed the Archers played up & our pretty foreign barmaid/waitress called her colleague for assistance. After going back to my seat, the Archers eventually arrived some 5 minutes later after some running repairs to the optic. I'm not sure why I didn't receive a hand poured drink from the bottle instead of having to wait but hey ho! Our guest then realised that her glass containing the Archers had a rather suspicious smear that looked like blood on the outside of her glass. We called the aforementioned barmaid/waitress over & after a few murmours of discontent, the drink was replaced. We then proceeded to view the menu & our ever so keen barmaid/waitress approached us within seconds & asked if we were ready to order. We told her that no, we weren't ready yet & she made a hasty retreat, for about a minute before returning with the same question. We once again requested more time before eventually succumbing to her third rather avid request. The food all came out looking wonderful with a slight imbalance on portion sizes as 2 of us ordered the same dish with one being rather more laden that the other! After a couple of minutes & realising that our side dish of £3.50 hand cut chips had not arrived, I asked the now less than interested barmaid/waitress if indeed we were going to receive our side order? She then made her way into the kitchen, seemingly, high fiveing the chefs before returning to inform us that the chef had forgotten our side order & they would be ready in 4 minutes! The meal was adequate & fresh but in my view, slightly overpriced. We then requested the bill which arrived with another round of drinks that we hadn't even ordered. They belonged to the only other table that was inhabited in the whole restaurant which is an easy mistake to make!!! All-in-all, a pleasant but confusing experience borne through the inept service from our hostess. We may return soon & see if things have changed, hopefully for the better?

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends