“Following a cancelled visit, we could not miss the Roadmaker before we travel home.”
Review of The Roadmaker Inn

The Roadmaker Inn
Ranked #2 of 17 Restaurants in Newent
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 30 September 2017

We usually celebrate our anniversary at the Roadmaker Inn, but had to cancel this year due to ill health. We decided to spend our last night out there, and are so glad we did. We ate early and were the first diners there, and were greeted as friends by the self-assured and kindly staff. As usual, we ordered RaRa chicken as a starter and we both agree it is the nicest food that we have ever tasted. The chicken breast is marinated in cream cheese and cashew nut sauce and cooked in a tandoor oven. The chicken remains white with slightly singed edges, and is very tender. It is served with a small salad which compliments the chicken. We would both like to have RaRa chicken as a main course one day. Our main course was a chef special which we normally avoid. We ordered it hot and were not disappointed, and the kulfi was essential as a sweet. We have never failed to enjoy a meal at The Roadmaker Inn, and look forward to returning next year. Oddly enough the friend who told us about the Roadmaker has not eaten there, and I have told him what he is missing.

Reviewed 18 September 2017

Friendly Staff; clean premises; great food. Well worth a visit. Plenty of parking. No problem with dietary requirements (e.g. gluten-free)

Reviewed 16 September 2017

This is a difficult review to write so I will be honest and literal: Parking is good and the place is large so easy to just turn up. Bar lady was lovely and very good at her job watching the people and serving in turn. Bottled wine Merlot was awful, Cider was good. Average price at c £4.50 each drink. Starter, we had 4 poppadoms and condiments. Not enough of any pot of dip and odd tastes. onion salad was in vinegar, yogurt was a mango flavour not that my partner could taste it at all and red one was spicy and the best of the three but portions of this were for 2 poppadoms max. Starter came out in reasonable time and we had the mixed starter. It was a whopping £14 (all starters were c £5 veggie, 6-8 meat) the portion was small and quite frankly I thought for the money it was pretty poor. It was two pieces of lamb bitesize which was tough and no flavour, 2 chunks bitesize of chicken, 2 tiny wings in a marinade, a poussin (I think) cut in two - it was meant to be like a tandoor platter but it was very poorly executed. The meat was well cooked but it did lack depth of flavour. We then had main a nepalese lamb and a chefs special in lamb. I had nepalese lamb. I wanted mild the waiter advised medium as mild was more mild than korma. I took his advice. It had approx 7 pieces of lamb, some nice, some so chewy my jaw ached and the sauce was very very bland. My partner tried and thought the same. I am not sure what nepalese was meant to taste like but the short curled black hair I found in my dinner didn't enhance the taste or experience. My partners Chefs special had much more taste. The portion again in my mind was very small. Some meat was very chewy. We had a pilau rice to share and a keema nan - the keema nan was the best we had ever eaten and was clearly hand made and delicious. We didn't stop for another drink or a dessert as I couldn't bear it! It just was not very tasty. So we had two normal drinks, 4 poppadoms, starter for 2, 2 mains, 1 rice and 1 nan and it was £57!!!!! I really thought almost £30 per head for a two course meal with a drink was VERY VERY excessive especially for something not that great. Service was lovely, place is very happy but I would never eat here again. Sorry
PS the comment about acid - my partner was up all through the night when we got home with acid in his throat and couldn't sleep and had to keep drinking water as it was burning his mouth :-) Nice finish to our anniversary meal!

Reviewed 13 September 2017 via mobile

Came here with my partner on a whim and we were pleasantly surprised.

Dynamic menu, incredibly engaging staff and very good food.

We'll be back!

Reviewed 10 September 2017 via mobile

Easy turn off from main road, good parking and nicely decorated. We stopped off for Sunday lunch and my wife had prawn cocktail (generous portion nicely presented) and I had garlic mushrooms (well cooked in crispy breadcrumbs). Mains was fish and chips and vegetable curry (again very good) service was lovely and we may well go back holiday permitting to try the normal menu. Would recommend!