All reviewsthe pubsticky toffee puddinglamb shoulderstable roomstable blockresidents loungelovely feelmain buildingpoached eggsovernight staynice roomfull englishstayed here for one nightbreakfast roomfantastic staycar parkmoles
Reviewed 10 March 2018

Having stayed a night here last year and thoroughly enjoyed it, we were eager to return - this time for two nights. However it didn't live up to our expectations.
Our room was okay - a super-king sized bed with comfortable bedding - a sensible weight duvet rather than the heavy ones that hotels often use and soft feather pillows. A large well equipped bathroom albeit down 2 rather awkward steps. Dinner was not memorable - it was okay. Starters were expensive for the amount on the plate. We felt that the menu was very limited so much so that we would have difficulty finding something different to choose on our second evening.
The greatest disappointment came with breakfast. 6 months ago I wrote a review entitled 'Fantastic Breakfast'. Not so this time. There was no prepared fresh fruit, just a banana and apple in a bowl. Whilst there was a small pot of yogurt and blackberries, there were no other yogurts that could be poured over muesli as last time. The Eggs Benedict were passable but no toast was offered. When I asked for decaf coffee I was told they didn't have any. I settled for decaf tea and then was brought chamomile tea. When I queried this, the waitress said that's all they had - no apology or attempt to ask if I would like something else.
We decided that we did not want to stay the second night so left early. It's a shame - what was such a good place to stay last year has now been crossed off our list.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Booksearcher
Reviewed 26 February 2018

Recently taken here to dinner and had an awful meal. The ‘stew’ consisted of a thin soup-like juice with a few mushrooms and 4 very small dumplings! Very overpriced and pretentious. I asked for decaffinated coffee and the waitress was not sure if they had any. I specifically asked if it was not decaf then I did not want any. The coffee was caffeinated and kept me awake all night! Please just go back to providing good food for an honest price

Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 February 2018

When we lived near Farnham for three years, from 2001-4, we'd go to The Museum for a gourmet treat and the food really was to die for. We promised ourselves we'd go back there to stay one day, as the rooms looked so inviting - and 'one day' finally arrived last week. Now we find the food's decidedly average, I'm afraid - perhaps the price you pay for losing the personal investment and presence of a passionate owner/manager and becoming part of a chain - but 'epicurean', as per the Epicurean Club group to which The Museum now belongs, it's definitely not. Pity.

After we had enjoyed some spicy squid in batter with a chilli sauce as an 'amuse bouche' but actually a bar snack, I optimistically ordered The Museum Inn burger, because that's what I fancied and because if a restaurant can't get a simple burger right, it's probably going to struggle with anything more challenging, as proved to be the case on this occasion. My burger arrived in a ciabatta bun and had been cooked to death - dry and dark with not even a hint of rareness. Two days previously we had had lunch at the White Hart in Somerton and I had thoroughly enjoyed a steak roll in which the beef was meltingly tender - and pink. My Museum Inn thrice-cooked chips had also been cooked at least once too often. I don't care for soggy chips, but these were practically crisps. My wife ordered the pork belly dish and although the flavour was good, it was supposed to be served with 'champ', an Irish mashed potato and cabbage mix, this came as small croquette-like creations that were very dull. The strip of crackling on top of the pork tasted stale. We were so disappointed with the main courses we were not inclined to risk the puddings at £7-odd a pop. Yet we still talk about a raspberry pudding we had at The Museum, pre-2004, that had sent us into raptures - such was the kind of food you would enjoy there when it was still owned and run personally.

The former museum part of the premises is used for breakfast and being a tall tin shed it's clearly not easy to heat. It was freezing when we breakfasted there and my feet were turning to ice blocks by the time we'd finished. The menu boasted salami and smoked cheese, inter alia, which was actually very indifferent pink plastic salami and cheese that would have embarrassed a discount supermarket. There were some very uninteresting croissants (pastries, according to the menu) and the usual generic yoghurts and cereals. The full English was ok, but the only part of it that was piping hot was the inside of the sausage, whose tough skin suggested it had been cooked previously and microwaved. My wife said her scrambled eggs and smoked salmon with miniature capers were delicious, so that's something.

Our room (The Boot) was very comfortable. The bed was firm but yielding with a mattress topper that made one reluctant to get up. The bathroom was well equipped, albeit starting to look a little tired in places and with complimentary toiletries that my wife enjoyed greatly, although she struggled to get the rainfall showerhead to deliver a consistent flow and temperature. Fresh milk was brought to the room on arrival, which was appreciated. Dorset Tea company teabags and Grumpy Mule coffee, with a proper coffee maker (the latter unused by us), not instant coffee, were a nice touch. Our room was in the main building and rated 'Superior' so perhaps larger and better furnished than those in the outbuilding?

Free wi-fi required registration and therefore an invitation to be spammed by the Epicurean Club group. My tablet was happy with registration; my phone took numerous goes before it got connected; staff were unable to help with wi-fi problems. There is at least some local 4G coverage via EE if you're desperate, however. I'm a light sleeper, so water hissing through pipes all night was disturbing, not least because the location is otherwise so quiet. No staff are on the premises during the night - not a problem for us but fyi. There was no fridge to keep the milk fresh overnight, but we were able to keep it chilled on the windowsill as we were there in February.

The bar and restaurant areas are much as we remembered them from 2003. The Museum still functions as a local pub, we were glad to see, so drinkers in wellies and cheerful dogs abound, which is encouraging, at least.

The food at The Museum had acquired almost legendary status for us so we had really been looking forward to combining a great meal with some top notch accommodation. The accommodation proved to be entirely acceptable, but with signs that a little tlc may be in order. Chefs come and go, but if you're going to position yourself as a premium destination offering a truly epicurean experience, you'd better make sure you've got one of the very best available. The Museum Inn currently does not, QED.

Stayed: February 2018
2  Thank Peter G
Reviewed 15 February 2018

The bar is open throughout the day which gives ease of check in during the afternoon. Adequate car park. Good room, beds, pillows, nice furnishings and very good clean old fashioned bathroom with shower over bath. Good quality toiletries. Offered fresh milk for tea and coffee on arrival with proper coffee and percolator rather than instant which was well received by us. Both still and sparkling mineral water so another plus point for this. Room pleasantly warm, only minor niggle was a slightly noisy radiator.

Pleasant helpful staff. Free wifi not that good but this is a rural location.

Good breakfast, served until 1000, with nice menu choice and good quality local ingredients including organic eggs. Check out not till 11,

Overall good value stay off the beaten track.The pub is part of a smallish group, Epicurean, thus a managed establishment.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 December 2017

We were en route to friends on the coast in Dorset but decided to find somewhere to stop overnight. We found The Museum inn via Sawday’s website. We were welcomed in the bar and then shown to our room, The Chase. The room was spacious and elegantly decorated. We ate in the restaurant in the evening and had three tasty courses with some excellent wine to accompany the food. The bed, that night, was one of the most comfortable that we’ve slept in. Breakfast was also good and we were sorry to leave.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled as a couple