“Great food but room for improvement overall..”

Hix Oyster & Fish House
Reserve with OpenTable
Hix Oyster & Fish House is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #33 of 85 Restaurants in Lyme Regis
Price range: US$52 - US$78
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Hix Oyster & Fish House overlooks the harbour in Lyme Regis and boasts the most stunning panoramic views across the Jurassic coast - this is easily one of the most picturesque spots to enjoy fresh British fish seafood. The Fish House is an informal, light and airy dining room with simple white wooden tables and chairs. Here the focus is on sourcing and serving the best produce we can find and doing as little to it as possible so that you enjoy the real flavour of great British ingredients. HIX Oyster and Fish House supports sustainable fishing.
Reviewed 12 November 2018

Stumbling across a restaurant like this when on the hunt for some decent seafood for sunday lunch was an absolute treat. Location wise it doesn't really get much better, bit of a steep walk up to the top but well worth it once you get there. Amazing views of the cobb and cliffs to the left, could have sat there all day. the service was great, passionate and enthusiastic waiters always make a difference. We had the trio of cider fried oysters with scotch bonnet mayo, i would have been happy with an entire plateful of these, delicious! My boyfriend opted for the fish pie which he absolutely loved, yes it was predominantly salmon but it was very tasty. I had the crab spaghetti which was very tasty, i regretted only ordering the starter size portion! Washed down with a couple of glasses of pinot grigio I have zero complaints about our meal, but the reason this place has 4 stars in my opinion boils down to the overall ambience and decor within the place. When paying this amount of money, for a view like that and food like that, its to be expected! However, I would also not expect to see dirty floors, dust in every corner, battered furniture and just an overly blandly designed restaurant. Topped off with a random and rather ugly stuffed seagull in a neon hoola hoop hovering above your seat whilst you eat. Get the furnishings right in this place, get some flowers on the tables some art on the walls, some comfortable seating and a bit of colour and you're onto a winner! The scruffiness of the restaurant and the staff (dirty nike trainers and trousers almost falling down!) lets you down entirely.

Date of visit: November 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (2,237)

Reviewed 12 November 2018 via mobile

I wanted to love this place. I almost did. We were sat right in the window- a family of four on a gorgeous sunny Sunday for lunch on my birthday. The view could not have been better- spectacular. It was warm, despite being November so we stepped outside onto the terrace to look down at the Cobb whilst we waited for our food. And it was a wait. Others have mentioned this too. It was probably about an hour from ordering mains until we received them. We also ordered a couple of oysters and some of the homemade soda bread but this never materialised. It would certainly have taken the edge of the long wait for the main courses. I heard a waiter apologising to one couple for the delay, although we didn’t receive an apology. We did receive an apology for the bread and oysters not arriving when we pointed it out as the main courses arrived. I was quite surprised that despite this, a service charge was added to our bill! We had to ask for it to be removed. There is a kids menu and my daughter loved her crab spaghetti but our non-fish eating son ordered the chicken goujons. Having waited a long time for this, and not had the bread he asked for- 3 chicken goujons and about 15 skinny chips seemed somewhat stingy! Also there was no kind of veg with it. Adults order sides separately but I wouldn’t expect to order an adult side to go with a children’s meal. My fish pie was Ok but a bit underseasoned. It was mainly salmon and a white fish- some prawns in it would have been nice. My husband enjoyed his John Dory but it did seem a bit on the pricey side.

Overall it is an absolutely gorgeous setting and building but it could have been just a little bit better!

1  Thank Susan C
Reviewed 12 November 2018

Enjoyed a glass and some nibbles on the terrace overlooking the bay. Staff are fun and positive with a "can do" attitude. We had fun.
Dinner was of high quality, basic local ingredients, prepared and presented well, again staff were fun.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 10 November 2018 via mobile

I've been coming here since it opened years ago. Always a pleasure and a treat. Relaxed atmosphere. Wonderful views. Interesting menu of food and drinks. £160 for three, three courses didn't seem too bad. Smoked salmon was apparently delicious. Oysters themselves were excellent although I didn't like my chorizo breadcrumbs, the fried ones were lovely. The coley fish and chips seemed to meet the mark. The fish pie was pleasant enough but seemed full of just salmon. My guess curry was sadly nowhere near as good as previous crab and lobster versions. The fish was huge and overwhelming. It is a cheap choice and didn't taste special. I didn't enjoy it at all. The chocolate mousse was delicious which crunched pieces. Wonderful. The jelly was happily eaten and the chocolates. The mixed cheese plate was nice although a bit fridge cold. The merlot at £25 was good value. The IPA acceptable too. Yep overall lovely lunch. I would prefer higher value ingredients and pay more.

1  Thank TheAngeM
Reviewed 7 November 2018 via mobile

What a lovely evening, we had cockle popcorn, cuttlefish, prawn cocktail, brill and Huss curry, all fabulous. Service was great and would highly recommend