All reviews play barn feeding the animals chapel amble pets corner pond dipping tractor ride swimming pool the cottages working farm local pub lovely cottage on arrival cream tea marsh cottage perfect family holiday scones nice folks
Reviewed 17 August 2018 via mobile

Didn't have the opportunity to stay here but was lucky enough to use the pool, truly amazing fantasticly clean, wonderful polite staff, lovely looking grounds, Will be looking into making this a future holiday spot

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
TheOldeHouse, Sarah at The Olde House at The Olde House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2018

We'd love to welcome you here! If you'd like a brochure please pop an email to info@theoldehouse.co.uk with your address. Thanks!

Reviewed 16 August 2018

A fantastic place for a family holiday. Our cottage was clean and comfortable. The farm was just a brilliant, there was so much to do. The swimming pool was amazing and our kids certainly made good use of it. It was immaculate and even I used it (personally I don’t normally like swimming pools). The sauna, steam room and jacuzzi were a fantastic too.

What I also loved about the Olde House is that there is so much for the kids to do and they don’t charge extra. There is a big airy games room with a pool table, football table, air hockey, and a ping pong table. A big TV if the kids want to watch something in particular. Tennis courts, a shop where you can borrow things like books, DVDs, games etc.

There were regular activities such as pond dipping, archery and falconry, again no extra cost for these. The kids can feed the animals twice a day. I thought my kids might be a bit old for the activities (13 and 11) but they loved it. We all really enjoyed the tractor ride and the BBQ. It was a good opportunity to meet other people saying in the cottages and all the staff.

All the staff were so friendly and helpful. Nothing was too much trouble for them.

I really loved the bird hide and I went there every day where I saw buzzards, owl, heron, fox and lots more.

Although there are quite a lot of cottages it always felt quiet and was never loud or too busy.

Chapel Amble is a lovely place and I definitely recommend the pub down the road, really good food and great service.

The farm is in a good location as it is easy to get to some lovely places like Padstow, Newquay etc.

As you can probably tell I loved the Olde House and I can’t recommend this place highly enough. The holiday was so good we have already booked to go back at Easter 2019!

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family

Thank you so much for your lovely review! It sounds like you really made the most of your stay here & took part in all the activities. Thanks for taking the time to post your review & we look forward to seeing you again next Easter.

Reviewed 8 August 2018

Just returned for a week's stay at The Olde House after a recommendation from friends who stayed there a couple of years previously. Had a great time and would definitely recommend. Chapel Amble itself is a lovely spot with a good local pub (Maltsers Arms) and very convenient for everything there is to do along the ruggedly beautiful north Cornish coastline. We've explored this area extensively before but never tire of visiting places like Rock, Padstow, Tintagel and, further afield, Perranporth, St Agnes, Falmouth and St Ives, etc all within striking distance. Lots to see and do and had a good couple of days in Polzeath which I had never visited before and thoroughly enjoyed (pop into TJs for lunch).

The Olde House itself is nicely done and a lot of effort has gone into making everyone feel welcome inc. a BBQ hosted by the Hawkey family and different daily events. These are mostly aimed at children but admit that I really enjoyed the falconry talk and display and it was one of the best I have seen, excellent! There is also a short and longer farm trail snaking round the fields and I did this on a few occasions and it was very pleasant with some striking scenery. The organised events are a great idea and really well executed.

The new pool and spa area is also really first class as is the games room next door. One slightly negative observation here is that often children are left to their own devices here with little respect for the signage that says children under 16 should not be allowed in the spa area. Inflatables in the jacuzzi, a steam room full of kids opening and closing the door every 5 mins is not ideal. I was also in the pool with my 3 year old whilst a large group were using like it was their own private pool throwing a mini rocket thing (might be called a zorb?) the full length of the pool before embarking on a diving competition, despite signs asking to respect other swimmers and no diving. I'm not a killjoy and I want to see kids and families having fun but I would advise the owners to clarify the rules for the pool and spa in their welcome pack and possibly make some random visits at peak times to observe what goes on. I did mention this to reception at the time. Similarly with the play barn and adjorning field where there was a bit of a free for all going all; although both of these factors are really down to the parents and can't be the responsibility of the owners. The bathroom and kitchen in the cottage could have done with a bit more of a thorough clean, the catering company recommended didn't deliver enough food so we had to go out again shopping as soon as we got there, the wifi was a bit sketchy and there was the odd dog poo around the place (inc. two on our lawn) but, again, it is not up to the owners to police guests' dogs and I did see one of the owners pull up a guest whose dog had wandered off and gone to the toilet. Again, maybe the odd sign or reminder around the place wouldn't go amiss without it becoming overkill or too officious.

These few minor points aside, the week was a really enjoyable one and I felt thoroughly relaxed afterwards and really enjoyed my stay. The Olde House is definitely worth visiting and I would not hesitate to stay again and it would be interesting to see what other ideas the owners have to improve the place even further. Thanks again, I hope you don't mind my constructive points and keep up the great work you are doing.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
TheOldeHouse, Sarah at The Olde House at The Olde House, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2018

Thanks so much for your thorough review & we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your holiday with us!
I'm sorry that you experienced problems with other people's children. We do try to keep an eye out for any misbehaviour, however as you say, it is tricky to police. We will take note of the comments & do our best to visit the pool area more often. Once reception has relocated to this area, this will be much easier to keep an eye on.
I do hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Reviewed 19 July 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed our stay - the new pool house and games room is a massive plus and the complex has a really safe family feel. The cottage was clean and generally well equipped, my only complaint was a lack of a mirror in the downstairs bedroom. Comfy beds and 6 of us were easily accommodated here.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Dorirach
TheOldeHouse, Sarah at The Olde House at The Olde House, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2018

Thanks for taking the time to review your stay & we're happy to hear that you enjoyed your time here. We will endeavour to sort the mirror before your next stay! Looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed 16 July 2018

Third time lucky? Most definitely. Enhanced by some superb weather and the general World Cup buzz, this was our most enjoyable trip to Cornwall yet.
We were very impressed with the new swimming complex and the addition of the games and TV rooms. Also there were new activities which the adults could also partake of. We had a go at the archery one morning, where my wife excelled under the expert tuition of Mark. The family barbecue is as enjoyable as ever and gave me a chance to admire Andrew's new knee whilst giving him a hard time about the state of English rugby.
It was also interesting to chat to guests from Sweden and Germany, particularly for my daughter to test her linguistic abilities and make new friends from much further afield. Likewise it was good to see folks back again from previous years.
You would have to be very hard to please to find fault with this place. It's a great family destination run well by very nice folks.
Now surely a review like that might get me a bit of discount for next year...!

• Stayed: July 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank UraniumMan
TheOldeHouse, Sarah at The Olde House at The Olde House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2018

Wow! Thank you so much for posting such a great review! Really happy that you like all the new facilities & had a go at the Archery session. As for the rugby & footie I can't comment!! We would be delighted to welcome you back next year!