“Family dinner”
Review of Nether Abbey Hotel

Nether Abbey Hotel
Ranked #17 of 44 Restaurants in North Berwick
Reviewed 25 September 2016

We had a superb evening meal in the restaurant, menu has an excellent choice, service and ambience first class. The bar was busy and quite noisy however as we had asked for a table "so we could chat" we were well away from any background noise.

4  Thank Rhanna66

Reviewed 24 September 2016 via mobile

I visited the restaurant with my husband and parents on a busy Saturday evening. I'd booked a table earlier in the week and unfortunately our reservation had been lost. This wasn't a problem as we sat at the bar with a drink in hand as staff organised another table for us fairly quickly. Having never been to Nether Abbey before I hadn't realised that the bar where we were given our table can get quite noisy with drinkers. My parents are fairly elderly and we were placed next to a table of about 8-10men who were having a few drinks. As with any group drinking they were a little noisy which wouldn't have been a problem had we not been trying to have a meal and enjoy a catch up. My parents struggled to hear the conversation over the drunken laughter.

We ordered our meal and the starters came quite promptly and were delicious, especially the scotch egg. My mum ordered a glass of wine and we had to ask the staff to check the order as 15 mins later it still hadn't arrived.

Our starters were cleared and some 25 mins later the mains hadn't appeared. I queried it with the staff and they assured me they were on their way, 5 mins later they eventually came. However the mussels I had ordered came with the wrong sauce. After raising this with the staff, another waiter came with the correct dish as apparently the kitchen had confused two orders.

We all enjoyed the food very much, the fish and mussels were extremely good. However sadly the service was appalling. A lost reservation resulted in us sitting in the middle of the bar, our food took an age to arrive and when it did, the order was wrong.

I'd still go back just to make sure that the service wasn't simply one bad night but it was very disappointing.

To the staff's credit, they did take £16 off our food bill without any prompting. I can only assume they agreed that the service just wasn't up to scratch.

1  Thank 123steph456798
Reviewed 15 September 2016 via mobile

Ate here two nights running & the food,fun & frolicks were great. Decent priced wine list & the fish & chips were outstanding. The second night we were due to go somewhere else,only popped in for a quick beer & left 3 hours later.

Brilliant staff,credit to you all !!

4  Thank fruitbat100
Reviewed 7 September 2016

My wife and I have eaten in "The Nethers" many times and whether you are in the restaurant or The Fly Half Bar and Grill the food and service is generally very good and consistent without being overly fancy. A great bar with numerous beers and ales is very popular with the locals and the wines are palatable and relatively inexpensive. A wonderful place to spend a few casual hours supping and chatting with your friends

4  Thank Stephen K
Reviewed 4 September 2016

How can one not have fish and chips in the United Kingdom? It is an almost an art form here, and, like art, it comes in many varieties and many tastes. We are supporters of the battered fish and not breaded fish. We are all for double fried chips and mushy peas as our sides. The Nether Abbey has an excellent fish and chips along with a wide menu of fish and meat alternatives. There is a fine assortment of liquid refreshments to enjoy along with your meal. Service initially was disappointing however, as we waited for someone to seat us when we walked in and there was no one there. Another couple walked in after us and strode right up to a server while ignoring us and got a table in front of us. Not a good way to run a busy establishment. Luckily our server was quite competent and friendly.

4  Thank Rich781948