“Beach corner with Paradise”
Review of Hotel Dos Mares

Hotel Dos Mares
Ranked #4 of 19 Hotels in Tarifa
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“Beach corner with Paradise”
Reviewed 7 June 2011

When the travel agent failed accommodating us, with the help of Tripadvisor, I found this hotel. Reading about it made me think of a hippie community and that my family won’t enjoy it. However, I decided to take them here, just for the concept of beach bungalows and because we had to spend only 2 nights on the property.

Well, when I got there the only thing I could articulate was “how nice!”, “how pretty!”
This place is amazing! The owners found a great spot on the western beach of Tarifa, facing the Atlantic, and placed their horse stalls, the bungalows, the mini hotel, the restaurant, the lounges and the facilities on the cliff, giving it a layered aspect and perfect views over the Gibraltar Strait and the Moroccan coast. The entire design of the property is a mélange of Moroccan and Balinese art and architecture. The 40+ bungalows look all different and each one has its own charm.

I especially liked the fact that the floor to ceiling glass door all face the water, and that every little amenity is branded with the hotel’s logo – which makes it look more expensive than in reality. Than, the staff that is genuinely hospitable. We found that that hair dryer was burned (obviously due to the local humidity) and they immediately sent someone from engineering to fix it. Moreover, when we returned we found a little apologizing note from the engineer. Just like in a high end property and contrary to what I experienced with customer service in Spain.

The complimentary breakfast buffet is served in this beautiful restaurant which opens into a terrace, onto the beach, and has a beautiful laid-back atmosphere. It made us linger until 11am every morning. Initially it bothered me that internet is not available in the bungalows, but then I really enjoyed using it just for a limited time in the café, and that we were all force to congregate there, to socialize and to admire the beautiful views of the coast. I also loved the crowd – allot of young kite surfers, families with kids, beach lovers, romantics… and my family promised to go back in the summer for a long vacation.

Room Tip: choose the second raw of bungalows - no horse odor
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank acatri

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 19 May 2011

Stayed in one of the little bungalows looking out onto the beach. When we first went in it smelled damp and mouldy but after a few days it was fine. We arrived here on a Saturday night and got the last two bunglaows in the place. It was quiet busy for the weekend. we decided to stay anonther and another night cos the place had a certain charm and was quiet and relaxed which was just what we needed for the start of our holiday. Tired to do a deal with reception but we were shown the rate card and we could either take it or leave it, he didnt care. it was so nice to over look the beach, walk out of the hotel in the morning after breakfast and walk along the beach. I would definetly stay here again. We had breakfast here which was great but we went to some lovely restaurants and little bars for tapas in the evening time. You need a car for this hotel

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank havetofly
kuwait
Reviewed 4 March 2011

Hotel Dos Mares is a beautiful quaint hotel especially if you get the room right at the top, with views to all sides of the beach. The hotel is poised on a stunning beach and is well located so you can travel from and to many nearby beaches and cities. If you love kite surfing then this is the spot for you. I loved the hotel’s style and restaurant. Located only minutes away by car to Tarifa, where there are plentiful places to visit, typical of the southern part of Spain.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gkhalaf
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 20 December 2010

At the southernmost point of Europe this hotel should be among the best.

The hotel is in the fairy-look buildings at a good location. We can park our car in the courtyard. Our bungalow (not sea-view), well, better say a room, is more or less fine. The only problem was that I felt the bed sheets were moist, maybe due to the climate.

The restaurant for breakfast is in an open pavilion, facing the ocean. The beach is nice and long. It seemed that many people came here for lunch or dinner.

Next time we would try surfing if we go back.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with friends
southwest UK
Reviewed 16 May 2010

Great beach location and lots of facilities, can feel like a little bit of paradise on a sunny day - especially if you are into wind surfing/kite surfing or have a family beach holiday in mind and can handle serious wind. I enjoyed staying here for five days but there are several problems that could screw your holiday about if you dont know. Firstly I stayed in one of their 'especial' two room cabins in the grounds which was excellent - but I had to complain to get one of these because the standard single room chalet I was allotted was very grotty, very basic and to be avoided - if you are booking be sure you are clear about what chalet you want - this could ruin your holiday if you get one of their duff chalets.
The rest of the hotel is pleasantly boho/tatty but there are problems - for a start, none of the machines in the gym work - not one ! so the treadmill, and two cycle machines are broken and I would say have no chance of being fixed - I got a 'manyanish' response when I reported the problem, the pool is more of a plunge pool (with a deep end) you couldnt exercise in there properly - but you could have a refreshing dip and its fine for kids. The grounds are kept well and it was all very pretty when I was there (in the Spring). The breakfast is OK, and you can keep on coming back (its a buffet style) - didnt try the restaurant other than that. I'd recommend this for families as well as couples and friends - its relaxed and in a beautiful place - but of you want something more refined where everything works and youre worried about getting a duff chalet - then best stay elsewhere. Tarifa is not really walkable on a regular basis - its about 3 miles down the beach - so you need transport.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends