All reviews spa pool rooms surrounding sports facilities attractive hotel large balcony lovely building great room following morning tapas fitness spain roadside town euros earplugs mirror andalusian
Reviewed 4 November 2017

We stayed for one night for my husbands birthday and are so pleased we chose Eslava! It is beautiful inside and out and exceptionally kept - everything was immaculate and very clean. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet, the free use of the fitness centre and spa was more than worth the price of the room - the gym is extremely well equipped and maintained, the spa facilities brilliant The food in the restaurant is delicious and portions huge - staff throughout both the hotel and spa are all very helpful.
Downsides?? Our room is in need of painting due to scuff marks on the walls, and the only mirror is the one in the bathroom, with the windows open there is traffic noise, the sauna and jacuzzi weren't working but the steam room and all the different jets around the spa pool were and totally made up for it - staff are aware and repairs are in hand, also no kind of tapas or light snacks available during the day.
We live locally and were so impressed we're joining the gym!!

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2017

This is a lovely hotel but spoiled a little by a rather strange experience at breakfast. My husband and I came down at around 8.30am and there was a normal breakfast buffet laid out, with an egg station. After collecting some coffee and fruit, I went to the egg station and asked the guy behind it for 2 fried eggs. (I had seen people before me do this and have their eggs fried freshly in front of them.) He gabbled a lot of Spanish which I couldn't follow and banged the oil, eggs and cooking utensil onto the table. I was a bit taken aback at what seemed to be an unfriendly retort, but thought he hadn't understood, so tried again, asking him in my rather limited Spanish. The response was repeated again, even more fiercely. I rather nervously turned to my husband and he said 'I think he's telling you to do it yourself'!! I queried this with the guy via gesticulations & this turned out to be the case. So I had to lean across the buffet table (I am rather small so I could barely reach the hot plate) to pour the oil, crack the eggs and cook them....in fact they were falling off the front of the hot plate and made a real mess of it. He just watched me.... To make matters worse, while I was eating them, another gentleman came up and asked him for fried eggs and got them cooked for him!!!! I felt so embarrassed and humiliated....I have no idea why I was put through this....because I was a woman? ....because I was English and didn't speak a lot of Spanish? I could see that he was busy as there only seemed to be him to do this, replenish the buffet and clear tables....but this is an extraordinary experience to have in a 4-star hotel!!
Afterwards, I went to reception and asked to see the manager (who was not available). The guy at reception was very helpful and assured me that there would not be a repeat of the problem the following morning. There wasn't, but this time my eggs were cooked out of sight in the kitchen and came back swimming in a rather unpleasant brown oil that looked as if it had been re-used........!!!
It was a shame to have this experience as I liked the hotel. Our room was pleasant and clean and the common areas of the hotel were nicely furnished. The bar had character. It was positioned a little out of town and while a walkable distance, you couldn't easily walk it as the very busy road had no walkways at the side. However a taxi to anywhere in town seemed to be a fixed price of 7 Euros, so that seemed fair.
We very much liked Antequera, spent a full day looking at the main sites - the fort, churches and dolmens....and did Caminito Del Rey on the way there, and El Torcal on the way back.

Room Tip: Ask for one which does not overlook the kitchens
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 October 2017 via mobile

Stayed for 1 night at Finca Eslava.

Good points: food in restaurant was very good. The building is charming and rooms are very well equipped and clean.

Bad points: service is terrible. Other than get us a taxi Reception provided little help/advice regarding Antequera (bearing in mind that the train station is closed and the town seems to be undergoing a lot of renovation work) and the waiter at breakfast was rude. No attempt was made to help the guests.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 May 2017

Great Hotel on the ourskirts of Antequerra with excellent sports facilities.
Reasonably priced and a change from bland traditional roadside properties. Get their early to enjoy the facilities-Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank uasathome
Reviewed 2 May 2017

We were married in South Africa, and on our return to Spain hosted a lunch at the beautiful Finca Eslava, one of our favorite places.

Our table for ten was beautifully presented, the food was excellent and the staff were attentive and extremely helpful. Everyone who attended was impressed with the ambience of the restaurant and of the lovely building in general.

We will have another lunch there soon, for those who were unable to join us this time.

A big thank you to everyone at the Finca Eslava, you are very special and we will always return for the wonderful food.

Room Tip: We did not stay overnight as we live close by, but may do so in the future.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends