Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
Priceline
US$107
View deal
Booking.comUS$107
eDreamsUS$107
Agoda.comUS$107
TripadvisorUS$107
Hotels.com
All reviews first floor old world charm great atmosphere bar food mullingar town carvery portions ireland
Selected filters
Reviewed 23 August 2020 via mobile

Seriously guys, it’s time to prize open the wallet and give this place the investment it deserves, as the state of the hotel is embarrassing. The room was not clean when I arrived, was filled with mismatched dated furniture, a thin mattress and towels, scuffed thin walls, charity shop art, and an old carpet. It’s looks like it was last renovated during Celtic tiger (magnolia everywhere) and not had a penny spent on it since.

The breakfast was awful, and harks back to an era when Irish people rated big fat fry ups, the cheap greasy piled high kind. Nothing healthy available, (only toffee flavoured yogurts?!) seriously it’s all so 1990!

My concentration camp view just topped it all off. Avoid this place like the plague!

Date of stay: August 2020
2  Thank suresh23456
Reviewed 18 August 2020

Apart from the hotel being a bit dated, I found it to be clean, very friendly with excellent food ad service. The hotel does need to work on a sign for their car park location. We knew it had a car park and we knew it had to be at the back of the hotel but we had to drive around twice before we found the turning but there was nothing to say that the hotel car park was there. We had lunch on arrival, dinner that night and breakfast the next morning and all the food was wonderful. The location is perfect, right in the heart of Mullingar town centre. After we had checked in (the weather wasn't great) two of our party went for a walk along the canal and myself and my mum went for a coffee in a lovely (I recommend) cafe called 'Chocolate Brown'. The next day we walked around 'Belvedere House & Gardens, a drive away South of Mullingar. I really enjoyed my stay here as did my family. You do need to bring shower gel and shampoo as these were not in the room due to Covid. And sanitizer was everywhere in the hotel including rooms.

Room tip: Rolling of barrels at the back of the hotel woke me up early so perhaps ask for a room at the front.
Reviewed 21 July 2020

The Greville Arms located in the heart of the bustling town of Mullingar is the perfect base for exploring the midlands with many places of interest nearby including Belvedere House and Gardens and two greenways.

Stayed here for two nights. Overall, I had an enjoyable stay and I guess I would stay again but I do feel the place could be so much better.

The hotel itself is stunning- a work of historical significance with even a Canova cast in the reception area as well as interesting paintings and artefacts scattered throughout the uniquely designed building that at times is almost maze like. The design is interesting. It makes you want to explore the building. There is also a beautiful garden outside on the first floor. Perfect for these sunny summer days.

My room was very large and amply furnished, shower pressure and wifi was good. The bed was comfortable.

The staff especially the reception staff were very helpful and friendly and knowledgeable of local attractions.

What let this hotel down the most for me was the breakfast. I work in hospitality and I am aware that the breakfast buffet has to be a thing of the past these days but I found the organisation of the breakfast to be needlessly difficult. Basically, you queue up with your tray for breakfast. From a Covid 19 control perspective, I don't see how increasing the numbers of people around the queuing area to order food is wise. Furthermore, if you are ordering just a continental breakfast, it isn't clear what continental food is on offer. I found myself having to ask the staff at the check-out what they had, what cereal, what juice, if they do fruit etc (slowing down the queue for others behind me no doubt). Once you order your food and go to your table, if you realise you want something else, you have to go back and queue up again. This happened on both mornings I was there as staff forgot to provide cutlery with my food. It made the whole experience of breakfast (often one of people's favourite parts of staying in a hotel) difficult. Furthermore, the food quality was nothing special. Most of the fruit was from a tin and the brown bread was taken from a sliced pan pack that still felt like it hadn't been fully defrosted. I considered going up to ask for something different but that would have involved queuing for the third time. Table service with disposable breakfast menus would work much better here.

I did have lunch and tea/scones in the bar and I did enjoy that food but again, I don't see why they can't do more table service.

Overall, excluding the breakfast, my stay was pleasant. I also appreciated the towels being placed in a plastic container for my use in the room as well as the keycard being placed in a plastic bag. All of the staff were wearing masks too, which was reassuring. The hotel is a little tired in places with some of the carpet and furniture needing replacing. Procedures do need to be tightened up in terms of cleanliness in some of the common areas (a pint glass sat uncollected on a table in the outdoor bar for the 2 days I was there), fallen flower petals were left lying on one of the ornamental tables as well as some extension lead in the reception area potentially a future health and safety claim.

I would stay again but on a room only basis but really, this place could be so much better.

2  Thank Colette S
Siobhan Tuite, General Manager at Greville Arms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2020

Dear Reviewer,
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Greville Arms Hotel.
We appreciate all your consructive comments. I am delighted that overall you enjoyed your stay and that you experienced the historical significance of the Canova Statue.
Thank you for pointing out your difficulties with breakfast. We have made changes since reopening and we are reviewing our methods on a daily basis to improve our services.
The Corona Virus has changed our normal services but we will always endeavour to keep our service to the highest standard.
I hope we can welcome you back soon to the Greville Arms Hotel.

Kind Regards
John Cochrane

Reviewed 6 July 2020

Thank you for finding and keeping safe my mother's purse after we had lunch there on July 1st - which we really enjoyed - appreciate the care as it was a shock for her to find she didn't have it later. Such a relief for her to get the call the following day -

Martina

Reviewed 16 April 2020

My father and I were in Ireland to bury my sister. Whilst another hotel which we had booked into closed, the Greville Arms allowed us to stay for the night before the funeral. I then had problems trying to rebook our flights back to the UK but Claire kindly offered to help and whilst we were at the funeral did this for me. Many, many thanks to all at the Greville Arms and in particular Claire for showing such kindness in these difficult times.

Date of stay: March 2020