All reviews walled garden drawing room wedding venue overlooking the lake rowing boat hidden gem relaxed atmosphere wedding reception sitting area magical experience special place four poster old world charm beautiful grounds fabulous wedding owners and staff perfect venue
Reviewed 6 July 2015 via mobile

Stayed in ashley park house on 5 th July with my wife to celebrate our first wedding anniversary having held our reception here last year. Delighted to see lots of work having been done on the landscaping without losing any of its charm. Warm welcome with tea/coffee offered on arrival. Beautiful suite room with views of the lake. Excellent professional personal service from staff including manager Margaret. Excellent value 4 course meal that evening. Top quality food beautifully cooked. Overall an excellent place for weekend getaway and look forward to returning soon.

Date of stay: July 2015
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Paddy K
Reviewed 1 July 2015

We didnt exactly make it to the B&B to enable us to experience the food etc that everyone raved about in other reviews. Our experience stopped short due a complete disaster in the manner they take and honour their bookings. We had made 2 seperate bookings (one direct and one via an independant website). A few weeks later we were contacted seperately to inform us that the owner of the guesthouse had an accident and that they had to close for the month of July, I had no problem with this and was completely sympathetic to the cause. Roll on another month and we get another call, this time saying that they couldnt honour our reservation as they were fully booked!?!?! Alarms bells immediately rang in my head and I contacted them requesting to book a room only to be told they were "fully booked" that weekend. Eventually got through to Margaret (who pretends to be the daughter and not the acutal owner) who fobbed me off that it was a family memeber that took the booking who then fell ill and they couldnt read half of the bookings made due to his handwriting so they contacted who they could. I cant really beleive this excuse considering I had made a seperate booking on a webiste which wouldnt have involved anyone in the hotel having to write anything down. Margaret tried to make excuses that she "didnt see that booking" but really couldnt give a valid excuse for not honouring our bookings. So it appears they are open for the July weekend in question, margaret explained they are fully booked but are actually overbooked and cannot get hold of people to tell them they may not have a room ..... sorry but this is just the pits when it comes to business management.
I see a number of reviews making reference to Margaret being the owner - I was led to believe she wasnt and the "Margaret" I spoke to was claiming to be a relative that didnt live in the country but came to help out every so often ..... you just couldnt trust this place.

Date of stay: July 2015
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
19  Thank efioa
Reviewed 22 June 2015

A truly charming hotel, enhanced by warm and friendly staff and very good cooking, both at dinner and breakfast.

Peaceful grounds ( till the JCB started at 07.00 ! )

Such a nice change from a standard business hotel and cheaper too : what's not to like ?

A larger sign on the main road would be helpful to motorists !

• Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 9 June 2015 via mobile

Attended a function in AshleyPark House on the 5th june. We had a fantastic evening in this beautiful house from the lovely food served to the peacocks on the lawn ,the staff were very friendly and helpful .I would highly recommend a visit.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 7 June 2015 via mobile

I stayed at Ashley Park for the second time last weekend and it was even better than I remembered. It's a little step back in time in such a beautiful, historical house right on a stunning Lake. The owner, Margaret and her team and so welcoming and the vibe is lovely and laid back. Nothing is too much trouble and as it was a quiet weekend we were given a choice of rooms, one of which was the bridal suite (which we obviously took!). A huge suite with a four poster bed overlooking the lake, quite possibly the perfect setting. We started off with a G&T in the lounge followed by a lovely three course dinner in the stunning dining room looked after very well by Mary and chef Helen. Her forte is deserts and I had the best creme brulee I've ever had which she says is her speciality. We took our wine up to the room after dinner (complete with leftover beef from a wedding the day before for our dogs which Mary kindly offered us). They are completely dog friendly by the way for those of you who are interested. The first time I was there was back in February with a party of guns for some nearby shooting and the dogs were all with us during dinner. They're allowed everywhere but the kitchen. This time round, with other guests in the house, we dutifully left them in the room during dinner! After dinner we went to the local pub called Frolics which Margaret had told us about. It's a wonderful experience which I cannot recommend highly enough. The locals were so welcoming. We stayed on for the traditional music session and didn't leave til 1am as drinks were being bought for us by strangers all night!! All in all a trip that we will never forget. One of those experiences that you could never plan but will stay in your memories forever. We will be making it a regular weekend destination.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple