SURF & STAY(Strandhill)
TripAdvisor
Cois Re Apartments(Strandhill)
Agoda.com
All reviewscontinental breakfaststrandhill lodgeboiled eggsseaweed bathipod dockthe atlantic oceannespresso machinebalcony roomself servicestrand barmini fridgeyogurtresidents loungeice bucketdvd playerstrand hillrooms are spacious
Reviewed 21 August 2011

In July, my husband and I and our 2 children(11 & 8) stayed in a suite on the top floor. It comprised of 2 rooms. One a large bedroom with kingsize bed and the other room is a sitting room with small kitchen area. The sofa turned into a comfortable bed and a futon-type camp bed was made up for our second child. All beds were extremely comfortable. There was a huge picture window in this room with a fantastic sea view. Also a table and 4 chairs . Wall mounted flat screen TV/DVD in both rooms with a selection of DVDs at reception. The bathroom was very well equiped and the quality of finish from the carpets to the bed linen was "top notch". I was very impressed with this small hotel/guesthouse. Its greatest asset though is its Manager (David) . Nothing was too much trouble for him. The level of customer care that was shown to us was outstanding- from organising pony treking to seaweed baths to just being very approachable and friendly.
There is no cooked breakfast available, but there is a wide selection of breads cereals fruits pastries etc , with many types of tea and good coffee. We did not miss the "fry-up" and instead enjoyed trying something else.
We returned (at short notice) to Stranhill last week and David was able to fit us in for one night. This time we had a balcony room on the 1st floor (just 2 of us this time) .The same wonderful finish but that balcony and the view was very special. I love the comfortable wicker chairs. A little snooze was had, and enjoyed. The balcony is sheltered from any wind but with the front section made from glass, you have a spectacular view from your comfy seat.
I noticed that they now have bikes for hire which is a great way to see the area.
We have just re-discovered Sligo and its wonderful coastline. Sligo itself is a good shopping town and has a good selection of restaurants and cafes. In our room David had left a guide for "Discovering Sligo" which we found a great help. I had different day trip ideas for the area and reviews on all the local restaurants etc.

Strandhill itself is a small and spotless seaside resort with wonderful walks along a surfing beach. The waves on a windy day are huge and as you have a westerly view there are spectacular sunsets. Our children love the icecream parlour "Maple mouse" for their crepes and self service sluchies. I love the little tea-rooms with homemade cream cakes....permitted bacause I had a healthy breakfast!!!!!!

This is somewhere I would highly reccommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 3 September 2011

Dear Dexysgirl

Thankyou so much for your very kind review; and thankyou for your kind comments; we are very humbled when we recieve them.

Our committment is to try and give an extra level of service in order to compliment what we feel is a very good product; so it is gratifying when we do receive positivie feedback. I'm even more delighted that you and your family enjoyed your break away; and that you got a chance to enjoy the local area also.

On your second visit it is great that you enjoyed the Balconies; there is something thrilling about sitting out and watching the ocean or the sunsets; it gives a very mediterranean feel to the west of ireland!

With relation to your comments about breakfast; i'm happy that you enoyed the change - we are still trying to update and amend our offerings as we don't offer the traditonal fry; so we always welcome feedback on this.

Thankyou again for taking the time out to review us; it really is greatly appreciated; i hope that we see you again soon and continue to live up to the standards we set ourselves.

When you book again do call me personally; I will try and ensure you get the same rooms again.

David McCoy

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My friend and I stayed here for a weekend and had an absolutely fantastic time. We stayed in the suite and I couldn't fault a thing with the place - the beds are the most comfortable I've ever slept in! Service is excellent too - staff couldn't be friendlier. Can't wait to go back!

Management response:Responded 3 September 2011

Dear Churb

Many thanks for your kind review; i'm delighted you enjoyed your stay with us; and that you found the place relaxing. We are proud of our suites; and hopefully we will continue to constantly improve our service.

I look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

If you book with us beforehand we will ensure that you get the same room.

Thankyou again for taking the time to write a review; it is greatly appreciated.

David McCoy

Reviewed 11 August 2011

I stayed at this Hotel over the Bank Holiday in August and could not recommend it more. The customer service was superb by David and all his staff. The rooms were spacious, bright and comfortable, and the buffet breakfast was enough to keep the hardiest surfer content till lunch. The location was perfect for both surfing and nightlife.
David gave us plenty of recommendations for restaurants and pubs, and also organised our surfing and sea baths, which he got at a good rate.

I would definitely stay here again.
Lisa

Room Tip: Fab balcony and sea view in the Delux rooms, no need for the suites unless you want a seperate area.

Dear Lila89

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review; It is always greatly appreciated. I'm delighted that you found our advice helpful as that is what we are here for - we are all local so we like to think that we know what is good in the vicinity.

Strandhill has a terrific Vibe to it and it can be quite lively at night without having that nightclub feel to it; just late bars and good music whether it be rock or folk.

I hope you will return again shortly and be sure to ring ahead and we will ensure you get a balcony room.

Thankyou again for taking time to review and i look forward to welcoming you back to strandhill.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

Booked this hotel for a short break away. The room was very spacious with a beautiful view over the atlantic. On check in we were given a very personal welcome and were even shown to our room! Everyone in the hotel was very helpful from booking restaurants to recommending local amenities. The continental breakfast was a lovely change from the irish 'fry up'. Would recommend this hotel to anyone thinking of visiting Sligo.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear R0sie2011

Thankyou for taking time to write a review it is greatly appreciated. I'm glad you found the personal touch on the service to be to your liking; we are anxious for our guests to feel that their custom is valued so we like to show everyone to their rooms as a personal touch.

Breakfast is a decision we took a while ago to provide a fresh alternative and thus we try and provide a comprehensive continental as we like to call it; we always welcome suggestions on improvements though but i'm delighted you enjoyed it.

The views are terrific from our suites, patio and balcony rooms and the sunsets are terrific; its just a pity the sun doesn't shine all the time!

Again thank-you so much for writing the review and i look forward to welcoming you back in future.

Reviewed 7 August 2011

we stayed in the Strandhill Lodge and Suites hotel for a night just for a little break away. On arrival the receptionist was extremely helpful and nice, the manager David was also present and was lovely. The hotel itself was decorated and furnished to a high standard it reminded me of some of the high class hotels i have stayed in. The bedroom had a lovely sea view and had a little terrace area outside the room which was nice. The room was immaculate with comfortable beds, a very nice bathroom, a small fridge, a safe, ironing board etc. The breakfast was continental spread which was thoroughly enjoyable. Congratulations to David and the staff for such a lovely place

Dear Donegalfizzy

Many thanks for taking the time to write a review; and for your gracious comments about us. I'm particularly delighted that you found our team to be helpful and friendly; your comments are always passed on and it also puts a smile on their faces!

I'm delighted you like the room amenities as we try to offer everything to our guests and the little extras always are welcomed; but suggestions are always welcome also. To be compared to a high class hotel is particularly nice as that is what we are trying to aspire to and i feel we have gone some way to achieving it.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future; so please do call ahead when booking and i will ensure that you get the same room again.

Many thanks again for the review.