All reviews brabazon restaurant the main house the cottages honesty bar special occasion wedding reception from start to finish wedding venue cellar bar mini bar courtyard cottage sarah jane beef afternoon tea bridal suite top class roaring fire
Reviewed 22 January 2018

We stayed in one of the cottages, the hotel, cottages and surrounding grounds are beautiful. Although it was super comfortable and beautifully decorated and furnished, our room was tiny and the bathroom pretty average. Pricing skewed very much in favour of single guests, where they received double rooms ensuite (€105 B&B) at half the cost of couples (€210 B&B) using exactly the same facilities, except for the additional breakfast. As a single I'd have been happy to pay €105, but feel the couples rate should be closer to 1.5 times the single rate as €210 is expensive of an overnight stay for 2 in the off season in Meath.
Despite this from start to finish the staff could not have been better, a perfect combination of professional, welcoming and friendly, whether it was checking-in, checking -out, at the Prosecco reception, or the delicious meal.
Starter of smoked salmon with creme fraiche and wasabi, perfect. Fillet steak done medium rare to perfection and creme brulee (which I only intended to taste, but actually scoffed) was delicious.
The residents bar was reasonably priced and the fabulous drawing room with comfy sofas was a great place to chat late into the night.
On balance, a very enjoyable stay and only an hour from Dublin.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank chush007
Gary-Tankardstown, General Manager at Tankardstown, responded to this reviewResponded 26 January 2018

Dear chush007,
Thank you for taking the time to leave us this TripAdvisor review, and lovely to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay with us overall. It is indeed our policy to charge accommodation in the cottages on a per person basis. We feel that this is most equitable as all guests are then charged at the same rate and our single occupancy guests do not incur an extra supplement on the room for their stay.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and kind comments on our staff, cuisine, and venue. I hope we can welcome you back to Tankardstown again in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 30 December 2017 via mobile

This venue for a friends wedding was much hyped but sadly did not live up to it.

The food was cold by the time it reached our table.

The bar up stairs does not take card payments leaving me dreadfully embarrassed had it not been for a friend!.

There is practically no accommodation onsite and no convenient means to get back to sundry satellite B&B’s. (You can’t book a taxi)!

The venue is truly beautiful and the staff were regretfully also not trained to the 5 star standard the venue promised.

To the prospective wedding couple planning to use this venue, the good news is these things are fixable, just make sure they fix these before you confirm.

I know my friend and new spouse were totally trilled and I would not want this review to dampen their joy.

Best of luck.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
6  Thank G2871INmichaelc
Gary-Tankardstown, General Manager at Tankardstown, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2018

Good afternoon Michael C.
I am sorry that, as an invited guest by your dear friends, on the most special and important day of their lives, that you felt that the need to review the 'hype' of their carefully chosen wedding venue, whatever that may be? This is not a word I have heard associated with Tankardstown before. Whilst I appreciate that we are not perfect, we do endeavour to provide a top quality service and product to each and every guest who visits us which is reflected in our 4.5 Star rating out of 332 reviews here on Tripadvisor.
We will continue to strive to be the best we can at hosting guests at Tankardstown well in to 2018 and in the years to come. With kind regards Gary Britton

Reviewed 29 December 2017 via mobile

Just attended a wedding at Tankardstown Hotel!

Had an over night in one of the cottages.

Beautiful setting, fantastic food,lovely comfortable accommodation, Staff couldn't be more helpful.
I could go on but better to see for yourself.
I Highly recommend a stay if you find yourself close by.

Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear freddiemcg,
Thank you for leaving us this lovely TripAdvisor review. I am so very pleased to read how you enjoyed a wedding and overnight stay at Tankardstown recently. It sounds like we ticked all the boxes and that is what we always strive for. Thank you for your recommendation and I do hope we can welcome you again soon.

Best wishes and Happy New Year,

Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

Super staff, very friendly and accommodating. Stayed in a cottage on site, looks like converted stable yard, inside beautifully appointed, all needs catered for. Pre dinner drinks in the main house gratis in front of a roaring fire, then across to the restaurant for a 5 star meal.I thought the entire experience was flawless.

Date of stay: November 2017
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Gary-Tankardstown, General Manager at Tankardstown, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2017

Dear guest,
Thank you for you five star review of Tankardstown. It brings me great pleasure to read how you enjoyed your experience with us, and were well looked after by our staff. I do hope we can welcome you back again soon. Best wishes for the new year.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 December 2017 via mobile

Myself & my friend had a fantastic overnight stay in one of the cottages...afternoon tea, dinner bed & breakfast we are fab, staff were very helpful & friendly especially Roisin & Holly...wud definitely go back...

Trip type: Travelled with friends
Gary-Tankardstown, General Manager at Tankardstown, responded to this reviewResponded 18 December 2017

Dear guest,
Thank you for your excellent TripAdvisor review. We are so glad to hear you enjoyed your stay at Tankardstown and thank you for acknowledging our friendly and helpful staff. I will be sure to pass on the message. We look forward to welcoming you again soon, for another enjoyable stay.

Best wishes and Happy Christmas,