All reviews harry clarke ensuite shower room homemade granola boxty great place to stay quality towels weekend stay dab hand lovely breakfast full irish achill island clare john cycling hillwalking sink greenway
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Newport great little town , friendly people great craic. Amazing scenery beautiful river running through the town. Stunning part of Ireland
Brannens the rooms were warm clean snug
Breakfast was amazing. John and team can’t do enough. Certainly be going back

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with friends
John C, Owner at Brannens of Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Thank you for your compliments we are delighted we made your stay an enjoyable one .

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Great place to stay rooms lovely and have everything you need. Comfy beds , hot showers Tea coffee etc
Great atmosphere in the bar , had a great singalong. Everyone friendly and welcoming.
John does a great breakfast. Looking forward to going back.

Andrew 21/9/17 24/9/17

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
clare c, Owner at Brannens of Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2017

Thanks for your lovely review Andrew ,we're delighted you enjoyed your stay and next time I might be able to show you our beautiful scenery. John

Reviewed 23 September 2017

Great place to stay in non-touristy, real Ireland Newport. Westport was booked solid for the weekend so I stayed in Newport at this B&B and was very happy with the accommodations. 50E for a single. Modern rooms over a pub but quiet, friendly owners and staff, strong wifi, TV, and a great breakfast. A lot of hikers and walkers stay here as the owners are active and expert in that area. This is a great town to base from if wanting to visit Achill Island for a day which I recommend. The Grainne Uaile at the bottom of Main Street is an excellent pub with good food, music and friendly owners and locals.

Room tip: All rooms are large and bright. Not a view B&B.
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
clare c, Owner at Brannens of Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2017

Thanks for your review we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay at Brannens. John.

Reviewed 7 September 2017 via mobile

My girlfriend and myself stayed here for a weekend of my friends wedding. Even though I am local enough to the area we thought it would be a treat to stay and take the pressure off and we couldn't be more right. We would like to thank Clare and John for a wonderful stay, a savage breakfast and a welcoming reception.
Fair to say we were impressed with the rooms and facility's.
I would recommend Brannens again and have done already.
Thanks again

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
clare c, Owner at Brannens of Newport, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2017

Thanks so much for your kind words it was lovely to have ye stay with us and we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay John & Clare

Reviewed 31 August 2017

I recently spent four nights here and would have loved to stay longer. The hotel at the front is centuries old however the accommodation at the back of the premises is a recent addition, has all the mod cons and is very quiet.

The hosts John and Clare, and their son Sean are what really made this place special for me. The first morning Clare invited me to come along with her pals for a 7 hour walk, instead I did a number of the town and estuary walks that are identified in the folder in the rooms. John gave me some great tips about places to visit in the local area, like the Nephin Beg wilderness area, which I would not have discovered on my own. He also encouraged me to take the short walk to the local church St Patrick's, to enjoy the spectacular painted glass behind the altar designed by Harry Clark. Well worth a look.

Newport is a cycling hub village and in the midst of a huge range of walks. A great spot for people who want to be active, particularly since there is a drying room at Brannens which is a very handy service. Also a good choice of eating places in the same street.

I had a great time based in Newport made all the better by John's hospitality. The locals in the bar downstairs are a whole lot of fun also. If you can, make Sean laugh (not hard) his smile lights up the room. A lovely family and such good fun.

Room tip: I had a room at the back with a skylight - lovely to hear the rain
Date of stay: August 2017
  • Trip type: Travelled solo

Thanks Beverly it was lovely to meet you we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and the craic with the locals in Brannens. We are privileged to live in such a wonderful area, we travel a lot ourselves we try to provide what we would like ourselves, Maby we have you following Mayo : ) John, Clare & Sean.