All reviewshis teamvery special placefine diningold world charmthe ownerperfect venuemusic playingcourse mealspecial occasionwedding venuelambsmall weddinglovely foodpreserveslovely experienceamazing weddingstayed two nights
Reviewed 24 May 2016

Lovely setting. Room v small for cost. notices in bathroom about toiletries - if you take them you will incur a £12 charge! most insulting and negative. Cold unwelcoming host. Friend had very awkward conversation on 2nd night when he ordered wine for our room. it appeared to be frowned upon. Carlingford was a wonderful Oasis - hidden gem with amazing food and pubs such as PJ O Hares and Ma Bakers. I would return but sadly Ghan House left us cold"

Room Tip: room was fine
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Trish M
Reviewed 22 May 2016

Booked the best room in the house which turned out to be a bit tired from a decor point of view; dinner menu contained lots of local produce but unfortunately on the first night some things were off menu when we arrived at 7:30 for dinner; ordered rump of lamb for main and was asked how we wanted it cooked ( medium rare, pink) unfortunately it came over cooked and tough without much flavour; second night was superb with tasty prawns to start with and beautiful cod as main; it was a social occasion and I had asked about a special menu on one of the evenings but this proved to be not possible; the do not room ambience was good, staff friendly and very professional; breakfast was thestar of the show; Paul was a very welcoming owner\host however he dropped the 'F ' word on two occasions which was unacceptable! Sorry not sure if I would return as cost did not match the experience. John

Room Tip: Try the annex room 8
  • Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John C
Reviewed 9 May 2016 via mobile

Just back from another wonderful stay at the Ghan House. As always a warm welcome from Paul and his staff.

We stayed in Room 8, The Garden Room, a large and airy room with lovely views.

We are regular guests and and always enjoy exceptional dinners, a wonderful selection of wines. The house is beautiful, a quiet and peaceful haven to relax and unwind.

We had an early walk with views of the Cooley and Mourne Mountains on a beautiful spring morning before heading back for a fabulous breakfast.

Our next visit is already booked :-)

Stayed: May 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Pam L
Reviewed 4 May 2016

As an event planner it is always important to have vendors you can trust to deliver quality and satisfactory service to your clients. Sarah and Paul from Ghan House provided that and more and I would highly recommend them to anyone and wouldn't hesitate in booking them again.
From the minute they were recommended to me and I made contact with them they were nothing but helpful and nothing was too much trouble.
I recently had a client from London visit Carlingford with a group of 10 and I booked them into Ghan House for dining in a private function room. The feedback I had from the whole group exceeded any expectations I had.
To directly quote them, "Ghan House was AMAZZZING!!. We loved it. The food was exceptional and the exclusive dinig room was so stunning! We will be back to Carlingford and back to Ghan House."
I think it is safe to say I had some very happy clients on my hands by the end of their meal and I am so grateful to Sarah and Paul and the rest of the Ghan House staff for their assistance and for looking after my clients so well.
I will definitely be booking them again. Five star food and Five star service. What more could you want.

• Stayed: May 2016, travelled with family
1  Thank ARigney
Reviewed 28 April 2016

We stayed in Ghan House, in a garden room. The room was very disappointing, it was shabby and well past its sell by date. The bathroom was the same,with some added cracks in the ceiling, and it had a notice telling us to take down the shower head and put it back up again if it was not working, this will improve its performance. The garden was overgrown and neglected. The entrance to the garden block of accommodation had cigarette butts in an old coal scuttle, recycling bins and a large pile of gravel. The only saving grace was a clean and comfortable bed. We had dinner in the main house which was lovely and the service here was excellent. But I could not recommend the garden rooms, there was no telephone to the main house. they had 4 rooms in the main house but have no idea of the standard here. It was not a very hospitable venue.

Room Tip: do not stay in the garden rooms. Very disappointing.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple