“Stunning experience”

Ranked #8 of 29 Restaurants in Carlingford
Price range: US$38 - US$53
Cuisines: Irish, International
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Built in 1727, Ghan House is a 4* AA rated, fully restored, Georgian House. 20 yrs of awards a tree length from Medieval Carlingford. Walled mature gardens. All of Carlingford's ancient buildings dating as far back at 1210; from King John's Castle, the Dominican Friary, Mint. Taaffe's Castle old town wall are within a 2 minute walk. 1 hour Dublin & Belfast. 2 of Ireland's 3 UNESCO World Heritage sites are within easy driving distance - 45 mins Newgrange, 120 minute drive to the stunning Giant's Causeway. Titanic museum in Belfast & Dublin Convention Centre are both just 1hour. 12 bedrooms ~ 4 in the Main House (1 single 3 double) 8 Garden bedrooms 10 yards to the side of the Main House. All double & twin bedrooms bath & shower en-suite, mountain views, CD/ipod player, digital 32" smart TV Wi-fi is free. Weddings, usually on an exclusive use basis, Civil Ceremonies, private dining for special birthdays & corporate hospitality. Private parking, lockable shed for bicycles.
Reviewed 19 October 2013

Decided to eat eat here, while staying the night in Carlingford for two reasons. First we walked around looking at different menus and their taster menu was the most exciting and most reasonable and secondly because it looked like an enchanting place to go. We were not disappointed. The house was grand but comfortable and inviting. The staff were friendly, knowledge and extremely professional. The food, oh my the food I can't say enough. I can't remember the last time I ate food that was prepared with such passion, consideration for flavour and presented in a way that made me want to clap my hands with delight! Ghan house has made Carlingford seem not so far away from Belfast and we are already planning our next trip back, bringing as many friends and family as possible to let them experience something that is simply stunning.

2  Thank emcha

Reviewed 9 October 2013

Ghan House is an ideal spot for a romantic dinner. Beautiful dining room, friendly staff, and excellent dinner

1  Thank 18julie107
Reviewed 22 September 2013

This was a real treat. It's a gorgeous house with stunning gardens and full of charm. The food was outstanding and the service was very professional. A definite must when visiting Carlingford.

Reviewed 6 September 2013

went for a drive and ended up in carlingford at ghan house had read up about ghan house before and the cookery school and was expecting wonderful things yes the old Georgian house is beautiful and is in a wonderful location. the service was excellent and the food was good but I was expecting more in fact I have had a better meal in carlingford at the bay tree.

1  Thank skanker7
Reviewed 27 August 2013

We have eaten here a few times and most recently on the 14th August. Ususally we go a la carte but we decided to try the tasting menu. The food is always delicious with top-class ingredients but the tasting menu really displays the creativity and brilliance of the chef. The suckling pig and the salmon with beetroot meringue thingy (I'm sure there's a technical name) wil live long in memory! The tasting menu we had on the night differed a lttle from that on the website but I suppose that's only natural. It was great value and a real treat. Also, for anyone who hasn't been to Ghan House, I think it has a wonderful romantic sort of atmosphere - the old dining room, views across Carlingford lough, candlelight. Thanks also to the waiting staff who in our experience are very professional. Plus once you book your table, you have it for the night. A very relaxed sort of place.