“relaxing romantic getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Maynooth
dublin irl
“relaxing romantic getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I recently spent a night at the wonderful Carton house..on arrival the drive through the grounds is quite impressive and the house itself quite majestic as you approach..it is so close to Dublin but you feel a million miles away, as all of a sudden you leave the noise of the road behind..as other reviews have stated the mix of old and new are so well executed and very impressive..we were greeted by a very polite and friendly receptionist(whose name I can"t spell!!)and though we were early our room was ready,which is always a plus! he showed us to our room,"The Talbot" it is one of the house suites and is situated in the old part of the house.( if you are going for a special occasion I would definitely recommend staying in the old house as the rooms in the new building,though nice are just typical hotel rooms) our concierge explained as we walked through the windy charming corridors and salons, that each house suite is unique in design..the room did not disappoint, it had a separate lobby area with a contrasting modern and well equipped bathroom off it and a door into the room..the ceilings are wonderfully high and there is a beautiful arched window with wonderful views out over the grounds..the bed is a modern four poster and extremely comfy..the layout is a little odd though and I would think it would work better if they swapped the bed and wardrobe around(but that's just me being picky and then one wouldn't have the wonderful view from bed!!)the lighting is not great as there is no center ceiling light,possibly because of the fact it is the old building??also an ipod docking station wouldn't go a miss,none of this detracts from it however..we enjoyed a very hearty lunch in the kitchen bar(where again the staff,especially the head waitress were very well versed in customer service!!) and then made the most of the leisure facilities which are located in the new building..at dinner the restaurant was very busy as they had a full house but again the staff were fantastic.. if
we had any negative comments it would be that the food was slightly bland in comparison to the wonderful surroundings..the next morning we made the most of the beautiful grounds and enjoyed a long walk..all in all it was a wonderful experience and we would have no problem in recommending it for a romantic getaway!!we hope to return soon and try one of the other house suites!!!!

Room Tip: choose a room in the old house
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 4 March 2012
Dear boyle4,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

I am delighted to see that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I have passed your kind comments onto our staff.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future.

Deputy General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
Belfast, N.Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

It may not be often that someone with an identical name to my own, checks into an hotel on the same night but this happened on our recent visit to Carton House. This led to a room mix up and coupled with a few other niggling problems, our stay was not as relaxing as we had hoped. However the staff were very professional in dealing with these problems and ensuring that we would return to what is an excellent hotel with good facilities.
Too many times at too many hotels, the staff pay lip service to the concept of customer care, but not here. Full marks to Duty Manager Sinead & Alison on the desk. Well done guys.

Room Tip: newer rooms are closer to the spa but rooms in the old house have style.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Dear cakes57,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

Once again we are sorry for the mix up which occurred on check in and I am happy that Sinead and Alison helped to resolve the issue and ensure that you could enjoy the remainder of your stay with us.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the near future where you are sure of a warm welcome. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to make a booking and I would be delighted to look after the details for you.

Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

a fantastic stay on beautiful surroundings.
All facilities - top quality and offers top class service

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear VivM22,

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience with us and that you enjoyed the grounds and facilities on offer here in Carton House.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Cork, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

Carton House is located in a very impressive setting. I was surprised by its grandeur as we drove into the estate past the golf courses. There are excellent parking facilities and a beautiful blend of an impressive period building with a modern hotel. Honestly, I was a bit disappointed as we walked away from the old house to our room, however, our room was very nice.

The bed was a good king size, however, you could feel the margin between mattresses of the two beds put together, which was uncomfortable. The TV was also in an unusual position not conducive to watching comfortably from the bed.

The swimming pool was very nice, dressing room was clean and modern.

On Saturday night we had dinner in the Linden Tree restaurant, a waitress showed us to our table in a far corner of the restaurant which was private, but cold. The air conditioning vents behind us were blowing cold air, so we asked to move to a warmer table. After moving the waitress put another couple at that table, who also asked to be moved,,, The meal was nice, but did not match its price tag.

A glass of prosecco was on offer at the top of the menu for an additional charge of €7,50. We saw this and did not order it, but the waiter asked if we wanted it, element of 'push the prosecco', not very subtle. This also happened before dessert, would you like a cheeseboard, 'just an extra €5', no thanks, surprised he didn't ask us to Supersize.

At breakfast we were shown to our table, but strangely not asked for if we wanted tea/coffee and toast, when we asked we were told to wait for a waiter to come around. There were no waiters in our section, so we went to the buffet. When we returned there were still no waiters available so we had to go and ask for coffee and toast, We got our coffee, I poured my coffee and poured in the milk and it was SOUR! We never got our toast. When we finished our breakfast we told the lady in charge that we never got our toast, she just looked at us and walked off!

This was poor service, we raised this when we checked out, the girl at the desk unconvincingly said that she would raise it with the restaurant manager.

Overall the break was good and the room was lovely, but I felt there wasn't enough local staff to give a true sense of Cead Míle Failte.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Colum C
Dear mrc86,

On behalf of the management and staff of Carton House Hotel I would like to thank you for taking the time to review our hotel and share your experience with others.

I am happy to see that overall you had an enjoyable break with us however I would like to offer you my sincere apologies that it was not as positive as it should have been. Your experience at breakfast was unacceptable and not a true reflection of our usual standards in the restaurant. I have discussed your feedback with our Food & Beverage Team and you can rest assured that your comments on check out were recorded and discussed prior to our next service period in the Linden Tree.

I am sorry that you felt your waiter may have been overly enthusiastic when going through the menu with you which is by no means an attempt to be pushy. We have only recently launched a new Wine Listing in our restaurant and have spent a considerable amount of time in ensuring that our team have been trained up and are knowledgeable about the wines and champagnes we are offering to our guests. Prior to this new list being introduced we did not list the glass of Prosecco on the Dinner Menu. We have done this on the back of our guest’s feedback and have encouraged our team to engage with our guests on the food and wine offering so that our guests have the best experience that they can when dining with us.

We are constantly trying new things in the restaurant such as our Cheese Trolley. We have recently introduced an impressive selection of Irish and International cheeses which do not feature on our menu. Instead of listing them on our menu our waiting staff offer this additional menu item in person to our guests so that they have the opportunity to discuss the selection on offer and make recommendations as requested. Rather than being pushy we would hope that this gives our team the opportunity to interact with our guests and add to the overall enjoyment of their meal experience through sharing their knowledge of our offerings.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity of welcoming you back to Carton House in the future where you are sure of a warm welcome. Please feel free to contact me directly should you wish to make a booking and I would be delighted to look after the details for you.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

Very nice hotel located a short distance from Dublin city.

The hotel is part of the historic Carton House. The vast majority of the hotel is located in the newly built part of the hotel. The rooms and reception areas are modern bright and spacious, with walls of glass overlooking the gardens.

The restaurant is lovely, although make sure you book!

The golf club-house is good for a casual meal. And the golf course and grounds are nice for a stroll.

Room Tip: Make a reservation for dinner! If not you could be left hungry.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
CHDGM, Manager at Carton House Hotel & Golf Club, responded to this review, 23 February 2012
Dear grennanm,
Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to see that you had such a positive experience during your recent stay with us in Carton House and I have passed your kind comments on to the team.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Carton House in the near future and if I can ever be of any assistance please feel free to contact me.

Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maynooth
10.1 km away
6.2 km away
Celbridge Manor Hotel
Celbridge Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Celbridge

Been to Carton House Hotel & Golf Club? Share your experiences!